Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: With the 35th overall pick, the Rams select James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

Rams Pass on Maualuga, Take Laurinaitis
    By Jeff Gordon
    04.25.2009 6:35 pm

This worked out well: Middle linebackers fell into the second round and gave the Rams their pick.

They took James Laurinaitis of Ohio State over USC’s Ray Maualuga with the 35th overall pick in the draft. The much-decorated Buckeye will give the Rams defense some much needed heft in the middle.

Day One of the draft much be considered a success. The Rams passed on linebacker Aaron Curry to take tackle Jason Smith second overall, then they still got a solid MLB 25th overall.

Steve Spagnuolo’s team is more stout on both sides of the ball now.

Shan the Ram Man is offline Registered User

Re: With the 35th overall pick, the Rams select James Laurinaitis, LB, Ohio State

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    That could definitely be it.

Avenger brought up a great point in the chat room just now. The Rams had Rey in for a visit to Rams Park, and STILL passed on him. There's definitely about him that the Rams just didn't care for, and Rey didn't change their mind when he visited them in person.

Scott Wright at NFLDC says of Rey Maualuga, "Was arrested on suspicion of misdemeanor battery after allegedly punching a man during a party in 2005...Has faced team disciplinary action on more than one occasion." Character was likely a red flag for the Rams.
    I never heard about his battery charge. I wouldn't have wanted him either. I'm glad they didn't draft Crabtree also, making Ryan leaf type commets with a MC Hammer onterauge.

Forgive Spelling errors. Great Draft So Far

Milan is offline Registered User

I'm a huge Penn State fan and I'm extremely happy about this pick. I was hoping for Laurinaitis in the 2nd if we got Smith in the first. Great pick.

thoey is offline Registered User

“The Animal” it is...
    This space for rent...

Ramer is offline Registered User

I really like this pick. James L is a hard worker on and off the feild, and is a great open field tackler. He is going to be a great addition to our defense.

viper is online now Registered User

Laurinaitis is an excellent addition to our front seven and at a great value. IMO he's the better all around MLB of the two. Great work ethic, sound fundamentals, great football intelligence and instincts. He has all of the intangibles that you want out of your MLB.

As far as I'm concerned, we have hit a home run on the first day of the draft. What more could you have asked for? Our team just got better ladies and gentleman in arguably our two greatest positions of need.

Go Rams!!!

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Boy do I love this pick. I actually like this one more than our round one pick! I'm excited guys!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i prefer James Lau than Rey Mau...better all round player and definately an every down back...thumbs up for me...certainly more than lady legs..

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Let's just hope this pick comes to be a steal...

Alec22 is offline Registered User

Almost everyone is saying they prefer Lau over Rey M. But iam just wondering what people would have said about this if the rams had taken Rey M??

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I was on the Rey bandwagon but now i'm liking the pick. We got the best OT and the best MLB in the draft.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

I did want Mauluga, but now that I think of it Lauranatis makes more sense. First mags isn't a 3 down LB and Lauranatis is. Also if you look at Antonio Pierce in comparison to James Laurantis they are verry similar, smart LBs who people have doubted, but they are great at a little bit of everything.

Also it definately says something with Mags falling so far and the only team that picked him up was the jail bengals. I mean what is up with the Bengals it is like they only go after bad character guys besides Keith Rivers.

MLB Laurinaitis a strong pick in second round
    By Roger Hensley
    04.25.2009 7:33 pm

THE WATERCOOLER

QUESTION: With the St. Louis Rams’ second pick (35th overall and No. 3 in Round 2), the team selected Ohio State LB James Laurinaitis. What are you thoughts on this selection?

JIM THOMAS
    When North Carolina receiver Hakeem Nicks went off the board late in the first round, the team’s hopes of landing a wideout in Round 2 were scuttled. Although not a thumper, Laurinaitis is a nice consolation prize for a defense that needs all the help it can get.

BILL COATS
    Very good pick. He’s a legitimate three-down linebacker, as opposed to USC’s Maualuga, and will fill a major need at middle linebacker.

BRYAN BURWELL
    This second pick couldn’t have worked out any better for the Rams. At least on paper, Laurinaitis is exactly what they need.

JEFF GORDON
    The Rams went two-for-two on Day One of the draft. Adding MLB James Laurinaitis adds heft to a defense clearly lacking it last season. He should emerge as a more forceful alternative to Chris Draft, thus making it easier to keep Will Witherspoon outside. He is better in coverage than Rey Maualuga, so he was a better choice than the former USC star. He is a solid character guy, he fills a glaring need — really, what’s not to like about this guy?

KATHLEEN NELSON
    I like the pick. Linebacker was one of the most glaring needs, and he can be a visible force right away. Plus, he’s a character guy, winning the first Lowe’s Senior CLASS award. Plus, like Jason Smith, Laurinaitis wants to be a Ram.

The Wrestler’s Son Comes To The STL
    By Jeff Gordon
    04.25.2009 7:34 pm

New Rams linebacker James Laurinaitis comes from aggressive lineage. His father Joe was best known as Road Warrior Animal.

He and Road Warrior Hawk once ruled professional wrestling as the tag-team champion Road Warriors.

Now Laurinaitis, a four-year standout at Ohio State, will bring a different sort of intensity to St. Louis. He seems like an ideal fit for what new Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo is doing with his defense. He is an every down linebacker with a nose for the ball.

“Coach is know for his defense,” Laurinaitis said. “I’m excited to see what kind of player I can become in his scheme.”

He promised not to free lance.

“I play within the system, very disciplined,” he said. “I’m not going to have my own agenda. I will do whatever the coach wants me to.”

If the Rams wanted him to play outside, he’ll play outside.

“I’ve been able to play a little bit of both,” he said. “I’ve played ‘Mike’ and I’m used to it. I like playing the middle. It’s where I’ve been comfortable the last three years.”

Had Laurinaitis come out a year ago, he might have gone in the first round. But he doesn’t second guess his decision to stay in school.

“Whatever happens, happens,” he said. “A lot of guys get picked early and they’re out of the league in four or five years.”

Devaney REALLY wanted Laurinaitis
    By Jeff Gordon
    04.25.2009 7:44 pm

There was no secret that Billy Devaney coveted Ohio State middle linebacker James Laurinaitis.

As the first round wound down and Laurinaitis was still on the board, he tried to trade up to get him. Nothing materialized, so he sat back and hoped for the best.

Laurinaitis knew the Rams wanted him. St. Louis was the first team to bring him in him for a visit.

His agent, Tom Condon, advised him that a trade was possibility. And if Laurinaitis fell into the second round, he knew the Rams wouldn’t let him pass.

And the Rams managed to get him without giving up anything extra. “Some of the best trades are the ones you don’t make,” Devaney said.

What did he want him so badly?

“He has the size (244 pounds) we’re looking for,” Devaney said. “He loves football.

“We talked about getting bigger. He adds size to our linebacker corps.

“He’s been a tackling machine. He can play all three downs. He’ll be a core special teams player.”

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast