Curly Horns is offline Registered User

4-3 Mix it up Haslett

:l

From the Inside Slant:
    During camp, the Rams will try alignments where there won't have a true nose tackle, calling their inside players just right and left tackles. There will be times when nose tackle skills will be needed, but others when pass-rush ability is wanted. Carriker believe he's versatile enough to do both even with added weight.

I found this interesting and quite to my liking after the recent discussion about the nose tackle in the Rams 4-3 defense.

I was excited to see the Rams draft Adam Carriker, but it was somewhat disconcerting for me to hear that he was slated for the starting NT position. As we all know, rookies often hit the wall during the course of their first season. NT can carry an added load on the way to that wall and it remains to be seen just how strong this kid really is.

I believe he has the talent and quickness to be much more than a one-dimensional NT. He will probably be short on technique come seasons start, although, I think he has the mental capacity and attitude for a quick learning curve.

Having said that, I still feel he is going to need some help in the form of mixing up the base 4-3. I am confident that he will show the versatility needed when Haslett begins to change things up.

Overall, I am pretty high on this kid. He grew up in my neck of the woods and I have a special feeling about him. The attitude, size, quickness and natural strength, all are traits reminiscent of former Rams great and HOFer Merlin Olsen.

LETS GO RAMS

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 4-3 Mix it up Haslett

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post
    Overall, I am pretty high on this kid. He grew up in my neck of the woods and I have a special feeling about him. The attitude, size, quickness and natural strength, all are traits reminiscent of former Rams great and HOFer Merlin Olsen.
    Obviously it's a big step from the NCAA to the NFL and there's always a learning curve, but I agree with you Ferter that this guy is going to be special. Every year there's a rookie or two that set the league on fire, and my money is on Carriker to be one of those guys in 2007.

RealRam is offline Registered User

FERTER! So good to see you! Or maybe your e-mail from Antartica just took very long...

What a privilege for AC to be mentioned in any positive regard to the great Merlin. I kind of imagine our young Adam solemnly bowing repeatedly with arms out in front: "...not worthy, not worthy."
    Last edited by RealRam; -06-27-2007 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Format

z.nrd Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter View Post

From the Inside Slant:

I found this interesting and quite to my liking after the recent discussion about the nose tackle in the Rams 4-3 defense.

I was excited to see the Rams draft Adam Carriker, but it was somewhat disconcerting for me to hear that he was slated for the starting NT position. As we all know, rookies often hit the wall during the course of their first season. NT can carry an added load on the way to that wall and it remains to be seen just how strong this kid really is.

I believe he has the talent and quickness to be much more than a one-dimensional NT. He will probably be short on technique come seasons start, although, I think he has the mental capacity and attitude for a quick learning curve.

Having said that, I still feel he is going to need some help in the form of mixing up the base 4-3. I am confident that he will show the versatility needed when Haslett begins to change things up.

LETS GO RAMS

Actually the truth is, most rookie NTs have a better chance of starting than traditional DTs. That is probably because they have much narrower, more specific responsibilities at NT. Easier to learn.

What the Rams are doing doesn';t help.

Whoever plays DT for the Rams will have to know MORE things this way, not LESS stuff.

Playing straight-up NT would have been much easier, in comparison.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RealRam View Post
    FERTER! So good to see you!
    Thank you for the greeting RealRam, and yes it will be a tall order for AC to match the greatness of Merlin at this point. Let's hope he is up to the challenge. I have a strong inkling that he will be.

Quote Originally Posted by z.nrd
    Actually the truth is, most rookie NTs have a better chance of starting than traditional DTs. That is probably because they have much narrower, more specific responsibilities at NT. Easier to learn.
    Interesting how your opinion is now the actual truth. Most truths are certainties rather than probables.

Besides that, you missed the point.

I was concerned with the physical workload of him playing 2 gap on a continuous basis. I would think the physical demands of often taking on two interior offensive lineman could easily wear down a rookie.

As I stated, I think he has the mental capacity for a quick learning curve. We are talking about a former high school QB. I would say he has seen and memorized a few playbooks in his time. I would also venture to guess he has a good feel for the intricacies of the game itself.

I do not know of you that well, z.nrd, so perhaps I misread you, but initially you strike me as the negative type of fan. One that is never really happy or can never seem to think of any positive aspects of what the team you supposedly ROOT for is currently doing.

Nothing is etched in stone. The Rams are simply talking about changing up the alignments during camp. And yet you spout off "What the Rams are doing doesn't help".

Quite frankly, I really do not see how it can hurt in the slightest. What in the sam hell do "YOU" think camp is for?

LETS GO RAMS