Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: With the 47th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsin

Ram Mar Ram is offline Registered User

Re: With the 47th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsi

Was initially hacked-off when i was on the chat board, coz i didnt know who he was and they left Paea on the board. They obviously dont have any faith in Fells, little faith in Hoowai and Bejema. I just thought they could have gotten him in the 3rd-4th round. Why reach for picks when you got good guys on the board available.

But if he fits the system McD wants to implement and create mismatches over the middle then so be it ...

At the end of the day folks, they guys know more than most and have drafted well in the past couple years.

Just a bit bitter that Paea was there. sooo close.

3rd Round ... Ballard ... is he gone?

Aussie Dave is online now Registered User

Re: With the 47th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Lance Kendricks, TE, Wisconsi

i was also surprised by the pick but if billy d and spags wanted this guy, then thats fine with me..

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Terrible pick.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

When Devaney has had FULL control he has done nothing, but excel in the second round even when we have doubted him and a lot of definitely initially doubted Lauranatis and even more so Rodger Saffold both guys I would say are top 5 Rams draft picks of the decade.

IMO his ceiling would be Owen Daniels (When healthy) and his bottom would be Travis Beckum.

You have Gronk in Oh-Oh and Hernandez in Kendricks. Gives us alot of options out of the base formation with 2 TEs and probably DX and Clayton on the outside. You also have Avery, Amendola, Pettis, and gillyard or gibson.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

WTF!!! I am absolutely flabbergasted with this pick. Seems like a complete waste. An irresponsible pick on our part. If this guy is not better than Hoomanawanui, there is absolutely no way a smart man picks him in the second round, with far better options still remaining on the board. How about Jackson's heir apparent at this spot? Far more of a need in my estimation. I'm so disappointed I don't know what to do.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

After I've had some time to let the blood cool, I'm not exactly disappointed in the player we got--just the players we didn't get. I just can't shake the feeling that it's a luxury pick. We had a pretty raw lot at tight end, but even still, I'd have ranked WR, FS, DT, RG, SLB, WLB, SS and #2RB ahead of TE on the need scale. In other words, 9th greatest need of the 22 starting positions on offense and defense. I suppose it makes sense to get the new offensive coordinator some toys, but we're really going to need Kendricks to come up big since we decided to take him in lieu of a receiver.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Not thrilled with the pick, but if McDaniels feels this is what he needs to be successful, so be it. I'm high on Illinois Mike and see Fells as serviceable, so I didn't really think TE was an area of need. Maybe health and hand issues played into this decision, I don't know. I'll hope for the best and wait like everybody else to see how this pans out. I just don't want to see another Brian Leonard or Joe Klopfenstein (who was described much like Kendricks) situation.

cfh128 is online now Registered User

I took a dump all over VegasRam when he picked Rudolph in the ClanRam Scouts mock. So you can imagine how thrilled I was to see us take Kendricks in the 2nd.

But whats done is done. While this is not how I would have preferred for this pick to go, hes a Ram now, so lets give him his day in court before we write this off as a wasted pick. Maybe he turns into a great safety net for Bradford and we will all love him.

I will say this however. Thats 3 TE's drafted in the last 2 years. That is more than enough. Lets work on fixing the rest of our team now.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Yeah, I think Mike flashed some big play potential when healthy and hopefully we'll see both get some time in the offense. They should both have enough blocking skills to line up in some jumbo formations, especially around the redzone. Between Kendricks and Pettis and the guys we already have, we won't have much excuse not to score once we get inside the 20.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

I won't understand this pick until Lance Kendricks makes me understand. I'm still scratching me head trying to figure out what this guy does to be the 47th pick, but whatever.

I just feel like a lot of teams got better with their second round picks, and I don't know how much better we are with a Lance Kendricks.

Bald_81 is offline Registered User

I would like to know what makes Lance Kendricks a better prospect than Travis Beckum. Both went to Wisconsin and have eerily similiar measurables:

Kendricks
    Ht. 6'2
    Wt. 243 lbs.
    40 yd. - 4.57
    10 yd. - 1.56
    225 lbs. rep - 25
    Vert - 38 1/2
    Broad Jump - 10'02"
    3-Cone - 6.94

Beckum
    Ht. 6'3
    Wt. 239 lbs.
    40 yd. - 4.61
    10 yd. - 1.56
    225 lbs. rep - 28
    Vert - 38 1/2
    Broad Jump - 9'10"
    3-Cone - 7.05

Yet, Beckum was drafted 100th overall compared to Kendricks who we took at #47 tonight. Beckum's best season as a starter also trumps Kendricks senior season (the only one he was entrenched as a starter). I'm just wary that Kendricks may have been pushed up not only by a mediocre tight end class but draft class overall and although I don't hate the pick, there is reason to be somewhat skeptical about it.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Remember last night how excited we all were over the Quinn pick? I was almost as giddy as a school girl. Man oh man that seems like it was ages ago already. Those happy feelings are definitely gone with our selections of Kendricks and Pettis in rounds 2 and 3.

First Kendricks and now Pettis...is the suffering over yet?

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Just because Kendricks is the "2nd best" TE in this draft, doesn't really mean anything. When looking at the TE class in this draft, it is very very weak. Kyle Rudolph isn't that great, and after him, the talent drop is sharp.

Hopefully Kendricks IS similar to Hernandez, and it's not just McDaniels/Devaney HOPING that Kendricks is similar to Hernandez.

The players we could have gotten... I would much rather have had Paea on our line to solidify it and keep our current TEs.

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

If you guys really think about it you could understand.

1) Uh Oh is having a real tough time with injuries. He as injured his ankles 3 times now and only caught like 15 passes last season. It was a huge risk to go with him as a starter next year.

2) Daniel Fells is a free agent and just got his ticket stamped to get out of here. No more inconsistency. Fells would have a decent game than a few bad ones. Done with that.

3) We were absolutely horrendous in the redzone last year. The Kendricks pick certainly helps us out there. He causes a match up problem for the defence having good size and good speed. Had we been able to score TD's instead of FG's we could have been in the playoffs.

4) I noticed 2 things last season. When DX was out our offense significantly dropped in all categories. The same went for when Mike Hoomanawanui was out. He had 2 big touchdowns for 30+ yards each. Imagine how much better we would have been with him playing all season?

5) And last but not least...give another toy for our Pro Bowl to-be-QB. He needs some help and hopefully he gets some here.

If this isn't enough to convince you, im not sure what is. Some will argue we should have taken him later which is understandable. But when you see a player on the board and you think highly of him, take him. In 3 years if Kendricks is a Pro Bowler nobody will complain.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

I guess I'm one of the few that liked this pick. First of all, Aj Green and Julio were clearly graded way higher than the second tier group, none of which apparently "wowed" the Rams worthy enough to consider to take in the 2nd round. Kendricks gives us a TE with plenty of upside, just watch the film. Gotta think positive fellas
    Last edited by eric2810; -04-30-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    SWFCRAM likes this.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast