Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    smokeybandit is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 101st overall): Justin King, CB, Penn State

One thing to remember about King, he was an underclassman in football eligibility only. He graduated this past December after only three years.

Also, King is NOT a converted receiver. He came to Penn State as a CB prospect. His first year, he played both ways since he was such a great athlete and they needed to find a way to get him on the field. He ended up playing more WR than CB that year because PSU only had 3 legit WRs on the roster, and the best one broke his arm half way though the year, so King filled in.
    Last edited by smokeybandit; -04-27-2008 at 02:37 PM.

BigGameMN is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 101st overall): Justin King, CB, Penn State

I really like this pick, if he went back to school next year he could have been a top 10 pick.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Re: #4a 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 101st overall): Justin King, CB, Penn Stat

I like this pick at this spot. Most had King as a 2nd or 3rd round prospect. With Hill, Bartell, Wade and King, the Rams will have a bunch of young, athletic, CBs all trying to make a name for themselves.

Let the competition begin!

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: #4a 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 101st overall): Justin King, CB, Penn Stat

Post Dispatch Draft Capsule...

ROUND 4 (No. 101 overall): JUSTIN KING
    Position: Cornerback
    Height, weight: 5-10, 192
    College: Penn State

COLLEGE RECAP
    Selected to the Sporting News’ Freshman All-American team, starting five of 12
    games as a slot receiver in addition to reserve duty at cornerback. He switched
    full-time to cornerback in 2006 and was a first-team All-Big Ten pick in 2007.
    Was involved in an off-campus incident in April 2007; charges of criminal
    trespass, disorderly conduct and harassment were dropped because of lack of
    evidence.

PLUSES
    Good leaping ability. Ran 4.3 speed in the 40, and has a smooth running stride.
    Shows proper timing to make plays on the ball in flight. Shows good
    acceleration staying with receivers on deep routes. Possesses a closing burst
    to prevent long gains on throws underneath.

MINUSES
    Strength was rated as marginal, and he seems to shy away from contact in run
    support. He tends to give receivers a large cushion, which bigger receivers use
    to their advantage. More of an ankle-biter as a tackler.

PROJECTED ROLE
    Should fit into special teams and provide depth in the defensive backfield.
    Consider him a project.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

It's nice that the Rams are taking character guys who are smart. I'm tired of players making idiotic decisions on and off the field. Nice development in this years draft.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Head Coach Scott Linehan and Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Billy Devaney

Press Conference No. 2

April 27, 2008

(On fourth-round choice Justin King)

Billy Devaney: We selected Justin King, a corner from Penn State. Keeping with the theme that we set early in this process, he is a smart character guy. He is passionate and productive. This guy is a guy that meets all those requirements. Justin has good size and is a big time speed guy in the 4.37s. He’s got man cover skills. He is a smart guy. He graduated from Penn State this past December with about a 3.0 GPA. He has been a Dean’s List guy and a good character guy. We thought, especially in this point of the draft, to get a good sized corner, who can run and with that kind of smarts and character, obviously we feel really good about it.

(On King being raw)

BD: He was a wide receiver his freshman year and he went back and forth between DB and wide out. So, I wouldn’t say that he is raw, he has started every game his last two years at corner, but his background is on offense. So that’s the only thing we could think of and obviously we don’t view that as a negative because the way we look at it, he will only get better, the more he plays at corner.

(On how he compares to Jonathan Wade)

Scott Linehan: I think he made the move a little sooner than Jonathan (Wade). He has been playing corner since the end of his freshman year. He played a little bit his first year, but the last few years he has pretty much primarily been a corner. He has great speed and has got the size requirements you need for the position. The great thing about this guy is that he is making those steps that you want to see him make as far as improvement from his position in college. He is an early up player that’s all part of it, that probably it more than anything. The guy already graduated from the Dean’s List which shows you that he has got a lot on the ball as far as that goes. He is a very very top notch guy with talent. I think the biggest thing is that we are adding speed to our football team at the skill positions and really it is going to be vital to our ability to win. We’ve drafted two skill guys that can flat fly now.

(On King’s return ability because of his speed)

SL: He has done some returning. I think that he has a chance, but he has done some. It’s not going to be his primary position but he will definitely get a chance there, just like I think Donnie (Avery) will get some shots in there returning too, maybe kickoff returning.

(On King’s ability to play inside)

BD: He has been on the outside, but there is no reason he couldn’t. He is a tough guy and is smart and that is part of the requirements playing inside, so there is no reason, that if we lined him up in there, that he shouldn’t be able to play inside.

(On his physicality and his tackling ability)

SL: That is a big part of what we do. We use our corners in the run support part of things and he is a very willing tackler. He played at Penn State, so the first day of practice he was probably going through the West Point drill. He understands what’s required of corners. He is a sure tackler and he gets guys on the ground. The other thing is that I think last year he had 15 pass deflections which is a high number, which is good. He is a sticky coverage guy and is around the ball and that is a big part of his evaluation was that he had nice coverage skills.

(On how King’s speed ranked compared to other corners)

SL: He was one of the top speed guys at the position. I think he ran in the mid 4.3s in the combine. He’s got some.

(On King’s off-the-field character)

SL: These guys are all the top character grade you can get. All of them. Stay with that theme and I think we can win with that.

BD: We have been emphatic about that. When we started this process, we’ve had sort of a zero tolerance policy if you will, regardless of the level of ability. High-round guys, late-round guys, free agents, we aren’t compromising on that.

(On the King playing in the Big Ten)

SL: It always helps. The level of competition, fairly or unfairly, is always a big part of it. This guy has been playing in one of the best conferences in football and is playing at a high level. We just really think a lot of him.

(On the rest of the draft, addressing needs or best player available)

BD: It is a little bit of both. You want to stick to your board as much as possible now because it starts really falling apart and if you have a guy graded at a certain position even if it’s not a primary need position right now, the gap now becomes so big that you can really violate the process if you start drafting just need specific. We’re going to stick to the board as much as possible hoping that there’s options there of course, but we will stick to the board as much as we can.

(On why they chose a corner)

SL: I just think corners are a position that you really need to put yourself in good position with. You got to have four. You really have to feel good about having four corners going into each game, if there is such a thing. Sometimes you have to go with three but you’d like to start the year with five if you could. Corners are a commodity. We have a division that is challenging match up wise. You get guys that can that have good coverage skills and can do all the other things and can play, then that definitely helps us.

(On King being ready right away)
    SL: I think that it is going to be a while. We will see. I always go back to other players. I thought Jonathan (Wade) started off very well last year and then took some development and came on to play better at the end of the year and really contributed on special teams. You don’t really set a time table for these young, skilled athletes. I think you’ve got to have a little bit of patience. It is unrealistic to think that he is going to do anything right away. I promise you that he will be starting off on core special teams and learning the position and when he is ready, we’ll put him out there. We have a little bit of depth there on the roster so we can be a little smart and patient with the guy. I think that is a luxury we have right now.

(On cornerback competition)

SL: There is going to be great competition. That’s the one comment I made upstairs. This is a great pick and we’ve got some great competition at corner. That’s never a bad thing, seeing your abilities when the competition heats up.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Great pick. Excellent value. I'm finding it difficult to say anything else!

VegasRam is offline Ram MVP

Cannot wait to see this guy play.
    "the Heart Lies and the Head Plays Tricks with us, but the Eyes See True".

The Special One is offline Registered User

I'm a really big fan of picking King here. He's extremely young at only 20, and I think with one or two years of development, he could really be something special.

Don't get me wrong, he's still got a lot to learn, but he's a talented football player, and has the attitude to make himself into a better player.

I love the young secondary corps were building: Hill, Brown, Wade, Atogwe....and now King...it's great to have so much competetion.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    I love the young secondary corps were building: Hill, Brown, Wade, Atogwe....and now King...it's great to have so much competetion.
    Did you inadvertantly forget R. Bartell or do you think that he is not going to figure in future Rams' plans?

WHAT SAY YE?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12