throwback week

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    andy82 Guest

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 128th overall): Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

So when are we gonna get our ****ing starting SLB then

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 128th overall): Keenan Burton, WR, Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by andy82 View Post
    So when are we gonna get our ****ing starting SLB then
    It's very likely the Rams feel they already have him in either Draft or Culberson. They seem to be high on both.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

dgr828 is offline Registered User

BTW, Burtons' coach in college (UK) was Rich Brooks. The 1st coach of the Saint Louis Rams.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Rams trade up, add another receiver
    By Jeff Gordon
    04/27/2008 12:39 pm

And that guy is Keenan Burton from Kentucky, He is more a wideout than a slot receiver and he will add to the receiver competition at training camp.

That sad-sack needed all the help the Rams could locate. The Rams spent a seventh-round pick to move from the fifth round into the fourth round (128th overall) and take Burton.

The Rams war room was running out of preferred prospects to select. Hence the move up. “There are only a few out there that are real, viable prospects,” personnel czar Billy Devaney said.

“He has really good hands, but can stretch the field as well,” coach Scott Linehan said of Burton. “This kid is a good route runner and he will go over the middle to make the tough catch.

“He played with a lot of true injuries (in 2007) that a lot of guys (wouldn’t have played with).

Rambos is offline Registered User

Chipper we trade up for a guy who has been hurt every year he has played and you looove it. The beer must be flowing.
    Yeah just think how high in the draft he might have gone if he did not miss playing time.

Is a strong runner after the catch, gaining good yardage after contact and showing the agility to make would-be tacklers miss. Is a strong blocker who consistently eliminates men. Is a solid kickoff returner.
    I like the pick here to trade up and get him works for me.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I like him better then Avery, and wish we had taken a LB or S with the second pick if the Rams had this guy in mind.

RamOfDenmark Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's very likely the Rams feel they already have him in either Draft or Culberson. They seem to be high on both.
    I think so. The fact that we also let Brandon Chillar go suggests that our coaches are very high on Culberson I think (perhaps Draft, but I think mostly Culberson because he is younger - I bet they're planning on letting Culberson start unless someone else takes the job away from him). I guess I just don't see the big need for a LB that some people do - I think our LB corps is fine as it is, we have bigger needs at most other positions IMO.

Sounds like we made a decent pick here - a strong physical guy who'll catch it over the middle - a type of receiver that we have been lacking. At any rate he should be able to replace a guy like Looker as a good 3rd down option with more future potential and better speed as well.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    WOW, I had no idea who this guy was, but that highlight video really impressed me. If he can stay healthy and develop, he could definitely end up starting on the outside down the road.

38-43 inch vertical leap, 4.4 speed, smooth moves, yet he was known as a tough possession receiver... lots of potential in this guy.

Interesting to note that Avery, King, and Burton have all been viewed (from what I've read) as potential kick returners.

-jake-

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Re: #4b 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 128th overall): Keenan Burton, WR, Kentuck

Not a guy who was on my radar, I must confess, but I like what I'm reading. I also like the idea of getting some depth at WR. We can't run a Saunders offense with Hagans, Looker and Caldwell.

Re: #4b 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 4, 128th overall): Keenan Burton, WR, Kentuck

Post Dispatch Draft Capsule...

ROUND 4 (No. 128 overall): KEENAN BURTON
    Position: WR
    Height, weight: 6-0, 202
    College: Kentucky

COLLEGE RECAP
    No. 4 in Kentucky history in TD catches (25), third in receiving yards (2,320)
    and fourth in receptions (182). Dangerous kick returner who amassed more than
    4,000 career all-purpose yards.

PLUSES
    Good size, speed (4.4 for 40 yards) and leaping ability (43½-inch vertical).
    Nice change-of-direction skills. Crisp route-runner. Has ability to get open.
    Willing to play hurt.

MINUSES
    Long list of injuries in college. Doesn’t always use hands to make catches,
    cradling the ball instead. So-so burst off the line of scrimmage.

PROJECTED ROLE
    Will get a shot to break into corps of wideouts. Also will get a look as a
    return man.

Yodude is offline Registered User

Not suprised that he was dinged up a bit in college if you watched those highlight videos. Apparently he likes to go over the middle and he certainly doesn't shy away from contact. Did you guys notice how he ran over those defensive backs near the goal line?

It will be refreshing to see a Ram receiver who, with the impending contact of a tackle looming, lowers his head to deliver a blow rather than look for the fastest way to the turf.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Ramer Guest

I love this pick! Go Rams!

Head Coach Scott Linehan and Executive Vice President of Player Personnel Billy Devaney

Press Conference No. 3

April 27, 2008

(On draft pick WR Keenan Burton)

Billy Devaney: “We just made a trade with Green Bay. We swapped picks and gave up our 7th round pick, not the compensatory, we couldn’t trade our own pick in the 7th round and we used that Green Bay pick to take Keenan Burton, a wide receiver from Kentucky. This is a guy who has good size. He is a little bit over 6’ and a half and 200 pounds with good speed and return ability. Probably the reason why Burton dropped to this point is because he battled some injuries in the early part of his career and he was hampered by some minor ones this year. He had a sprained ankle and I think a hamstring this year that he fought through. He has got really good hands, runs great routes and he is a really smart guy. He fits the mold we have been stressing. Now we have some depth at wide out and it has put us in a position where there is going to be great competition once we get to training camp. Burton will be in the mix and get his chance as wide out and kick returner.”

(On deciding to draft Burton)

BD: “When we get to this point when the board is rapidly falling apart, there are just a few guys up there right now that we have really good feelings about. There are some guys we might take a shot at who have real projections. There are only a few up there that we think are real viable prospects and Burton was at the top of that list so we figured why not go get a guy that everybody has a conviction about rather than run the risk of losing him if we just stayed put.”

(On Burton’s assets)

Scott Linehan: “The speed is a huge factor. You have got to be productive. I’ve said this about every other position and they have to be smart guys and passionate to have production. Then we get into this profile with the position. This guy is a little over 6-foot tall, about 200 pounds, ran a 4.4, he has a great change in direction. He and (Donnie) Avery were one of the top five in the Combine in the three cone, which is a test. But this is a change of direction I think very relevant for the receiver position because it shows change of direction, get in and out, cut, things like that. The production part to me is very important. I think you like to see their body of work. Throughout his career, he had a great junior year. Senior year, he wasn’t as productive although he played injured and played through it so this shows this kid’s toughness. He played with a lot of true injuries that a lot of guys might not try to go so he adds that dimension. I like this kid’s ability though because he’s got very good hands but also good stretch of the field as well. I think my biggest goal personally and as an organization that we talked about was adding speed to our team. I really felt if we could put some speed at our receiver it would really help our system because it’s built on that. This kid is a good route runner. He makes tough catches and goes over the middle a lot like Donnie and it’s going to really put a lot of competition on that receiver position as well.”

(On how Burton and second-round choice Donnie Avery are similar)

SL: “The one thing you see in Donnie, because I set up a lot of things for him and their system because they catch a lot of bubble screens and receiver screens. The thing you have got to see Keenan do is catch the ball on those intermediate routes and run with it. He is tough, he looks fearless about going to the ball and attacks the football with his hands and does run with it very well.”

(On competition with Dante Hall)

SL: “I think kick-off returns. I think we are going to have a very interesting battle there. We start Dante, he is probably still pretty good at that too. So we have options there. We have Derek Stanley still who showed some promise at the end of the year last year. Dante, before he got injured last year, was doing a really nice job for us. That is one area I think will be fun keeping an eye on.”

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Great pick. Has all the potential in the world to be productive if he can just avoid those injuries!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12