UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

4th and 1 in the 4th

We were 4th and 1 with about 5 minutes left in the 4th quarter. We were down by 4 points. I really wanted to go for the 4th down conversion. I did not think there was enough time left in the game to punt and stop them.

Did you guys agree with Hazlett's decision at that time?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

mhall39 is offline Registered User

Re: 4th and 1 in the 4th

definaly should have went for it.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

I am really beginning to think Haslett is a bonehead - that particular aforementioned sequence included.

But what about at the end of the first half, the 'Phins have 4th down and are going to kick the field goal with 31 seconds left, and we don't use a timeout. 31 seconds! Alot can happen in 31 seconds, yet we don't even have the gall to give it a shot? I believe we had two timeouts left!

Are you kidding me? Either he doesn't have the balls to be more aggressive, or he just isn't paying attention.

Same with Saunders, so conservative. What ever happened to a slant route? What about those smoke routes that Avery has been getting six or seven yards a pop on? Not a single try today! Truly fascinating ....

And I can say this for a fact - We did not blitz ONE TIME this game. Not a single linebacker or DB came on a blitz. It is truly fascinating.

bigredman is offline Registered User

You know, under normal circumstances, his call was the correct one. As it turned out, we got the ball back with plenty of time to do something...under normal circumstances. However, our record is dismal, our offense was inconsistent and stalled every time we got into the red zone. We needed something to fire up the troops for one last drive to win that game. So yes...I believe we should have went for it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'm a big fan of Tuesday Morning QB on ESPN.com and one if his big gripes is about gutless coaches who play not to lose and to avoid shutouts. He's had a field day on Haslett the last few weeks as we've been a field goal team when down by 40 and not going for it on 4th down.

I fully agree... what did we have to lose? Another game? Big deal, we already are sucking it up out there, or else we'd have scored something other than a field goal today. Go for it on 4th down and show you have something resembling courage. I don't care if we don't make it, tell your guys that you trust them to go out there and achieve something. What happened to "the Redskins are going to score, but it doesn't matter, because we're going to drive and win it ourselves"? Hmm?

You play to win the game... let's find a team and coaching staff that actually believes that.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

We were 2 and 9 and now possibly 2 and 10 because of that decision. Yeah, we got the ball back, but with such little time that it limited what we could do on offense. It's not like we only needed a FG to win. Haslett is incredibly boring and unimaginative. We were running the ball pretty effectively today- put Jackson back in and let him get a friggin yard. That's why Haslett will be unemployed next season and that's why the Saints cut him loose.

mh-i is offline Registered User

The Rams had nothing to lose by going for it in that situation. It's not like a win or a loss means anything to the Rams as far as the standings are concerned. Haslett was coaching like it was a playoff game or the Super Bowl.

fenki is offline Registered User

who cares if we don't convert the 4th down? lets go for it!

With the offensive performance of the game you need to try it.

It was a pretty coward-like call on not going for it. If you convert it gives a boost to the offense, if you don't you can say at least that you tried it. Doesn't matter for the outcome of the game cause you can even not be sure of gaining points by punting and hoping that your defense can stop them.

Hope that we take more risk in situations like that the next time...

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I too hiku TMQ. Another peev of Easterbrooks is over blitzing defenses. We didn't and played much better (against this team).

My gripe is not so much not going on the fourth down, but in how we handled the last drive. WTH? There was no ergency. The guys were lost or didn't seem to care. This has always been Bulgers deal with me. And I felt we had timeouts left! This was shody buisness alround.
    I'm the guy that walks up after the argument's started.

locazn is offline Registered User

We should have went for it. We couldn't get a touchdown all day with time on the clock... I wonder what was on Haslett's Mind to think that we would score a TD in the final two minutes back deep in our territory?

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

I get what you guys are saying, but it looks like i'm a minority here, cuz personally, i didn't have a problem with the call. I also don't recall that being a 4th and 1. it was more like a 4th and 2 or 3. More than 5 minutes remained and the dolphin offense was struggling just as much as the Rams offense. The team is within one score. punt it and you play a field position game and push the dolphins back. go for it and get it: you're still 60 yards from getting the score. go for it and don't get it, you just gave the dolphins their best field position of the game to put the game away for good by putting the Rams down by MORE than two scores.

don't know what i would have done in the situation, but i didn't have a problem with the call itself. There's a heck of a lot more that went wrong on Sunday, and a heck of a lot more we could drum up about Haslett than this should he or shouldn't he have gone for it call.