Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Re: The 4th & 1 at the end of the game

Quote Originally Posted by theodus69 View Post
    Mom, raminfinty won't stop touching me.Are we there yet? Fettmaster keeps kicking me. how much longer?
    Hardy-har, lets finally get back on topic shall we?

Rams had a great stop on 4th and 1, ey guys?

theodus69 Guest

Fett... Hardee har to you also my friend. i'm just playing. You know lighten the moment a bit.

RamsFanSam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Mom, raminfinty won't stop touching me.Are we there yet? Fettmaster keeps kicking me. how much longer?
    Uh oh...now you did it. You tattletale! Now we're ALL in trouble!

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Fett... Hardee har to you also my friend. i'm just playing. You know lighten the moment a bit.
    I know man, it worked lol.

Reading the thread again, I really killed it with my first post haha. Sorry guys.

MOM
    MOM is offline Registered User

Since my name came into it...LOL....

1. Don't make me stop this car!
    2. Your father WILL hear about this!

Don't make me get out the paddle! We'll be there IN A MINUTE!!!!!!!!!!! Heeheehee
    Last edited by MOM; -09-20-2009 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Forgot something
    [SIGPIC]http://www.stickershoppe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/MLRPANCmini.jpg[/SIGPIC]This is for Randy! GO BRM!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Fettmaster View Post
    Hehe I don't wanna be a debbie downer but they play Zorn called I think had something to do with the 4th and 1 stop. If Portis runs up the middle, he gets the first methinks.
    I'm probably just covering old ground, but if Portis could have turned inside, he would have. But he couldn't. The hole wasn't there with defenders slanting into it. The D-line made a great push and stretched it out to the edge where SOA and company were waiting for him.

Sure wish they could have made the stop on the earlier 4th and 1, but I'll take this stop to grow on.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    I'm probably just covering old ground, but if Portis could have turned inside, he would have. But he couldn't. The hole wasn't there with defenders slanting into it. The D-line made a great push and stretched it out to the edge where SOA and company were waiting for him.

Sure wish they could have made the stop on the earlier 4th and 1, but I'll take this stop to grow on.
    You can go back and watch that play again, and the Rams manhandled the Redskins D, and basically blew up every lane there was ...

Vobora made the critical stop. Quite a 7th round find in my opinion, he is playing more than solid football ....

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

That stop was awesome.

My question is why didn't Washington go for the FG? Up 9-7 a FG means the opposition (RAMS) have to score a TD to win the game?

If that was our team in that situation I would have been screaming for us to attempt the FG rather than going for the 4th and 1.

Puzzling to say the least.....

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    That stop was awesome.

My question is why didn't Washington go for the FG? Up 9-7 a FG means the opposition (RAMS) have to score a TD to win the game?

If that was our team in that situation I would have been screaming for us to attempt the FG rather than going for the 4th and 1.

Puzzling to say the least.....
    I think Zorn was willing to either, (a) challenge the Rams semi-incompetent offense to score a late TD with no timeouts or (b) travel the length of the field to kick a field goal. Either way considering their field position it was a win, win situation from Zorn since Avery, who beat them last time, was having a regrettable game and we lacked a passing game.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

The stretch call was horrible. Portis up the middle would have gotten it for sure. I think the key play that lost us the game Avery's fumble in the red zone. That would have changed the entire complexion IMO. The O-line got dominated but the redskins have a great D-Line so I cant blame them there. I sill don't think Jaxx got enough touches, and the 4th down fake punt when we couldn't get the snap off had me pulling my hair out. The redskins played a horrible game, we won it for them. Need to show improvment next week against the Pack or we are gonna get punished.

Portis up the middle would have gotten it for sure.
    I'm not sure I can agree, since the gap he was looking for in the middle was filled with Ram defenders. That play went outside because the Rams MADE it go outside.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

I'm not sure I can agree, since the gap he was looking for in the middle was filled with Ram defenders. That play went outside because the Rams MADE it go outside.
    I can see where you are coming from HUbison, but i think that the Skins expected us to go up the middle which is why the bounced to the outside. Fortunately our defense made a great play and got him for a couple yard loss. It sucks though because we started off with horrible field position and our offense is not exactly the best in the world. I think that deep play between Horton and Avery at the end had some potential, but the defender made a great play.

To sum it up, I think although we stopped Portis on fourth down, it was kind of insignificant because we let them get WAY too far down the field in the first place.

I think although we stopped Portis on fourth down, it was kind of insignificant
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see where a 4th-and-1 stop on our own 2 yard line can ever be insignificant. Especially when dealing with a Defense that needs something to build upon.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see where a 4th-and-1 stop on our own 2 yard line can ever be insignificant. Especially when dealing with a Defense that needs something to build upon.
    I think you kind of misunderstood the point. We let them drive way too far down field, almost to the point where they had nothing to lose going for it on fourth. If they would have got that play they would have been able to end the game with the ball in their hands. It's almost a win-win situation for them because even if they don't get it, judging by our offense throughout the game, they know we won't be able to march down field for FG range. They know outside of Jaxx, our offense didn't really step up to the plate. Running the ball on that last drive was out of the question.

As for your second point about the gain for our defense, yes I agree. Mentally it was a huge stop for us, I just don't think it was significant in helping us win the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    I think you kind of misunderstood the point. We let them drive way too far down field, almost to the point where they had nothing to lose going for it on fourth.
    No, I got your point. In fact, I started this thread with the disclaimer that
    Quote Originally Posted by me
    No, they shouldn't have let the Skins drive the length in the first place
    . I simply disagree that those circumstances of previous failure (allowing a field long drive) negate the positive of a 4th-and-1 stop on our own 2-yard line. The Skins thought they were going to score. If they didn't, they would have kicked the FG so that only a TD would beat them. Had they scored, as they thought they would, nothing short of a miracle would have erased a 9 point deficit. The Skins had a lot to lose, and the Rams D did their part to make sure the Skins lost exactly that.

The O on the other hand.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ahmedrams81 View Post
    As for your second point about the gain for our defense, yes I agree. Mentally it was a huge stop for us, I just don't think it was significant in helping us win the game.
    That stop wasn't significant? Without it, it's a 2 possession game. With it, a FG wins. It's the offense, not the defense, that didn't get the job done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast