Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

#5 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 5, 157th overall): Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon State

OVERVIEW

A model of consistency for the Beavers, Roy Schuening started 50 consecutive games at Oregon State, breaking the school record of 48 straight starts by linebacker Richard Seigler (2000-03).

While Schuening manned the right guard position most often, he showed his versatility and team-first attitude by shifting over to right tackle for the final four contests when injuries depleted the offensive line's depth.

Schuening also excelled in the classroom, as he was one of 20 players on the team that earned Academic All-Pac-10 Conference honors over the last two years. His drive-blocking skills made the national media take notice, as he was awarded with first-team All-American honors as a senior.

At Pendleton High School, Schuening was a three-year starter on both the offensive and defensive line. He earned All-Intermountain League honors as a junior and senior and was the league Lineman of the Year in 2002. He was also the most valuable lineman at the Oregon State and Oregon summer camps in 2002.

Schuening added second-team All-State recognition on defense and honorable mention on offense as a senior. He received two votes on the Long Beach Press Telegram Best in the West list and played in the Les Schwab Oregon Bowl in 2003. He was a member of the Super Prep Western All-Region team and ranked third on its list of top athletes for the state of Oregon and Washington.

For his defensive career, Schuening recorded 114 tackles and 17 sacks. He also lettered two years in wrestling and three in track. He broke the school record in the shot put with a toss of 56-6 as a senior.

Schuening enrolled at Oregon State in 2003, spending the season performing on the scout team. In 2004, he was named to The Sporting News Freshman All-American and All-Pac-10 Conference squads. He started all twelve games at right offensive guard, collecting 47 knockdowns and five touchdown-resulting blocks as the team averaged 379.5 yards per game in total offense.

The right guard was one of three OSU offensive linemen to receive postseason honors, as he was awarded All-Pac-10 Conference honorable mention. He again manned the right guard spot, helping the Beavers improve their running game from 70.7 yards per game in 2004 to 122.5 yards in 2005. He totaled 69 knockdowns and was credited with seven touchdown-resulting blocks.

Schuening was again chosen All-Pac-10 Conference honorable mention in 2006. He started all 14 games, leading a front wall that paved the way for the Beavers to average 242.4 yards per game passing. He would go on to register 75 knockdowns and also made eight touchdown-resulting blocks.

In 2007, Schuening started the first nine games at right guard and the final four games at right tackle. Despite playing with a bout of walking pneumonia earlier in the year, he dominated in the trenches. The offense generated a bulk of its 4,831 yards (371.6 yards per game) over the right side of the line. Schuening would proceed to lead Pac-10 blockers with 17 touchdown-resulting blocks, adding 114 knockdowns to pick up All-American and All-Pac-10 Conference first-team accolades.

Career Notes

Schuening holds the school record with 50 consecutive starts, topping the old mark of 48 by Richard Seigler (2000-03)...In his last two seasons, he registered 185 knockdowns and 18 touchdown-resulting blocks.

High School

Attended Pendleton (Ore.) High School, playing football for head coach Bo Yates...Three-year starter on both the offensive and defensive lines...Earned All-Intermountain League honors as a junior and senior and was the league's Lineman of the Year in 2002... Most Valuable Lineman at the Oregon State and Oregon summer camps in 2002...Added second-team All-State recognition on defense and honorable mention on offense as a senior...Received two votes on the Long Beach Press Telegram Best in the West list and played in the Les Schwab Oregon Bowl in 2003...Member of the Super Prep Western All-Region team and ranked third on its list of top athletes for the state of Oregon and Washington...For his defensive career, Schuening recorded 114 tackles and 17 sacks...Also lettered two years in wrestling and three in track...Broke the school record in the shot put with a toss of 56-6 as a senior.

ANALYSIS

Positives: Has a thick, well-proportioned frame with solid upper-body mass, well-defined arms and legs, wide waist and hips and a frame that can carry at least another 15 pounds of bulk...Plays with true aggression, giving total effort until the whistle...Has good field vision, showing alertness picking up the blitz and twists...Hard worker in the training room and has taken to his role of mentoring the younger players...Shows very good balance and body control when he maintains proper pad level working in-line...Has good communication skills working on double teams with his center and tackle...Has good quickness off the snap to seal the shaded defender (better when he sinks his pads)...Can gain advantage with his first step and aggressively hits on initial contact, driving hard with his legs to get movement (needs to shoot his hands better)...Can jolt the defender with his hand punch, but lacks consistency (uses his body and leg drive more often to get movement than to flash consistent hand power)...Good position blocker who keeps his feet working in-line, but is a little stiff in his hips when changing direction...More of a wall-off type of drive blocker, but showed better ability to follow through with his blocks as a senior, as he learned to use his reach to keep defenders away from his body...Has good balance and keeps his base when working at the line of scrimmage (can be pushed back by a quick bull rush)...When he avoids piles, it is due to his ability to stay on his feet...Lands on second-level defenders with good force and gets out in front on short pulls (not as effective folding linebackers when having to run long distances)...Has the knee bend and lower-body strength to anchor in pass protection...Did a better job of keeping his feet active to slide and mirror at guard than he did at tackle...Quick to place and recoil his hands when protecting the pocket (needs to generate a stronger punch)...Has just adequate blocking ability in space, but is an aggressive in-line blocker...Extends his hands well to separate and has made slight improvement with his punch, but must work on improving his pop and shiver...Has good recovery agility vs. stunts, doing a nice job when playing flat-footed, as he is efficient making adjustments in his short-area slide.

Negatives: Has a good grasp of the playbook, but does go through mental lapses on the field...Does not always react quickly to the bull rush and is slow to get good hand placement vs. double moves...Will short arm at times and must learn to use his hand punch better to shock and jolt...Needs to open his hips better in attempts to generate movement and when he gets too high in his stance, he gets too narrow with his base to drive defenders off the line...Must do a better job of shifting his weight and lowering his pads, as he showed late in his senior year when playing tackle that he lacks the foot movement and kick-slide to mirror vs. edge rushers in pass protection...Better blocking at the line of scrimmage, as he does not always take good angles and struggles when he takes on speed moves in space...Lacks the change-of-direction agility you look for from a lineman working into the second level...When he gets too tall in pass protection, he could be walked back into the pocket.

Compares To: JAHRI EVANS-New Orleans...Schuening has enough foot speed off the snap to reach and seal vs. shaded defenders. He is aggressive on initial contact and drives hard with his legs to gain movement, but needs to improve his hand punch, as it is rare to see him shock and jolt. He has the strength to rock the defender back, but must keep his hands inside his framework better and use them with better consistency. He has a good base and knee-bend in pass protection, but is better served working in-line, as his lack of lateral agility was exposed late in his senior year when taking on the speedy edge rushers at offensive tackle. He has not been used much on pulls, but has the quickness to be efficient there in the short area. He does struggle some working in space and must do a better job taking angles when trying to locate second level defenders.

Injury Report

2006: Suffered a mild concussion in a mid-August scrimmage.

2007: Played in the Stanford game (10/27) with walking pneumonia.
    Last edited by Nick; -04-27-2008 at 03:50 PM.

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 5, 157th overall): Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon Stat

Q&A with Oregon State OG Roy Schuening

Blue-collar offensive guard has farming, football in his blood

By Eric Edholm
    April 22, 2008

Roy Schuening

Oregon State OG Roy Schuening is everything you want in an offensive guard: tough, hardworking, dependable and consistent. He started every game in his career in Corvallis — 50 consecutive — and is rated as one of the best power players in this draft class. The son of a high school teacher and a farmer and Oregon State walk-on player, Schuening learned his work ethic from his parents living on a farm in Pendleton, Oregon — about 200 miles east of Portland.

The Beavers were 4-0 in bowl games the past four seasons, including a win in the Emerald Bowl this year against Maryland and a dramatic, comeback victory over Missouri in the Sun Bowl two seasons ago. Schuening, who lists hunting and fishing as his passions outside of football, took a few minutes to chat with PFW about farming, his athletic father, OSU alum Chad Johnson, rooting for the Seahawks and Tombstone — the movie, not the pizza.

PFW: What kind of farm did you grow up on?

Schuening: It was mostly wheat, but also alfalfa.

PFW: What were some of the chores you had to do on the farm? Any heavy machinery?

Schuening: Using tractors, plowing fields, picking up and stacking hay bales and lots of other stuff.

PFW: What was the town and your high school like?

Schuening: There are 17,000 people in Pendleton, Oregon. There were about 900 kids in my high school. For that area, it’s pretty big.

PFW: What do you hunt?

Schuening: Oh, usually pheasant, duck, deer and elk.

PFW: And what about fishing?

Schuening: I really like trout fishing, but I am starting to get into fly fishing.

PFW: How good a player was your dad?

Schuening: He was a great athlete. He didn’t have the same opportunities that I have had. Sports weren’t as big back then, at least not in his family, and he started playing football in high school, I think as a junior. He wrestled for three years and went to nationals his senior years and got sixth (place). In football he was an offensive and defensive lineman.

PFW: Your mom was a teacher. How tough was she in the classroom?

Schuening: I never had her. She always taught in a different town. It was about half an hour from Pendleton. But I was in her classroom a few times. She’s pretty strict. She never was with us kids (he has two sisters). When she gets around her students, she keeps them in line. It’s totally flipping a switch with her. She was never like that at home.

PFW: What schools showed the most interest in you in high school? And what did you like best about Oregon State?

Schuening: Oregon, Washington State, Oregon State and Portland State all offered me (scholarships). My dad went to Oregon State and I grew up listening to them and watching them, so that was a big factor. And Coach (Dennis) Erickson was there at the time, and he had such a good résumé. I really liked his staff, and I knew going in I was going to have the opportunity to start early, or at least play a lot early. So it just worked out perfectly; it was a perfect fit.

PFW: Have you ever met Chad Johnson?

Schuening: No, I haven’t. I don’t think …

PFW: I think you’d know if you did. He’s hard to forget.

Schuening: (laughs). He came to our Cincinnati game last year, but I haven’t seen him around Oregon State.

PFW: Do you think you could be a teammate with a guy like Chad?

Schuening: Yeah, you know, everybody’s got a different personality, and obviously I don’t really know him. So he’s got his way of going about things, and the majority of people are a little different. That’s what he chooses to do, so …

PFW: The Sun Bowl play — down one with almost no time left, you just scored a touchdown, and instead of tying it up and sending it to overtime, you go for two and win it. I have to tell you, as a Mizzou grad, that hurt me pretty badly.

Schuening: (laughs) I bet!

PFW: Talk me through the play. Did you think the coaches were going to go for two?

Schuening: I was asking for it. We had a game in the past against LSU where we should have gone for two but didn’t and ended up losing. We could have won it at the end of the game. And we weren’t exactly stopping Missouri’s offense, so it might have gotten into a shootout in overtime. All of us, Coach (Mike) Riley, Yvenson Bernard, everyone was saying, “Ok, let’s win it right here.” The play that we ran, we had some good success with earlier in the game, and so we called it. It was a play where I pulled around and lead-blocked in the hole.

PFW: Well you had to be excited when they called for a run right behind you.

Schuening: Yeah, I was just sitting there going, “OK, don’t fall down.”

PFW: I was hoping you were going to fall down! The Corvallis Gazette Times named you the team’s offensive MVP this season. Does that mean that the lunchpail guys are finally getting their due?

Schuening: I got named MVP?

PFW: Yeah!

Schuening: Damn!

PFW: You had no idea, huh?

Schuening: I had no idea. (laughs) Wow. I am going to have to call those guys and tell them, "thank you." Well, there was a lot of hard work that went into it. That’s quite the honor to get because we’ve got some great players. But I was fortunate enough never to get hurt.

PFW: Of those 50 consecutive starts, was there one you almost didn’t make because of injury?

Schuening: Not necessarily due to injury, but it was more because I got pneumonia halfway through this season. And luckily enough, it happened on my bye week. The doctors said I wouldn’t play (the next week). So naturally, I had to prove them wrong. Prove to them that they are idiots. (laughs) I had to keep the streak going. Yeah, I went and played (against Stanford), and it wasn’t as bad as they thought.

PFW: Do you have a preference for the left or right side? Is footwork the biggest difference?

Schuening: You know, I switched around at the Senior Bowl, and that was fine. But I have played the right (side) the majority of my college career, so obviously I am going to be a little bit more comfortable there, but I could play either side and not have a problem with it.

PFW: What was the most interesting interview you had with a team, either at the Combine, at the Senior Bowl or at another visit?

Schuening: Not necessarily. My agent (Derrick Fox) did a great job of preparing me for it, but it was really cool that I got to sit down at the Combine with the Seahawks, the team I grew up watching, and to meet Coach (Mike) Holmgren. That was cool, especially coming from the Northwest.

PFW: Did you think there was some questionable refereeing in the Super Bowl a few years ago?

Schuening: Uh, yeah. Don’t even get me started on that.

PFW: If you weren’t a football player, what do you think you would want to do for a living?

Schuening: Farm.

PFW: What’s your best sport other than football? And let’s assume for argument's sake that hunting and fishing are not sports …

Schuening: OK. (laughs) I guess just because I did it in high school, I would say track. But baseball is my favorite sport outside of football.

PFW: Team you grew up following?

Schuening: I grew up watching the Atlanta Braves.

PFW: On TBS?

Schuening: Yeah. We only had a couple of channels, and they were on one of the channels, and I loved baseball when I was young.

PFW: Have you traveled much?

Schuening: I have been to Hawaii once, and I thought it was beautiful. But I don’t travel a whole lot.

PFW: Country music performer you most want to see in concert? I know you like country because of your cell phone music (it plays "International Harvester" by Craig Morgan while you wait for him to pick up).

Schuening: (laughs) Yeah! I’d say Garth Brooks.

PFW: Name one Beavers player you are absolutely certain you can beat in a 40-yard dash.

Schuening: Kyle DeVan.

PFW: Wow, you said that without even hesitating. What has he run?

Schuening: Well, actually (laughs) … I shouldn’t say that for certain. He actually ran faster than I did, but I didn’t run at the Pro Day. But if he and I were lined up to race each other, I would beat him.

PFW: Pride would take over.

Schuening: Exactly!

PFW: What movie you have seen the most times?

Schuening: Tombstone.

PFW: Great flick. What do you like best about it?

Schuening: Just all the characters, the storyline. I am a big Western fan. And a Wyatt Earp fan.

PFW: Where will you be on Draft Day?

Schuening: We are having a little get-together in Pendelton. I am just going to be hanging out there, waiting.

PFW: Any gut feeling on what might happen?

Schuening: You know, I have no idea. I could go anywhere from the second to the fifth round. But all I care about it is falling into the right situation, the right team and that would make me happy. I hope to make a long career of it.

PFW: And then you have farming to go back to when it’s over.

Schuening: Sounds good to me.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: 2008 NFL DRAFT RAMS PICK (Round 5, 157th overall): Roy Schuening, OG, Oregon Stat

FYI, NFL Draft Countdown has him rated as the 3rd best guard. Greco was rated the 5th best guard (even though the Rams apparently see him at tackle). Both were rated as 2nd/3rd round prospects. Good quality picks!

-jake-

majorram is offline Registered User

This is a solid pick, wow are we loading up on the the O Line and I'm loving it!!!

steve
    "The breakfast Club"

The Special One is offline Registered User

Anyone know the terms of the trade?

39thebeast is offline Registered User

love the pick were building a nice little future right side. I believe cogs is a FA next year

"So I don’t shy away from hard work," he said. "We had rock-picking crews where we had big old boulders in our fields, and we had to go pick those up and dump them in the back of the truck. I was doing that before I was in kindergarten."
    This is a tuff kid....

Quote Originally Posted by LeBulger View Post
    Anyone know the terms of the trade?
    Looks like we traded both our sixth rounders for Washington's fifth and seventh.

The Special One is offline Registered User

OK, thanks Nick. I would've liked us to hold on to at least one of our 6th rounders, but I'm fine with that.

I think we have three 7 rounders left?

We have two - we traded pick 217 when we moved up for Burton. So we have the one we got from Washington in the Schuening trade, and Mr. Irrelevant.

Thanks Nick.

Gordon's blog on Schuening...

The Rams really liked Oregon State Roy Schuening, so they made another trade-up to get him.

Finally the Rams took a player that was rated higher than he actually went. Schuening looks like a great pick, a collegiate power blocker who could step in as a rookie if injuries struck.

“I know Mike Riley at Oregon State,” Rams personnel czar Billy Devaney said. “I know the offensive line coach there. That factored into the evaluation.

“They ran the ball, they threw the ball — he was exposed to a lot at Oregon State.”

After this deal, the Rams won’t pick again until the seventh round. Fans should feel free to go mow their lawns and check the draft tracker later this afternoon.
    ...so Schuening = FOBD (Friend of Billy Devaney)?
    Last edited by Nick; -04-27-2008 at 04:42 PM.

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    We have two - we traded pick 217 when we moved up for Burton. So we have the one we got from Washington in the Schuening trade, and Mr. Irrelevant.
    According to NFL.com, we have three. The #10 from the Bengals, the #21 from the Redskins, and Mr. Irrelevant.

-jake-

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by evil disco man View Post
    FYI, NFL Draft Countdown has him rated as the 3rd best guard. Greco was rated the 5th best guard (even though the Rams apparently see him at tackle). Both were rated as 2nd/3rd round prospects. Good quality picks!

-jake-
    The logic seems a bit goofy to me.

The Rams can get the 3rd ranked G in the 5th round but need to spend a 3rd round to get the 5th ranked G because they think the 5th ranked G can play T some day.

ok

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast