evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

5 Questions: Rams S Corey Chavous

By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/10/2006

After stints with Arizona and Minnesota, strong safety Corey Chavous signed a free-agent contract with the Rams in March. The Rams are counting on him to solidify the secondary and provide much-needed leadership on defense. On Friday, he answered five questions.

This is your third NFL club. What's the transition like for a player when he comes to a new team?

"The first thing you try to do is basically learn and find your role within the team. And once you're able to do that, try to improve as an individual. If you try to improve, I think you will fit in. Certainly, every team I've been to, there are the same goals. Every team's goal is to win the Super Bowl. If you come in with that focus, I think you can have a good career wherever you're at."

What does it mean to be named a team captain, particularly since it's your first year with the Rams?

"It means a tremendous amount. It's the biggest honor you can pretty much get as an athlete when your teammates respect you. Hopefully, you've earned that respect. You just try to continue to earn it. I don't think there's anything you do different.

"When I look at the team, I don't look at it as just because you're named a captain, that you're a singular leader. There are other leaders, particularly on my side of the ball. Guys who have been captains here before like Dexter (Coakley) and Pisa (Tinoisamoa). ... There are a lot of leaders on the defensive side of the ball who are established veterans. Really, what you're doing is just contributing to that."

Many of the preseason prognosticators have the Rams finishing with a losing record in 2006. As a player, how do you view that?

"I've been on the bottom of the barrel with some teams. I've been in the middle of the pack with some teams. It doesn't matter what the preseason prognosticators think. I've been on teams where we were expected to win the division and we ended up 5-11. Every year has a different tone. I think the tone is set early, and I think the biggest thing is that we have to forget about what has happened in the past. Just concentrate on this (Denver) game."

There are a lot of new faces on the Rams' defense. What are you expecting from this unit in 2006?

"I'm expecting a lot of energy. I'm expecting a lot of aggressiveness. And I'm expecting a defense that is able to handle and execute a lot of different things."

What is it like working for defensive coordinator Jim Haslett?

"He's one of those types of people that you know what you're getting. There's not any B.S. involved. I think he's straightforward. I think he's fun. I think he's fun to be around. He challenges us, and that's good. I've seen his fiery side a couple times when I (messed) up, so I try to keep those to a minimum."

jthomas@post-dispatch.com | 314-340-8197

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 5 Questions: Rams S Corey Chavous

IMO Chavous has to show his leadership skills by hitting like Rodney Harrison. Keep the Broncos WRs looking over there shoulders.

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-20-2008, 05:44 PM