r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

5 Things To Watch In Rams' Preseason Game

5 things to watch in Rams' preseason game
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    08/14/2009

Taking stock of Bulger

It’s unavoidable. In what is a make-or-break year for Marc Bulger, all eyes will be upon the veteran QB. He threw one interception and nearly threw another in last week’s Lindenwood scrimmage. He must avoid mistakes, keep the chains moving, and get comfortable with the West Coast scheme against the Jets.

Minus the injured Donnie Avery, the Rams will trot out what amounts to a bunch of no-names at wide receiver. Is Laurent Robinson up to the task as the de facto No. 1? Can Keenan Burton, Tim Carter and the rest of the group get open on a consistent basis? And if they can't, is it already time to panic?

The rookies, first look

Second-round draft pick James Laurinaitis is expected to open exhibition play as the starting middle linebacker. He lined up with the first unit all week, and looks comfortable. First-rounder Jason Smith isn't that far along. He remains with the second unit at right tackle, and needs to polish up his pass-blocking.

Live tackle football

Preseason openers are notorious for missed tackles, particularly for teams that do little hitting in camp like the Rams of recent years. That should change tonight. The Rams have had at least one live tackling period during 10 of the 12 full-squad practice days since the start of camp. They're used to hitting.

Gauging return game

The Rams haven't gone live on special teams in camp, so the preseason marks the only opportunity to truly audition return men on punts and kickoffs. At the moment, Kenneth Darby is the favorite on kickoffs and Derek Stanley is the No. 1 punt return man. But there are many candidates to sort through.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

Re: 5 Things To Watch In Rams' Preseason Game

All of these will be interesting to watch, but my main ones will be on the wide receivers on offense(with Jason Smith being a point of focus as well), and then the secondary, namely the 2nd CB position.

Hollis Thomas should be a sight to behold as well.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

It will be interesting to see how Bulger looks, especially with no Avery. I don't think he needs to throw multiple TD passes, but it would reassuring if he at least looks comfortable and makes accurate throws.

How the OL performs will be another area I'm looking forward to watching.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    It will be interesting to see how Bulger looks, especially with no Avery. I don't think he needs to throw multiple TD passes, but it would reassuring if he at least looks comfortable and makes accurate throws.

How the OL performs will be another area I'm looking forward to watching.
    I wanna see Laurinitis.. sp?