Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

6' 0" and 335 lbs .. He plans to pick a team next week .. Possibly the Rams ??

Posted by Mike Florio on July 26, 2009 2:17 PM ET
    Recently, veteran defensive tackle Hollis Thomas visited the Eagles.

Soon, Thomas might be doing more than visiting an NFL city.

Per a league source, Thomas is expected to sign a contract this week. He is considering four different franchises.

Though it's unclear whether the Eagles remain in the mix, we're told that the Rams are one of the candidates for his services.
    Thomas, a 13-year veteran, spent a decade in Philly before playing three seasons for New Orleans.

The guy doesn't fit the up and coming player mold, (I think he's 35 yrs old), but if he's willing to sign for a reasonable amount, we're not exactly deep at DT .. Thoughts

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: 6' 0" and 335 lbs .. He plans to pick a team next week .. Possibly the Rams ??

If I were working this signing from a Rams front office perspective, it would be tough to make this deal for much more than the veteran's minimum.

Thomas probably doesn't have much left in the tank at this point, but he wouldn't be counted on here as much more than a situational run defender as part of a rotation on the D-line. In that role, I think he could find ways to contribute and perhaps offer some veteran leadership to a relatively young interior line.

The fact that he and Spagnuolo were both in Philly for a number of years might give the Rams an advantage, especially if contract offers from other teams are all relatively close.

Re: 6' 0" and 335 lbs .. He plans to pick a team next week .. Possibly the Rams ??

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Thomas probably doesn't have much left in the tank at this point, but he wouldn't be counted on here as much more than a situational run defender as part of a rotation on the D-line. In that role, I think he could find ways to contribute and perhaps offer some veteran leadership to a relatively young interior line.
    As long as he's a "tank" when called upon, he should be able to help shore up the middle. If injuries were to hit the DT rotation, and he had to play for extended periods of time, he'd likely wear down quickly and become a liability. If Spags wants him - he'll likely end up here. Who knows at this point? I guess we'll find out next week ..

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

I can believe that Hollis' agent may have got a courtesy return call or even a visit with Philly and/or The Rams because of the history but that's it. Why give a much-needed rotational spot to a 35 year old poor man's Glover? I understand that he's more the widebody runstopper but still think we can get better bang for the buck.

The experience/bulk side of the equation doesn't balance out the age,health, and lack of explosive playmaking ability for me.Even Glover had more sacks over the last 3 seasons than Hollis.

And he tore his triceps last year- same injury that flagged the decline of Pace in '06 & I read at least one report that said he was well over his playing weight when the Eagles worked him out.

I'm all for getting bigger but there's more to value than price per pound.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-27-2009 at 03:47 AM.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I can believe that Hollis' agent may have got a courtesy return call or even a visit with Philly and/or The Rams because of the history but that's it. Why give a much-needed rotational spot to a 35 year old poor man's Glover? I understand that he's more the widebody runstopper but still think we can get better bang for the buck.

The experience/bulk side of the equation doesn't balance out the age,health, and lack of explosive playmaking ability for me.Even Glover had more sacks over the last 3 seasons than Hollis.

And he tore his triceps last year- same injury that flagged the decline of Pace in '06 & I read at least one report that said he was well over his playing weight when the Eagles worked him out.

Glover and Thomas are completely different defensive tackles. Thomas is primarily a run stopper and Glover was more of a pass rusher. And i dont know why you think its surprising that Glover, a six time pro bowler and the guy who led the NFL in sacks in 2000, had more sacks over the pass three years than Thomas, a guy who isnt on the field most of the time the QB drops back to pass.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

In a word: No!
    Next question please. Now if we are hit with several injuries to the DL later in the season then maybe.

TekeRam is online now Registered User

With the complaints about or DT rotational depth I'm amazed that there's such an uproar against Hollis Thomas. Personally, I think because of the history between him and Spags, if Spags wants to pick him up, we should listen.

He'll never be in there as a pass rusher, because we expect that Victor or Hall would be lining up inside in passing situations. Truthfully, he'd probably only be in there on major run downs and goalline situations. If he signs for the vet minimum I'm all for the signing because I think Spags and Devaney know what they're doing and at worst he's a good role model for the young DT's.

Why give a much-needed rotational spot to a 35 year old poor man's Glover?
    Even Glover had more sacks over the last 3 seasons than Hollis.
    Thomas and Glover are two different types of tackles. Thomas would add veteran depth at a nose tackle, where his responsibilities would be to come in situationally as a run-stuffer. Glover's responsibilities as an under tackle were different.

Besides Clifton Ryan, the Rams really have nothing in terms of experience at the nose: Darell Scott (rookie), Ian Campbell (rookie), Antwon Burton (8 career games), and Gary Gibson (twelve career games). If Thomas is willing to sign for the minimum and play a situational role, I have a hard time seeing a downside to that.

If he can't cut it in training camp, he can be shown the door and the Rams can look elsewhere as other cuts hit the wire.

Of course, after reading this article where Devaney talks about needing players who are trending upwards and can contribute beyond this season, I doubt the Rams are all that interested. But for the vet minimum on a one-year deal, I'd be fine with that.

I read at least one report that said he was well over his playing weight when the Eagles worked him out.

Remember Billy Devaney saying we needed to get a "big ole fat sloppy guy" to clog up the middle for us? .. Well ... Surely you're not questioning Billy D's wisdom are you?

TekeRam is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    Remember Billy Devaney saying we needed to get a "big ole fat sloppy guy" to clog up the middle for us? .. Well ... Surely you're not questioning Billy D's wisdom are you?
    But just how sloppy is he? Does anyone have a video of him eating chicken wings for analysis?

As I said, I understand that Hollis is a different kind of tackle than Glover.My point was less a direct comparison than saying an older one dimensional D-lineman at either NT or UT is of limited value.

In any case, I think Glover in his prime was anything but one dimensional. Even in his first two seasons with the Rams, he kept the Rams run D from looking even worse than it was,imo.

There also doesn't seem to be much precedent for a player of this age and size in either Spags' or Flajole's prior teams. Both Giants NTs, Alford and Cofield, are quite a bit smaller; I think the value per pound that Billy D was looking for lies in the jump from the 280-300lb size to 310-320 , rather than up to 335 which is Hollis' listed playing weight. And both are much younger.

Carolina's Kemoeatu and a couple of big rookies who , I suspect, are there to replace his fat 32 year old butt, are the only behemoths on Carolina's squad.I don't see anyone of that size or vintage on Philly's roster.

Why pay vet money or more just for Hollis' bulk that is almost certainly compromised by age and grave injury/durability concerns?

I think Florio is grasping at vague coach/player historical connections rather than making football sense that aligns with the DeSpags approach to The Rams as I understand it from both their statements and prior personnel decisions.

A fading one trick rhino like Hollis would hamper the implementation of the unpredictable,versatile, and aggressive DL I hope to see from the Rams.Especially in the latter half of games and the season where we need it most.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-27-2009 at 03:16 PM.

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

I think we should all be trusting what the coach thinks, and supporting it atleast until we have a reason not too..

As I said, I understand that Hollis is a different kind of tackle than Glover.My point was less a direct comparison than saying an older one dimensional D-lineman at either NT or UT is of limited value.
    My apologies then. It looked to me that, since you were comparing their sack numbers and calling Thomas a "poor man's Glover," you viewed them in a similar mold.

There also doesn't seem to be much precedent for a player of this age and size in either Spags' or Flajole's prior teams.
    Spags featured the 30+ year old Fred Robbins on his DL in New York, and Robbins is listed at 6'4" 317 pounds. Granted he doesn't play the nose, but I'd say that's a decent example of an older, larger guy on Spags' last team.

Why pay vet money or more just for Hollis' bulk that is almost certainly compromised by age and grave injury/durability concerns?
    If he's compromised by age and injury/durability concerns, then it'll show and camp and the Rams can cut him. Experiment over.

But I think adding an experienced big wide run stuffer to a team that presently lacks them would improve the line's versatility. For instance, you could line him up next to Ryan in goalline situations to try and strengthen your front. Or maybe you have Leonard Little drop back to a two point stance in one alignment, and suddenly Thomas is a nose guard in a pre-snap 3-4.

It's just another component Spags could insert or remove given the situation.

rNemesis is offline Registered User

Hes too old

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    My apologies then. It looked to me that, since you were comparing their sack numbers and calling Thomas a "poor man's Glover," you viewed them in a similar mold.

Spags featured the 30+ year old Fred Robbins on his DL in New York, and Robbins is listed at 6'4" 317 pounds. Granted he doesn't play the nose, but I'd say that's a decent example of an older, larger guy on Spags' last team.

If he's compromised by age and injury/durability concerns, then it'll show and camp and the Rams can cut him. Experiment over.

But I think adding an experienced big wide run stuffer to a team that presently lacks them would improve the line's versatility. For instance, you could line him up next to Ryan in goalline situations to try and strengthen your front. Or maybe you have Leonard Little drop back to a two point stance in one alignment, and suddenly Thomas is a nose guard in a pre-snap 3-4.

It's just another component Spags could insert or remove given the situation.
    No need to apologize; my point was clumsily-made.

The older sloppy fat guy thing didn't work with Grady Jackson( and since player acquisition is supposed to be BD's bailiwick, surely he would have given his Falcons guy a look if experience & bulk were the leading criteria) or Gabe Watson. Both were either injury prone or just ineffective the last couple of seasons.

Fair enough if you want to isolate the age factor as critical but I see a big difference between a healthy Robbins at 30-32 a 34-35 yr old guy coming off major injury and ,I suspect, weight problems( he's been listed as 306-335).That 3 yrs of wear & tear and yo-yo-ing weight is almost an average NFL career.

I understand the theory but that component has to be really reliably dominant and produce almost every time to justify his spot,imo. I just don't want to bet on a 35 yr old with a torn triceps and weight issues for it. I want a Colin Cole or Alford, not a Hollis, Gabe, or Grady.

I'm sure savvy & experience help anywhere on the field but I would have thought it was less important for the position we are talking about. It's sumo wrestling with helmets.Someone of Hollis' experience may recognize an audible to a play action pass, audible to a sweep or pull/trap run play but it doesn't mean he can get his Jabba-butt upfield or down the line to do anything about it.

Can't argue with the specialized component except that I think "luxuries' like a situational runstuffer with tons of experience and bellymeat will probably be available during the cuts. Give the meaty beaty, big & bouncy (name that band) kids a chance first during the gruelling two-a-days and pre-season. You know what you're going to get at its limited best with Hollis already.Like Orien Harris, he's just another waste of steak this early in the process to my mind.

And if it is indeed a run between the tackles,way down the list of qualities needed to stop it is experience,imo. Waaayyy below explosive lower strength and treetrunk strong arms to wrassle an offensive guard or center with one hand. If 35 yr old knees strained by extra blubber and a torn triceps can provide that; terrific. I just doubt it.

And none of our NFCW rivals really has the kind of smashmouth run game to which this kind of alignment is the best defense. Singletary can talk as tough as he likes but Gore is not SJ, never mind Brandon Jacobs. Both The Cards and Hags need to stretch teams wide and deep to run effectively between the tackles.

Yes, a bigger guy than Ryan is needed but but there has to be more upside for me.

What about someone like Kenderick Allen?
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -07-27-2009 at 05:49 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast