UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

60 seconds and no try

That is sad. Why is Linehan so conservative?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Re: 60 seconds and no try

Good thing I'm not the only one that thought that.
    RamsFan16

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

I like being semi conservative, but at least run a pass play and see what happens...if the recievers are covered, throw the ball away. If they are open, who knows what can happen...

BigGameHolt is offline Registered User

Yeah, i have mixed feelings: Linehan needs to be more aggressive when playing a team like the Chargers, but also his conservative side has paid off in many times this year, such as the broncos game
    :clanram: BIG GAME Holt

jkramsfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BigGameHolt View Post
    Yeah, i have mixed feelings: Linehan needs to be more aggressive when playing a team like the Chargers, but also his conservative side has paid off in many times this year, such as the broncos game
    i agree, he's not the head coach because he's stupid,he knows alot more about whats going on out there than we do just watching on tv, i would have liked for him to take a shot,but we certainly didnt lose because of that.

tanus is offline Registered User

My initial reaction was to be pissed at Linehan for not trying for something. However, I think he factored in a couple of things to his decision. First, was that we were getting the ball to start the 2nd half and second, we had taken back control of the game in a way. A costly turnover would have ruined that.

I am perfectly fine with this decision and I agree that it wasn't one that cost us the game but potentially kept us in it.

rampete is offline Registered User

i'm okay with linehan's decision to go into the half 14-7...conservative approach is rather refreshing compared to martzs' full throttle play-to-win-at-all-cost approach...and like tanus mentioned, the rams were set to get the ball first in the 3rd, so that may've been the deciding factor for linehan...

Rambos is offline Registered User

I liked what he did, a turn over would have killed us. I would like to see more 20 yard pass play vs the deep balls. 20 yard dig route is money for us. I think he is starting to see how good Marc and Holt, Bruce and Curtis are. We need to start faster.

thoey is offline Registered User

I say pound the ball and try for a FG. Then come back out and get the ball again with a chance to take the lead (I think, if not catch up a bunch). That was too much time for us just to throw away...
    This space for rent...

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Can't say I was fuming over the decision. After all, we got the ball on the 12-yard line to start that drive. That's not a part of the field you really want to take a lot of risks in.

EDIT: Here's an answer straight from the man himself...

On his decision not to take some downfield shots with the ball during the last minute of the first half: “If you’re getting the right type of coverage, you might take a shot, like we did against Seattle. They were playing pretty far off. We knew we were getting the first possession of the second half. We had the extra possession going. The game wasn’t going to change at that point. So my decision was. ‘If you pop the draw, you get lucky, hit a long run.’ Possibly throw something, a catch-and-run of whatever.

“Being that we started so far down in there, one-score game at the time, we were going to challenge our guys to come out and answer the bell and play a much better second half – and not do anything at that point. Their defensive strength is that they can create some big plays with pass rushing, four-man rush. We didn’t want to put our guys in that position with that field position.”
    Last edited by Nick; -10-31-2006 at 01:11 AM.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Can't say I was fuming over the decision. After all, we got the ball on the 12-yard line to start that drive. That's not a part of the field you really want to take a lot of risks in.

EDIT: Here's an answer straight from the man himself...

On his decision not to take some downfield shots with the ball during the last minute of the first half: “If you’re getting the right type of coverage, you might take a shot, like we did against Seattle. They were playing pretty far off. We knew we were getting the first possession of the second half. We had the extra possession going. The game wasn’t going to change at that point. So my decision was. ‘If you pop the draw, you get lucky, hit a long run.’ Possibly throw something, a catch-and-run of whatever.

“Being that we started so far down in there, one-score game at the time, we were going to challenge our guys to come out and answer the bell and play a much better second half – and not do anything at that point. Their defensive strength is that they can create some big plays with pass rushing, four-man rush. We didn’t want to put our guys in that position with that field position.”
    As Herm Edwards said over and over again as the past head coach of the Jets at a press conference. You Try To Win The Game! You Try To Win The Game! Meaning I don't agree with Linehan on this one. Should have tried to make something happen before the end of the first half.

Phobia is offline Registered User

The Chiefs did the very same thing going into the half last week vs. the Chargers. We had 1:03 and 62 yards to six with all timeouts. They burned up the clock. Chiefs fans were livid, but to be fair we had a 2 TD lead at the time. A lot can go bad during the 2 minute drill.

live4ramin is offline Registered User

Good teams don't ignore the chance to put up points. Besides, it makes the football gods furious. I and TMQ wrote game over in our notebooks.
    Kiss my ass, football gods