Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 66 Yard Field Goal???? Really???

1980RAMS is offline Registered User

66 Yard Field Goal???? Really???

Come on. 66 yards? Who thought he was going to make it?

GO RAMS!!

Yodude is offline Registered User

Re: 66 Yard Field Goal???? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post

GO RAMS!!

I thought he was going to make it.
    RockinRam and jsimcox like this.
    Clannie Nominee for ClanRam's Thickest Poster

Rambos is online now Registered User

I thought he was going to make it, he just missed if you look at it... it was on line for a long time. If you have the distance and he does then you have to kick that and he did.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

I thought he had a chance to make it, but had concerns about the wind that had blown his previous two attemps left. In reasonable conditions, HELL YES I think he could easily make a 66 yard FG! He had plenty of distance on the attempt in Miami, and then some. I have no doubt he'll break the all-time record sometime this year.
    RealRam, SWFCRAM and jsimcox like this.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

The kick had the distance with plenty to spare, therefore it had a good chance.

I think it speaks volumes of Fisher's confidence in his kicker in making a big play over this offense, even after his kicker just missed two prior FGs.

It would have been cool if it had went through
    ramsanddodgers likes this.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 1980RAMS View Post
    Greg Zuerlein
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    It would have been cool if it had went through
    You hate to do it to yourself but I have thought about what if is was good! He will get the record and when he does I hope its a walk off game winner!

citr92 is online now Registered User

the stadium would have exploded if he made it...

can't seem to find the clip though, i've only seen pictures as i couldn't watch the game on my laptop due to my cousin's internet being out...

so i had to "watch" the game on the bottom of the screen as scores and field positions were posted...had me on edge forever since it seemed to be the least updated game...\
    so anyway, yea, that clip...

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

I thought it was a questionable decision, myself. 4th & short, half a minute left, and a timeout. I don't think you pile the weight of the loss on that kid's shoulders, especially when he's already had a tough day. Let the whole offense give it one more shot to either score or get at least a little closer for him. I don't care how mentally strong Legatron is, I think it's a bad idea to put even the thought that this loss was his doing.It was a mistake on Fisher's part,imo, and one that kind of surprised me from the shrewd old vet coach. Let them share the loss & move on, don't eff up your kicker's head in hopes of a miracle.

I'd like to see a short field goal early in the next game to get him back on firm ground.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -10-15-2012 at 05:28 PM.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

Once the Rams didn't let Bradford take a shot on a passing down to make the first down or at least try to get better field position, I figured that the kid had a legitimate shot. I believe he said, in a radio interview, that he hit a 73 or 74 yarder in college (admittedly in the near 'gale force' winds that blow in St. Joe MO). He could hit one, but I was more perturbed that Fisher didn't seem to trust Bradford enough to let him move the ball.
    live4ramin likes this.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I thought it was a questionable decision, myself. 4th & short, half a minute left, and a timeout.
    To be fair, after the sack, it was 4th and 7.

citr92 is online now Registered User

also, nvm found a clip with all the misses

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    I thought it was a questionable decision, myself. 4th & short, half a minute left, and a timeout. I don't think you pile the weight of the loss on that kid's shoulders, especially when he's already had a tough day. Let the whole offense give it one more shot to either score or get at least a little closer for him. I don't care how mentally strong Legatron is, I think it's a bad idea to put even the thought that this loss was his doing.It was a mistake on Fisher's part,imo, and one that kind of surprised me from the shrewd old vet coach. Let them share the loss & move on, don't eff up your kicker's head in hopes of a miracle.

I'd like to see a short field goal early in the next game to get him back on firm ground.
    facing a 4th-and-7 is not short IMO... I don't know what the percentage is on converting that 4th down...35%? I think it shows trust in the kid, not messing up his head. He just missed it, it was not like it was short or duck hooked because GZ tried to kill it. It had the distance just off line due to the wind. It was inside the goal for awhile as it was on the way.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    facing a 4th-and-7 is not short IMO... I don't know what the percentage is on converting that 4th down...35%? I think it shows trust in the kid, not messing up his head. He just missed it, it was not like it was short or duck hooked because GZ tried to kill it. It had the distance just off line due to the wind. It was inside the goal for awhile as it was on the way.
    Oh, ok....lol...let's quibble about the definition of "short" ! What's the conversion rate for 60+ yd field goals....in a windy wet game....when your kicker has already missed twice going at the same end ?

Like I said, I thought it was questionable, not insanely awful. But I'd still rather have the game in Sam's hands at that point. Not just for the math but for the psyche of the team and a rookie kicker, moving forward.More of a "big picture thing than even the best single move in the situation. But even in this specific instance,imo, the "damage", if you will was already done & The Rams were rather lucky to be as close as they were. Either of those turnovers that were reversed could easily have gone against The Rams. If you're looking for a stroke of further luck-which I think you really are with either a kick or another offensive play, I think you have more ways for The Gods to favor you with the latter method; a completion out of bounds, a DPI or other penalty, among others. Basically 11 guys who could contribute, rather than the one.And didn't The Rams convert one or two 4th downs earlier ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast