Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: 66 Yard Field Goal???? Really???

Rambos is online now Registered User

Re: 66 Yard Field Goal???? Really???

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Oh, ok....lol...let's quibble about the definition of "short" ! What's the conversion rate for 60+ yd field goals....in a windy wet game....when your kicker has already missed twice going at the same end ?

Like I said, I thought it was questionable, not insanely awful. But I'd still rather have the game in Sam's hands at that point. Not just for the math but for the psyche of the team and a rookie kicker, moving forward.More of a "big picture thing than even the best single move in the situation. But even in this specific instance,imo, the "damage", if you will was already done & The Rams were rather lucky to be as close as they were. Either of those turnovers that were reversed could easily have gone against The Rams. If you're looking for a stroke of further luck-which I think you really are with either a kick or another offensive play, I think you have more ways for The Gods to favor you with the latter method; a completion out of bounds, a DPI or other penalty, among others. Basically 11 guys who could contribute, rather than the one.And didn't The Rams convert one or two 4th downs earlier ?
    LOL... it is a numbers or percentage driven decision through. Without the sack i bet Fisher does not kick it. Oh well, I'm trying not to think about that game too much, we had too many mistakes to win a lopsided game such as that.

I was at the Fins board a bit today and they had more confidence about their team before that game. What happened to our run defense and our stand out receiver who was shut out. Sure they will take the win but they have more questions then answers.

If we won that game we would have technically been in first place in the west as we are 2-0 in the west. The what if's...

Azul e Oro is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rambos View Post
    LOL... it is a numbers or percentage driven decision through. Without the sack i bet Fisher does not kick it. Oh well, I'm trying not to think about that game too much, we had too many mistakes to win a lopsided game such as that.

I was at the Fins board a bit today and they had more confidence about their team before that game. What happened to our run defense and our stand out receiver who was shut out. Sure they will take the win but they have more questions then answers.

If we won that game we would have technically been in first place in the west as we are 2-0 in the west. The what if's...
    Totally agree on the mistakes & the need not to dwell on the what ifs. But I still don't see how the kick is in any way less of a desperation play. I'd have even have been fine with a fake & a Hekker hail mary. There was no good option, probability-wise, but as I said, the more guys you give a chance, the better the odds. Worked for the freakin' Hags vs GB, didn't it?

thermobee is offline Registered User

I thought he was gonna make it!

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I liked the call, I did not like Bradford making it longer because he couldn't get rid of the damn ball on 3rd down.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

supachump is offline Registered User

I would of rather of taken the field goal shot. Bradford bumbled the last down and even with the distance, I think the possibility of making it was stronger with a kick.

J-RodRamFan is offline Registered User

I don't think we had a choice. It wasn't enough time on the clock for another play so its either try to tie the game or quit. Plus it seemed to have the distance, just not the accuracy.

macrammer is online now Registered User

I do not have any heartache over the FG choice....just hope three misses don't eeke into legatrons head......kickers are a different breed.......
    live4ramin likes this.

Tampa_Ram is offline Registered User

I think he will learn from his mistakes from Sunday and get even better when it comes to windy conditions. I have no problem with going for the FG in that situation, and next time a 66 yarder presents itself for him, i know he will make it.

fearsome foursome is online now Registered User

I may be over analyzing and the answer is much simpler but I think that coach Fisher was sending a message to his rookie kicker (and the rest of the team as well). " When the game is on the line we trust you to make the kick. A couple of misses has not changed that trust. Expect to be in this position again." I think that it was a smart move by Fisher.

gap
    gap is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by fearsome foursome View Post
    I may be over analyzing and the answer is much simpler but I think that coach Fisher was sending a message to his rookie kicker (and the rest of the team as well). " When the game is on the line we trust you to make the kick. A couple of misses has not changed that trust. Expect to be in this position again." I think that it was a smart move by Fisher.
    I too may be over analyzing this, but maybe he was saying to the offence, "I trust him to score more than I trust you to score."

gap
    r8rh8rmike likes this.

TorontoRam is offline Registered User

I believe that the Rams ran an empty back-field on third down. I was surprised at that, since a blocking back could have helped Bradford buy some time and/or went into the flat for a pass or even run the ball if the defense over-committed. It was pretty obvious they were bringing everyone including the water-boy.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamDez View Post
    It would have been cool if it had went through
    As Mike said, chances are he just might brake the record!

This kid GZ still amazes me in that he doesn't "look" like a BIG TIME place kicker, was a rather unknown, yet he's making huge strides as a rookie with terrific FGs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12