Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

this is going to be Spagnuolos project, like Corey Webster

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    i dont like this pick beacuse he is just another small, raw corner back. and it probly would have been better to go with a WR here, but spags and deavney must really see potential in this kid.
    So okay welcome to the rams!
    I wouldn't call 6'0", 196 lbs. a small corner. Looks like physicality is one of his positives.

A-Web is offline Registered User

If we think (and I do) that there will be a receiver around by the 4-5 round still, than why not just fill another need? We still have Bartell to match up against a team's #1, so another big and fast corner who can be groomed doesn't hurt, and we need another anyways. He is tall and quick, so he should be able to reasonably come in and handle a #2-3 receiver if he does enough in the offseason. In a few years, maybe he can be ready to hang with the big boys. I know for a fact in a few years I will probably be terrified of what the 4nineRZ have in a passing game. Crabtree will need some coverage on him, and will Bartell be around forever?

I think Ramses will be around in round 4, hopefully. And then we can just swing his way.

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Unfortunately, i don't think we were able to draft a DT because we have a lot of faith in Carriker, which I think is a bust. As for WR, I say we try to snatch one from free agency, maybe Harrison? He could mentor Avery for one more year or so. I still think we need to get an OLB becuase Pisa isn't really a "too" reliable guy.

Jackson39 is offline Registered User

Hopefully he can turn out to be a steal
    Any DT's or WR to consider now?

Rambos is offline Registered User

6-1 196lbs he is not another small DB, he is tall at 6'1. Think of who we play...

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

I don't know much about this kid, except from what I just looked up on him, and he does seem to be a late 3rd/early 4th in my book.

Then again, I am not the professional football guy here, just a fan. He may just be a diamond in the rough.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Remember, Spagnuolo is a former DB coach so it's likely he saw something in Fletcher that made him very intriguing. It's likely his size (slightly over six feet) and his physicality. I agree, the scouting profile reminds of Bartell in some ways.

Fletcher was a definite third round possibility, for those wondering about value. Scott Wright at NFLDC has Fletcher's grade as "Round 2 or 3" and NFL Draft Scout has him in the third round prospect on the rise.

The Rams certainly need CB help; it's a need position many Rams fans have overlooked because of unproven youth at the position.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jackson3909 View Post
    i dont like this pick beacuse he is just another small, raw corner back. and it probly would have been better to go with a WR here, but spags and deavney must really see potential in this kid.
    So okay welcome to the rams!
    Did you miss where they mentioned him being of prototypical height? He is over 6 feet, and for a cornerback, that is the margin of small and or not small. He is above that denominator, and therefore is actually taller than 50% or so of the CBs out there. He is not "small" at all. he has good size, long arms, great leaping, and good speed as well. He will probably not be more than our 2-3 CB this year because of Bartell, but with his build, he could eventually take over if he produces good enough.

RamsFanSam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Remember, Spagnuolo is a former DB coach so it's likely he saw something in Fletcher that made him very intriguing. It's likely his size (slightly over six feet) and his physicality. I agree, the scouting profile reminds of Bartell in some ways.

Fletcher was a definite third round possibility, for those wondering about value. Scott Wright at NFLDC has Fletcher's grade as "Round 2 or 3" and NFL Draft Scout has him in the third round prospect on the rise.

The Rams certainly need CB help; it's a need position many Rams fans have overlooked because of unproven youth at the position.
    I didn't realize he was rated this high. I do see the similarities to Bartell, and if the professionals are right, he could be a steal.

This is why I am watching the draft instead of making the picks...

Action_Jackson is offline Registered User

University of Iowa cornerback Bradley Fletcher has been scheduled for five visits with NFL teams, including the Dallas Cowboys and the Philadelphia Eagles, according to a league source.

A projected third-round draft pick, Fletcher has also visited the New York Jets, Atlanta Falcons and the Indianapolis Colts.

The 6′1, 196-pound defensive back ran the 40-yard dash in 4.47 seconds at the NFL Scouting Combine and registered a 40-inch vertical leap and a 10-7 broad jump at his campus Pro Day workout. Fletcher improved his 40-yard dash time to 4.44 seconds at his Pro Day.

Fletcher performed well at the East-West Shrine Game, according to several published reports.

Fletcher has recorded 152 career tackles, five interceptions and 17 pass deflections.

Seems like a lot of teams were interested in him and he would have went in the 3rd round.

Milan is offline Registered User

If all we wanted was prototypical size with average athleticism, we could have taken Keenan Lewis out of Oregon State, who's both taller and heavier than him...ran a 4.53 while Fletcher ran a 4.52.

I wouldn't want either of them, I really...really don't like this pick at all.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, yeah. This will be the 5th draft in a row that we've taken a corner in the first four rounds. On the positive side, at least we're not drafting another sprinter who only really focused on football for a year or two. That really didn't seem to be working out for us.

DistantRam is offline Registered User

And all we've got here is more unproven youth. I fervently hope that Fletcher develops into a quality player for us but there were, and still are, areas of more need than CB.

general counsel is offline Registered User

This drives me absolutely crazy. People are criticizing this pick who i guarantee you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of this player. Bad enough that people think that they know as much as spags and billy in round 1, but in round 3? Are you guys kidding me?

Spags and billy know the relative values of these guys better than any of us. They obviously liked his size and his special teams play. Why would anyone want to take a guy in a position of need (ie wr) if billy and spags thought that this guy was a better player? Does anyone really believe that we are one player away that we have to go exclusively for need? Give me a break.

For the people that supported the spags hiring, which is about 100% or very close to it, of rams nation, give the guy a break and the benefit of the doubt. I think he knows defense better than the rest of us combined.

Please dont start in with the crapola that we could have gotten him later. There is no way to know that. We got the guy we wanted. Thats good enough for me. Our own personal preferences based on our own pet players are IRRELEVANT.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast