Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 88
  1. #31
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    What I am wondering is how far Rhett Bomar will slip, as well as Ramses Barden. I would like both these guys, and I have seen Rhett as far as 6th round. I would be impressed if we could get him at that point, and Ramses at any point would be interesting, as he can basically stand still and catch anything at his height.


  2. #32
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    This drives me absolutely crazy. People are criticizing this pick who i guarantee you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of this player. Bad enough that people think that they know as much as spags and billy in round 1, but in round 3? Are you guys kidding me?

    Spags and billy know the relative values of these guys better than any of us. They obviously liked his size and his special teams play. Why would anyone want to take a guy in a position of need (ie wr) if billy and spags thought that this guy was a better player? Does anyone really believe that we are one player away that we have to go exclusively for need? Give me a break.

    For the people that supported the spags hiring, which is about 100% or very close to it, of rams nation, give the guy a break and the benefit of the doubt. I think he knows defense better than the rest of us combined.

    Please dont start in with the crapola that we could have gotten him later. There is no way to know that. We got the guy we wanted. Thats good enough for me. Our own personal preferences based on our own pet players are IRRELEVANT.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel

    Yeah, we all know that NFL GMs and coaching personnel are always right.

    It's the exact same thing as criticizing a player for a blown assignment or a dropped pass...I guess we can't criticize them either because we don't have as much experience.

  3. #33
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    This drives me absolutely crazy. People are criticizing this pick who i guarantee you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of this player. Bad enough that people think that they know as much as spags and billy in round 1, but in round 3? Are you guys kidding me?

    Spags and billy know the relative values of these guys better than any of us. They obviously liked his size and his special teams play. Why would anyone want to take a guy in a position of need (ie wr) if billy and spags thought that this guy was a better player? Does anyone really believe that we are one player away that we have to go exclusively for need? Give me a break.

    For the people that supported the spags hiring, which is about 100% or very close to it, of rams nation, give the guy a break and the benefit of the doubt. I think he knows defense better than the rest of us combined.

    Please dont start in with the crapola that we could have gotten him later. There is no way to know that. We got the guy we wanted. Thats good enough for me. Our own personal preferences based on our own pet players are IRRELEVANT.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel

    AMEN MY FRIEND! This is why I typically stay away from the boards on draft day. Reading some of the negative comments becomes very comical. It would be one thing if they were OPINIONS, but most are "OPINIONS" with no basis, and some outright bashing. Especially from some posters that I have never seen here or heard of ...

    If you would sit and think for ONE SECOND, or did some DD, you'd realize that Spags turned a bust like Corey Webster into a probowler. He obviously believes he can make this guy into a very servicable player or they wouldn't have drafted him ...

    A big, physical DB who can project as a corner or safety? Seems like he might be nice fit ...

    You have to love arm-chair GM's ....

    And to respond to those who say the GM's and NFL front offices make mistakes - yes, they do, but I GUARANTEE you that they know ALOT more about any of these players and how they fit into the schemes than any of us do ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -04-26-2009 at 10:55 AM.

  4. #34
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    I'm not going to stand behind every pick we make because Spagnuolo is a head coach.

    It's fans that meet everything with support as opposed to thinking critically that help develop a 'we can do anything we want and not catch criticism' attitude with the FO.

  5. #35
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    Yeah, we all know that NFL GMs and coaching personnel are always right.

    It's the exact same thing as criticizing a player for a blown assignment or a dropped pass...I guess we can't criticize them either because we don't have as much experience.
    This is a pretty bad analogy ...

    You are criticizing a player selection before you even know anything about the player or how they will perform. Most likely you are criticizing the selection because they didn't pick your guy or they didn't pick someone that fills what YOU feel is the biggest need ...

    What you are assuming is that you know the needs and players better than our front office ...

    If you want to criticize, take the time to build a logical case, but in these instances, one liners don't cut it ...

  6. #36
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,616
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Did i say that they were always right? Of course not. What i said is that the professionals are in the BEST position to evaluate talent and the needs of the team, not a bunch of amateurs with limited knowledge like the people on this board and that means all of us.

    Criticizing is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, criticizing with very very limited knowledge is not real smart.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


  7. #37
    Nick's Avatar
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Morgantown, WV
    Age
    31
    Posts
    19,531
    Rep Power
    154

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    If all we wanted was prototypical size with average athleticism, we could have taken Keenan Lewis out of Oregon State, who's both taller and heavier than him...ran a 4.53 while Fletcher ran a 4.52.

    I wouldn't want either of them, I really...really don't like this pick at all.
    Fletcher does not have average athleticism, IMO. Your forty times also are not accurate. Both players ran a 4.47 40 at the combine, but Fletcher had the superior 10-yard split and improved on his forty at his pro day whereas Lewis did not.

  8. #38
    RamsInfiniti's Avatar
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    R.I.P.
    Age
    35
    Posts
    2,743
    Rep Power
    77

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    I'm not going to stand behind every pick we make because Spagnuolo is a head coach.

    It's fans that meet everything with support as opposed to thinking critically that help develop a 'we can do anything we want and not catch criticism' attitude with the FO.
    At this point, you have little to no reason to criticize any pick the Spags/Devaney regime makes until they prove incapable of making good, rational decisions ...

  9. #39
    Fat Pang's Avatar
    Fat Pang is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    64

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    He looks like a nice package of size and speed to me and playing Arizona twice a year means that the CB position is one you have to be ready to address.

    From what I've seen over the last two drafts, I see no reason to start jumping over Devaney and Spagnuolo over this pick and from what I've been able to read about him, he was pegged as a third-rounder by many.

    No way do you know he'd have been available in Rnd 4. If you think he's your guy, pick him.

  10. #40
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    To add to what General just said, regarding reaching in the 3rd round, maybe there was no other choice.

    What if the Rams chart already got filled like this (just an example)

    3. ?
    4. Ramses Barden
    5. Rhett Bomar
    6. John Doe (As if I could know anything about these last two rounds)
    7. John Doe (As if I could know anything about these last two rounds)

    At that point, "Oh hey, we want that guy, but...you know what, he isn't really a 3rd rounder, so maybe we shouldn't touch him at all. We'll just go with someone we don't want because he wasn't really fit for our only draft opening."

    The deeper it goes, the better chance a guy will be available later, and remember, we have deeper picks in round 5 and 6 from Atlanta, not our own at the start of the rounds.

    That means, that picks 3-4 are basically it for the major talent. Once we pick 4th, we won't pick for what will feel like 2 rounds, and that is a major drop in talent. So, if we had our 3-4 targets, we need to grab them, before they are gone.

  11. #41
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Fletcher does not have average athleticism, IMO. Your forty times also are not accurate. Both players ran a 4.47 40 at the combine, but Fletcher had the superior 10-yard split and improved on his forty at his pro day whereas Lewis did not.
    I got my 40 times from NFL Draft Countdown, maybe they hadn't updated the site if I got the 40 times wrong.

  12. #42
    A-Web's Avatar
    A-Web is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    250
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    At this point, you have little to no reason to criticize any pick the Spags/Devaney regime makes until they prove incapable of making good, rational decisions ...
    Yeah, rational decisions!

    I mean, come on. We don't have to deal with Al Davis or anything...

    So QUIT COMPLAINING EVERYBODY.

    (Infiniti this was not pegged against you, just re-stating what you said)

  13. #43
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    At this point, you have little to no reason to criticize any pick the Spags/Devaney regime makes until they prove incapable of making good, rational decisions ...
    I criticize based on who's expected to go where and who I think would have been a better pick at the position, not based on my coach's credentials. I'm not critical of Spags/Devaney, I'm critical of the pick.

    Who knows though, I hated the Avery pick last year and wanted DeSean, both turned out pretty good.

  14. #44
    Milan's Avatar
    Milan is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,081
    Rep Power
    14

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Did i say that they were always right? Of course not. What i said is that the professionals are in the BEST position to evaluate talent and the needs of the team, not a bunch of amateurs with limited knowledge like the people on this board and that means all of us.

    Criticizing is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, criticizing with very very limited knowledge is not real smart.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel
    Isn't approval with limited knowledge the exact same thing?

    Like Infiniti said, I have no reason to be critical of Spags/Devaney because they haven't done anything yet to merit the criticism...just like nobody should be overly trusting of the two for the exact same reason.

  15. #45
    general counsel's Avatar
    general counsel is offline Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    atlanta, georgia
    Age
    52
    Posts
    5,616
    Rep Power
    82

    Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

    Again, for people criticizing him, have you EVER seen him play? How much film of him have you watched? Can you at least way to see him play before you say its a lousy pick. The reality is its ROUND 3, these are not safe picks. The point with spags is to give him the benefit of the doubt. You can certainly have an opinion, no one is saying you shouldnt, but what do you know about this guy that qualifies you to say that another player is a better choice? Where is the rationale argument and basis behind the opinion. I really like reading your stuff Milan, i just think that on this point, you are jumping to a conclusion based on insufficient information and you may turn out to be right, but lets wait and see what happens first. There is no question that a big corner who can also play special teams is a need for us. The fact that we have greater needs doesnt mean we should take a guy who spags and billy think is inferior.

    ramming speed to all

    general counsel


Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Post reports from your school!
    By DJRamFan in forum COLLEGE
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: -06-08-2010, 04:01 PM
  2. Rams Trivia - Share What You Know
    By AlphaRam in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 165
    Last Post: -11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
  3. Thomas Chat --Jan 27th
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -01-28-2009, 01:40 PM
  4. Gordo Live, Monday, March 3rd
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: -03-04-2008, 07:22 PM
  5. J. Thomas Live, 12-27
    By RamWraith in forum RAM TALK
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: -12-28-2007, 11:46 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •