Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

fact is, we are a terrible team at the moment, and we need help everywhere
    if we were just one WR away from a superbowl, then id criticise the pick

but we arent, we could take anyone and it would be a good pick

codeman123 is offline Registered User

6 foot 200 pounds. 4.5 40 yard dash. He is a big athletic and strong guy. He registered 74 tackles (43 solos), two interceptions and six pass deflections as a senior. He also performed as a running back, as he rushed 143 times for 815 yards 12 touchdowns as a senior, adding 17 receptions for 314 yards and one kickoff return for 61 yards.
    Overall big surprise, but a very nice pick.

Milan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Again, for people criticizing him, have you EVER seen him play? How much film of him have you watched? Can you at least way to see him play before you say its a lousy pick. The reality is its ROUND 3, these are not safe picks. The point with spags is to give him the benefit of the doubt. You can certainly have an opinion, no one is saying you shouldnt, but what do you know about this guy that qualifies you to say that another player is a better choice? Where is the rationale argument and basis behind the opinion. I really like reading your stuff Milan, i just think that on this point, you are jumping to a conclusion based on insufficient information and you may turn out to be right, but lets wait and see what happens first. There is no question that a big corner who can also play special teams is a need for us. The fact that we have greater needs doesnt mean we should take a guy who spags and billy think is inferior.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

I have seen him play, only one game though...and I wasn't really focusing on him at all. I know that Penn State's passing game was awful that game.

Not a fan of the pick because I wanted Rashad Johnson, but he's still not selected, so I'm getting a bit better with the pick.

A-Web is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by codeman123 View Post
    6 foot 200 pounds. 4.5 40 yard dash. He is a big athletic and strong guy. He registered 74 tackles (43 solos), two interceptions and six pass deflections as a senior. He also performed as a running back, as he rushed 143 times for 815 yards 12 touchdowns as a senior, adding 17 receptions for 314 yards and one kickoff return for 61 yards.
    Overall big surprise, but a very nice pick.

So not only is he playing defense in a position to register some picks, but now we know he knows how to run with the ball and score too...

Doesn't sound so bad eh?

He can definitely return our kicks in my book. We were pretty bad at that last season, and we saw ALOT of kicks...

Truth is offline Registered User

I'm not completly disappointed with this pick; we are thin in the D backfield. However, I would have chosen a player to help solidify our D Line first. I would have gone with Terrance Knighton. At 6'3", and 321lbs, he'd be able to help stuff the run. I also think Jarron Gilbert would have been a good choice here. I guess we'll just have to see. As I've said in other posts, I will trust the capabilities of the new FO and coaching staff unless/until they prove they don't desrve that trust.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Dominating D is offline Registered User

This drives me absolutely crazy. People are criticizing this pick who i guarantee you have absolutely ZERO knowledge of this player. Bad enough that people think that they know as much as spags and billy in round 1, but in round 3? Are you guys kidding me?

Spags and billy know the relative values of these guys better than any of us. They obviously liked his size and his special teams play. Why would anyone want to take a guy in a position of need (ie wr) if billy and spags thought that this guy was a better player? Does anyone really believe that we are one player away that we have to go exclusively for need? Give me a break.

For the people that supported the spags hiring, which is about 100% or very close to it, of rams nation, give the guy a break and the benefit of the doubt. I think he knows defense better than the rest of us combined.

Please dont start in with the crapola that we could have gotten him later. There is no way to know that. We got the guy we wanted. Thats good enough for me. Our own personal preferences based on our own pet players are IRRELEVANT.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    If the Rams continue to draft for need they will never upgrade positions and will continue to draft at the top of the draft year in and year out. Draft some football players and when you have the talent then you can draft for need to try and get that last piece of the puzzle. The Rams are not in the position to draft for need they need some talented football players.

Also, due to spread offense you better have at least 5 or 6 DB's that can play.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

Well, considering this is Spags' first year, I can't say we have any right to evaluate what he thinks is a good pick because he's never done this before. If these players turn out to be great, then we'll happily say we were wrong and have more faith in our personnel. I can't blame you guys for having no faith, but we've had a lot of changes and we don't know that we can't count on them yet!

Let's use this year's draft and assume we did the right choice. I've had nothing but good vibes thus far with Spags and Devaney so I am happy with their decisions. There's a reason we got him, Smith and Laurinaitis. If they turn out to all be kinda crappy, we can be skeptical this year, but we haven't experienced disappointment yet with these guys, let's give 'em a shot.

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    fact is, we are a terrible team at the moment, and we need help everywhere
    if we were just one WR away from a superbowl, then id criticise the pick

but we arent, we could take anyone and it would be a good pick
    Exactly. Do the Rams even have a starting corner next to Bartell? Hill looked bad last year, Wade can't work his way onto the field, and we have no idea what we have in King.

Spags wants physical players in the secondary, and Fletcher fits that.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Why do you think that spags has never done this before? He must have had significant input as the giants defensive coordinator. not the final say, but the head coach doesnt have final say now. He certainly has plenty of experience in evaluating college talent and determining how they will do in the pros and this is the same exercise.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

btimsah Guest

The Donnie Avery of the 09' draft? I liked what I saw of him in the video posted. If we could even team him with Atogwe we could have a good safety combo. Either way, interesting pick that I like. So far I really like our draft. We're really filling needs.

Black Hills Ramman is offline Registered User

Looks like alot of raw talent here. I believe Spags and staff can make this into a pretty good looking pick by year 2
    BLACK HILLS RAMMAN

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Criticizing is fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However, criticizing with very very limited knowledge is not real smart.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    Since we all have varying degrees of limited knowledge, I'm not sure who on this site qualifies to criticize anything the Rams do. Half the fun of clanram is the right to be as opinionated as you like even when going off half cocked.

I'm the first to say I have little to no expertise in this area. But it is a curious pick. Mayock said he had 6 CB rated higher than Fletcher. Who's right? Only time will tell. Since BD and Spags have made good moves so far, I'm willing to give them some rope. But I don't mind hearing from clanners that question the pick. We all want what best for the Rams. This pick just seems to cause some head-scratching, that's all.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Milan View Post
    I have seen him play, only one game though...and I wasn't really focusing on him at all. I know that Penn State's passing game was awful that game.

Not a fan of the pick because I wanted Rashad Johnson, but he's still not selected, so I'm getting a bit better with the pick.
    Same here. I have seen him play as well. Granted I also was focusing more on Shonn Greene going berserk on the Indiana defense and Indiana's offense didn't give him much work, but I have seen him.

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

don't know much about him other than from the draft notes everywhere but:

Fact is... Darrius Vinnett (sp?) is going to remain our spec'l teamer and backup role db without this pick. When you're "dressing" guys on game day, they've got to be motivated, versatile, and able to fill in for the starter if game injuries decimate the 1st and 2nd stringers.

The fact that this guy is fast and not afraid of contact puts him on both sides of the ball for spec'l teams, runnin down a returner on the outside... as well as being a possible returner himself. Sorry Stanley... but stick to receiving!

spec'l teams is a serious need. using a 3rd on a tall and speedy db prospect to compete with the "unproven youth" while contributing on spec'l teams seems all right.

i thought a DT would have been the pick, but i see the rationale of it. put him to work and see what he can do!

btw: loved the Laurinaitus pick. was watching everybody pass on Rey and James in picks 25-35 and was really getting excited... hoping for this exact pick. Grabbing a blue chip OT and then getting a top rated inside lb in the 2nd was exactly what i hoped for.
    Last edited by KoaKoi; -04-26-2009 at 11:42 AM. Reason: syntax error

Rambos is offline Registered User

Don't You Forget About Me: 2009 NFL Draft Sleepers

His body of work is small, but there can be no denying his upside.

As a senior, he had 60 tackles, three interceptions, and 10 passes broken up. He's the right size for the position and has the speed to keep up with most NFL wide receivers.

He has the instincts of a free safety and can play well in space or on an island, which gives him the right kind of versatility for any NFL team looking to fill holes in their secondary.

CB Bradley Fletcher - Draft Video Profile - Video

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast