Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    general counsel is offline Registered User

Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

Great point by Mike. I had no idea he had a DUI conviction. That is a legitimate argument for avoiding the guy, given billy's prior comments. Billy and spags really must have loved him to pick him (especially over michael johnson) with that hanging out there. I agree with mike, should be interesting to see what billy says about the pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    Great point by Mike. I had no idea he had a DUI conviction. That is a legitimate argument for avoiding the guy, given billy's prior comments. Billy and spags really must have loved him to pick him (especially over michael johnson) with that hanging out there. I agree with mike, should be interesting to see what billy says about the pick.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    The fact that the guy plead guilty, voluntarily entered rehab, did his community service, and stayed clean ever since might have something to do with it ...

One mistake does not make a guy a T.O. or Pacman, considering many, many, many on this board have probably done the same thing he did - but you didn't get caught ...

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Why Fletcher? Rams Wanted Bigger CB
    By Jeff Gordon
    04.26.2009 11:51 am

The Rams may not have been hot on Bradley Fletcher for the Jim Haslett defense. But new coach Steve Spagnuolo wanted a bigger cornerback capable of getting up to the line on press coverage.

Fletcher stands 6-foot-and-change and weighs nearly 200 pounds.

“He fits what we’re doing here really well,” Rams GM Billy Devaney said. “He is a size guy that we think will be a real good press-size corner because of his size, his length. That is why we were excited he was still there when we got in this morning.”

The braintrust was satisfied that Fletcher’s DUI beef at Iowa was an aberration and not an indicator.

“We did our due diligence thoroughly withi this guy,” Devaney said. “It kept coming back, ‘he messed up, he made a mistake.’

“We had everybody vouch for him at Iowa that is he is a strong character guy. There is no question in our mind that he is a good guy.”

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

i sure hope that they decide to keep him at CB ...its handy to have him as insurance for O.J.`s free safety spot but id hate to see us hold him back by bouncing him between positions the way the previous regime did with Bartell.

the pick is growing on me the more ive looked into him..he may not have been the B.P.A on many fans lists but he was obviously the B.P.A on the Rams list in light of the system they plan to run, so im all for the pick.

am looking forward to "hearing" the opinion of Ramsfan16 on one of his Iowa boys becoming a Ram...

jerseyramsfan is offline Registered User

Don't like this pick at all. Not with Michael Johnson still on the board... Then we turn around and take a DE in the 4th... Are you kidding?

Barry Waller is offline Registered User

I love how someone calls this a "reach". It is the opposite of that, because the needs at RB, WR, QB, OT(still), DE, and DT were all FAR bigger than DB.

It's a risky pick, to be sure, so the scouts really had to love what this guys brings, what Spags wants in corners, ability to press cover, ability to run support, ability to be special t eams studs.

I think it's really a "best athlete" available type pick.

We'll see how it works out
    Barry Waller

RealRam is offline Registered User

Okay, let's coach this young man well; use his strengths wisely -- his strengths hopefully including the ability to listen and learn. Not familiar with Fletcher at all but seems to be an average potential prospect that may fill one of our needs.

BF selection = "O.K."

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by jerseyramsfan View Post
    Don't like this pick at all. Not with Michael Johnson still on the board... Then we turn around and take a DE in the 4th... Are you kidding?
    Why many are so high on Michael Johnson, I will never get. If there ever was a "reach", it is him. Absolute one-dimensional player who has shown little or no ability to stop the run. Reminds me of a Vernon Gholston type athlete ....

He does not even remotely fit Spags scheme, which requires versatile players all across the defensive line. And which DE did we take in the 4th? None, that was a DT.
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -04-26-2009 at 09:28 PM.

general counsel is offline Registered User

See thats exactly the kind of comment that drives some of us crazy. You can criticize the pick but then you go ahead and make a comment about us taking a de in the next round which is simply factually inaccurate when we take a nose tackle which we all know that we need for rotation purposes. Its a fair point to say that we passed on michael johnson, but we had a need for a big corner as well and johnson has been very one dimensional (i live in atlanta and have tech season tix, i have seen him play for three years). Johnson takes plenty of plays off. I would have been very happy with the johnson pick if we went in that direction but fletcher is the guy spags wanted and he can do as much if not more for the rams, including be an excellent special teams player. The spags system requires big corners. This guy fits that description.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    The reason people jump into other's faces is because they expect intelligent opinions with some backing ...

Saying "Oh, this is a bad pick, we should have drafted so and so because they were rated higher" ...

Rated higher by who? Football people? or ESPN draft pundits?

Every team is different and has different needs. Every teams BPA list is different ...

Every drafted player is equivalent until they put a uniform on. Calling a pick a "bad pick" at this point is absurd, particularly when most can't even add a sentence or two onto that assessment to indicate why they feel that way ...
    Perhaps your expectations are a bit over-inflated.

Is it really that big of a deal?

Do you suppose the rest of us are such gulls that we are going to put a lot of stock in those kinds of comments? Like we are all waiting for someone to rush in and save us by setting the poor fella straight. I'm quite certain that these silly one-liners would go without notice if others would just let them go. Personally, I don't think they are even worth the effort of a reply.

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if others just do it to yank someones chain.

shower beers is online now Registered User

After the initial shock wore off, I have come to like this pick a lot. This is exactly the type of player we need in our secondary right now, and he seems to fit the new mold of our defense. I'm interested to see if he'll be competing for a safety position in addition to a corner position.

ramfan56 is offline Registered User

Smile Re: With the 66th overall pick, the Rams draft Brad Fletcher, CB, Iowa

next ron bartell?

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

when Micheal Johnson was drafted, i think Mayock showed some video of him in NFL Network, and he looked bad. The video ive seen in this top of Fletcher leaves me impressed

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456