Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

mikhal5569 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

Well, at the least the team will finally have someone known for catching the ball instead of dropping it!
    lordwhttgr likes this.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

Love this pick, this is exactly what we need a receiver that can actually consistently catch the ball. I truly think this guy can become a kind of Anquan Boldin lite. Tough receiver that works over the center of the field and can make that catch in traffic. Depending on how much Alexander and Avery stay healthy we can have a receiver to stretch the field and have a receiver and TE that can work over the center.

npow81 is offline Registered User

Might I add that this no. 1 WR question, and saying that Hankerson is and Pettis might not be is a myth. We have everything we need in a WR spread out in the receivers we have now. In McDaniels offense we are going to be spreading things out with 3-4 WR and Kendricks likely to be split out often. Pettis will be fantastic working the middle (and red zone) for years to come. Very safe pick, may not be flashy enough pick for some, but guarantee he sticks in the league and is a very solid player for years to come
    mikhal5569 likes this.

39thebeast is offline Registered User

Not a fan, hopefully Avery and DX can stay healthy and be consistent deep threats and this pick will look better.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I had Pettis as the Rams' 5th Round pick in my mock, so this is higher than I expected him to go, but...

I like Pettis as a player. We really don't have a player like him. He is a big receiver who plays big. He will fight for the ball in traffic. Paired with a QB like Bradford, who is accurate enough to fit the ball in tight places, he could be a good guy to have.

The bottom line here is that, in the absence of a deep crop of "No. 1 WRs," the Rams are finding pass cathers they believe will fit their system.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Well, call me a skeptic. Part of me wants to say that McDaniel had some luck with receivers in Denver--Marshall, Royals, even Lloyd was surprisingly successful--but Pettis wasn't even the best receiver on his college team. If he's in the top 3 of our depth chart by opening day and not because of injuries to others, I'll agree it was a good pick. Otherwise, I think we left some potentially starting level defensive talent and some solid backup runningback options on the board.

lordwhttgr is offline Registered User
    I live in Danville Illinois, I work all over the USA.

He plays against inferior teams as opposed to higher caliber teams like Oklahoma, Texas and Florida. In my opinion, Boise State relys on their blue turf to win most of their games. However, where there is room to improve, I see promise. Boise State has been staying in the lime light after their upset of Oklahoma and you don't do that without playing and teaching good football. This guy just might pan out. We will see.

richtree is offline Registered User

We really need this guy to live in the weight room. He plays long for his height, and I said he has best hands in the draft in my WR scouting write up...

You wonder how come he isn't stronger and you wonder if he can block and push off the stronger NFL corners...

He will not start but he can fill roles in packes -- hard to compare because he is bigger than Lance Moore but has that knack similar ....a little Kevin Walter but needs that extra muscle...

good luck to Pettis as a Ram !@!

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

I loved watching Pettis play at BSU and I like the pick, albeit a little early. Obviously not a #1, but he'll make the big catches when they have to be made, even in the tightest places. I think he's going to surprise people and make no mistake about it, he's no Mardy Gilyard.

His hands do look impressive in the highlights. I agree that if he isn't going to be fast, he's going to need to get strong to be able to get position on the corners in the league.

Dwight Frye is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    He plays against inferior teams as opposed to higher caliber teams like Oklahoma, Texas and Florida. In my opinion, Boise State relys on their blue turf to win most of their games..
    Ooh, I dunno ....Last time I saw 'em on tv they were mopping the place up w VT. think it was Miami the year before .... OU before that. Matter of fact, EVERYtime I see them their taking out somebody. I like BSU. Sorry for the derail ....

Just sayin'.
    If a team won their division seven straight times, that would be a NFL record. Now add on that team did it with seven different QB's in seven straight years,that record is unbeatable. To do that feat, you must of had a great Defense. Jack Youngblood was the captain of that defense.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

He should be capable of running adequate routes with McD calling the shots, and with those hands, I see him becoming a reliable receiver. I can assume Bradford will have a +3500 yd season spreading the ball around to the likes of Avery, Amendola, DX, Gibson, Gilyard, Clayton, Kendricks, Hooman, and Pettis. I can understand getting Pettis for the red zone threat but I'm a bit skeptical about him being picked this early, however, it wouldn't matter where he was drafted if he flourishes well in the McD system.

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Interesting that this guy was far faster in the 20 yd shuffle at The Combine than most of the WR prospects we've been talking about, eg Pettis: 3.88...Julio: 4.25...Green & Hankerson: 4.21 .

Fastest of any player in 2011,actually. Perhaps you could argue that this test of lateral speed and coordination is a better measure of football athleticism, ie translates to working in traffic & good cuts/separation skills than running a 40 yd dash like it's the Olympics where there's no Patrick Willis blocking your lane & a breath of wind can ruin your day..

Maybe McDeSpags are more confident in the deep threat options in Danario/Clayton/Avery than most fans & it's Gibson or Amendola they want to challenge with this guy.

Still, an unsettling pick for me like everyone else. I wonder if they got pipped on some of those OGs and RBs that went just before they picked, a la Shonn Greene.

I have basically no confidence in our deep threat options at this point. I like DX but question whether he's ever going to be more than a role player. Avery needs to not only come back but come back significantly improved over his play in 2009. I don't classify Clayton as a true deep threat. He's good enough on the intermediate routes but not so dangerous as to keep teams from stacking the box against Jackson.

rams_man13 is offline Registered User

I'm watching some extra film on Pettis and my opinion is growing of him. Not a flashy guy, but he plays big and strong which is a nice compliment for what we currently have on the roster. Clayton and Pettis on the outside with Avery (assuming he's got his speed back) working the slot could provide us some nice options with Kendricks as another match-up problem.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast