Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

cfh128 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

We have more #2's than a pencil factory

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

This is interesting. Originally I thought why? But after realizing what he could become from pairing him up with the guys we already have made the pick valid. He and Amendola are sure handed guys. Both work the middle well and both will make several catches per game. Pettis is a bigger guy giving us some possible match up advantages. With Clayton, Alexander and Avery on the outsides everyone should make others shine. This offense can really work well together and feed off of each other. Avery and DX are serious deep threats while Clayton is the veteran possession receiver. Not to even mention Uh Oh and Lance Kendricks. He will have huge advantages and look for him to be a big part of the offense next year. With all these players last year I would be able to guarantee you a playoff birth.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

How many fearless receivers do we have? Pettis is fearless. He has no problems going over the middle and is unaffected by traffic or defenders drapped over him. I honestly can't wait to see what he can do as a pro.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Nothing against the guy, buy I don't know why he's our third round pick when he can easily be our 4th or 5th round pick.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Good God, what are these guys thinking? I am absolutely lost. Both picks today seem like epic proportion wastes to me. Pettis is at best, a number 4 possesion receiver in the NFL which is what we appear to have more of than any position on this team. I watched plenty of Boise State football over the last 3 years and I have never been particularly impressed with him. He is no better than Brandon Gibson in my opinion, which is to say, that we are only tredding water and making absolutely no progress with today's picks.

Is our front office allergic to speed? We have to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL, and how Spags and company thinks they can transform a team with no speed into a consistent winner is beyond me. We absolutely must get faster to be a real contender in this league, IMO.

Absolute F grade with today's picks.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

Pettis brings great hands and size to a WR corps that has neither of that. Like him better then hankerson because of his hands. I also like the kendricks pick. Good hands can stretch the field and is an underrated blocker. We went into this draft saying "We need to get bradford weapons" well we just did and I like it.

RAMpage28 is offline Registered User

some of you guys need to chill and watch this work out. Let mcdaniels get his weapons so he can make one of his great offenses and let Ken and Steve work with our defense.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

I wonder if McDaniels had any influence on this pick...hmmm.

With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of the pick. It's not a TERRIBLE pick by any means, but I think the talent level that was available was a lot higher than Pettis.

Fettmaster is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    With that being said, I'm not a huge fan of the pick. It's not a TERRIBLE pick by any means, but I think the talent level that was available was a lot higher than Pettis.
    I agree with this.

lostsoul is offline Registered User

I love this pick. We get a guy that is a HUGE threat in the redzone. Has amazing focus, hands like a vacuum, and is great at positioning himself in front of a corner to make a play.

Cant wait to see this guy on the field.

RAMarkable is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    I wonder if McDaniels had any influence on this pick...hmmm.
    And why the hell should he? He all but personally ran a proud franchise like Denver in the ground with some of the worst personnel moves so help me Shawgmunt.

He shouldn't be anywhere near the Rams war room. (Dude actually drafted Denaryius Thomas over Dez Bryant...Bwahaha) He was brought in to coach the players that BILLY selected and nothing else.

Man I am going to be really steamed if this clown is having any say over who we draft. OTOH maybe he's drugged Billy and has him tied up in the closet or something. Stranger things have happened, just look at our 2nd and 3rd rounds

I'm really depressed....is the friggin' draft over yet or do we have to suffer some more?

WHAT SAY YE?

sosa39rams is offline Registered User

Lets not forget. Other then the Patriots offense in 2007, McDaniels has never really had the ball constantly going to 1 WR. They ball is spread terrifically in his scheme.

Look at last year with the Broncos for example:

Eddie Royal - 59 receptions, 627 yards, 10.6 average, 3 touchdowns.
    Demaryius Thomas - 22 receptions, 283 yards, 12.9 average, 2 touchdowns.
    Jabar Gaffney - 65 receptions, 875 yards, 13.5 average, 2 touchdowns.
    Brandon Lloyd - 77 receptions, 1,448 yards, 18.8 average, 11 touchdowns.

That is pretty equal distribution other than Thomas who was injured almost all year. That bodes well with the WR's we have. I am really excited to see our offense next year. The best part is we are actually trying to make an effort to improve our passing game.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Is our front office allergic to speed? We have to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL, and how Spags and company thinks they can transform a team with no speed into a consistent winner is beyond me. We absolutely must get faster to be a real contender in this league, IMO.
    You do realize that Kendricks is very fast for a TE, right?

As for speed at the WR position, assuming our current players (Avery, Alexander) are healthy, that's not really the problem.

I didn't think Pettis would be a third round choice, but then again, I've never been an NFL scout, GM or coach.

I guess you have.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    I hope those #2s aren't bathroom material.

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by cfh128 View Post
    Exactly why I don't mind this pick in the 3rd. Did not want to see us take a Hankerson or a Little in the 2nd. Pettis can score in the redzone with his size and hands, just another guy to throw in the mix. If we can't go out and sign a big name FA, I like what we're working with next year in ; Clayton, Avery, Pettis, Gilyard, Gibson, and Danny Boy. Sam needed some weapons, and we got value picks for him, as far as I'm concerned. No reaching so far this year.
    Last edited by eric2810; -04-30-2011 at 12:18 AM.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast