Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

Led all receivers at the combine with a 3.88 shuttle time.
    I liked that part, apparently it was also one of the fastest shuttle times in recent memory.

Others with more knowledge can debate the draft position and value, but he fills a need and should provide something the receiver core currently lacks.

Sidney Rice in free agency would be the icing on the cake for the offense.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

Well me says that our Round 2-3 pick have fitted McDaniel's scheme, so I am wondering if we are doing this for McDaniels and if he has any sort of say in this.

BrokenWing is offline Registered User

Or maybe we want to build an offense around a scheme instead of hammering a circle into a square hole?

lostsoul is offline Registered User

But if you get enough TE's and someone like Linehan to coach 'em up you could totally get the circle in the square hole.
    Goldenfleece and BrokenWing like this.

punahou is offline Registered User

Oh joy

Donnie Aintly
    Mark Jackson
    Mrs Robinson
    Branded Gippson
    a poor mans Wes Welker

and now our poor mans AJ Green.

H
    E
    L
    P

please, someone tell why I keep having faith in this team for the last 35 years of life.

We might as well put Spagknewnothing and McDaniels on the field and start them as receivers while we are at this insanity.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    We might as well put Spagknewnothing and McDaniels on the field and start them as receivers while we are at this insanity.
    Given your wealth of football knowledge, I think its very selfish of you that you haven't offered your services to the poor, know-nothing, Rams Front Office and coaches. What kind of fan are you anyway!?!

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

Oh joy

Donnie Aintly
    Mark Jackson
    Mrs Robinson
    Branded Gippson
    a poor mans Wes Welker

and now our poor mans AJ Green.

H
    E
    L
    P

please, someone tell why I keep having faith in this team for the last 35 years of life.

Back to the Whiners forums with you bub? The reason we picked these guys is because they're a perfect fit in McDaniels's system to create adequate mismatches. Hoomanawanui may have bright flashes but he's still very questionable with his injury history.

Kendricks is capable of making mismatches with his fluid verticals while Pettis runs crispy routes and has the finest hands a WR could ask for. The best thing about these two players is that they're capable of sniffing down the red zone, which we often turn into FGs instead of TDs last season and don't even get me started on that week 17 game vs. the Shesquawks.. Man poor route running, poor use of hands when trying to catch the ball, I understand we have an exposed secondary but we still have the 4th, 5th, two 7th round picks, and the FA to plug in the holes in those ship.

If you're really going to complain like this, then you can jump ship and swim your away to the Whiners ship if this is going to be a serious problem for you...

"...why I don't mind this pick in the 3rd...."

exactly why we should mind--- this guy and our #2 pick could probably have been gotten in later rounds

what complete waste of draft picks last year. You are basically saying I f--ked up last year with our TE selections, so lets f--k up again. You might as well just cut Hooomanananao, Onuuubun, and Bajema right now as thats the message you just sent
    Last edited by punahou; -04-30-2011 at 01:19 AM.

Posted by the Filipinostallion

"Back to the Whiners forums with you bub? The reason we picked these guys is because they're a perfect fit in McDaniels's system to create adequate mismatches. Hoomanawanui may have bright flashes but he's still very questionable with his injury history.

Kendricks is capable of making mismatches with his fluid verticals while Pettis runs crispy routes and has the finest hands a WR could ask for. The best thing about these two players is that they're capable of sniffing down the red zone, which we often turn into FGs instead of TDs last season and don't even get me started on that week 17 game vs. the Shesquawks.. Man poor route running, poor use of hands when trying to catch the ball, I understand we have an exposed secondary but we still have the 4th, 5th, two 7th round picks, and the FA to plug in the holes in those ship.

If you're really going to complain like this, then you can jump ship and swim your away to the Whiners ship if this is going to be a serious problem for you... "

1st off-- dont EVER call me a Niners fan, ever.

2ndly-- You will never get the sugar coating from me-- I speak my mind, and never hold back. I dont give a damn who it is either.

3rdly--

these 2 picks are terrible-- period. They are terrible based on the position of the draft they were selected in, as there were clearly much better players available when they were selected.

Some of you kill me with your stallwart, company guy mentalities. Yet you wonder WHT arent we winning more?

Its called blind faith coupled with the fear to speak out against the system. I know for a fact Im not happy about

2-14, 1-15, 3-13, 8-8, anything similar.

The draft started well and is ending very Like the Rams we have seen for the past decade. I am astounded that anyone here could remotely 'like' our 2nd/3rd round picks.

And dont you EVER, EVER call me a niners fan again brah. If you want Ill post my real phone number and we go meet and go toe to toe until you say you're sorry for that dergatory comment.
    live4ramin likes this.

Flippin' Ram is offline Registered User

2ndly-- You will never get the sugar coating from me-- I speak my mind, and never hold back. I dont give a damn who it is either.

3rdly--

these 2 picks are terrible-- period. They are terrible based on the position of the draft they were selected in, as there were clearly much better players available when they were selected.

Some of you kill me with your stallwart, company guy mentalities. Yet you wonder WHT arent we winning more?

Its called blind faith coupled with the fear to speak out against the system. I know for a fact Im not happy about

The draft started well and is ending very Like the Rams we have seen for the past decade. I am astounded that anyone here could remotely 'like' our 2nd/3rd round picks.

And dont you EVER, EVER call me a niners fan again brah. If you want Ill post my real phone number and we go meet and go toe to toe until you say you're sorry for that dergatory comment.
    Alright so I was wrong to go calling a fellow Rams fan a Whiner jumper... Kay you got me there but try to at least be hopeful with these picks, sorry I was fired up right there but you gotta understand that McDaniels's system emphasizes on spreading the ball adequately (teamwork is key) rather than putting the entire offense on Bradford and some #1 receiver's shoulders, and I'm pretty sure our last two 2nd and 3rd round picks during these two year spans are just as controversial as this one but Laurinaitis, Fletcher, Saffold, and Murphy all did their job providing adequate services for our team. Hope you can at least think about it and see to it that it's not as horrible as you think it is.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    Given your wealth of football knowledge, I think its very selfish of you that you haven't offered your services to the poor, know-nothing, Rams Front Office and coaches. What kind of fan are you anyway!?!

Come on Avenger-- you seen enough of my posts to know that Im not a yes man.
    Im sure you and the rest are tired of below averge play and mediocrity.

Yes, I am fan, and thats why Im vehement when I see irrational picks like these last 2. Im a fan that cares, but im not a fan that coddles the front office. Its like Im reading the Emporers new clothes, and everyone is pretending the emporer is actually clothed. Its picks like these that keep us mired down, while tacticians and gamblers in the NFL reap the rewards.

Its clear we werent going to get a #1 receiver, so why are we settling for yet another 2 or 3 reciever?
    Are you proud of last years TE picks-- as it seems that this brain trust has a penchant for picking multiple people that play the same position in the same draft IE TE and CB in recent years.

this new quote thing is driving me batty as I cant consistantly get it to work-- but to Filipino stallion, I understand we are all trying to support the cause, and well Im doing it the way my decade of frustration has taught me to do it.

Anyhow- apology accepted and hopefully this draft does bear fruit.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    Good God, what are these guys thinking? I am absolutely lost. Both picks today seem like epic proportion wastes to me. Pettis is at best, a number 4 possesion receiver in the NFL which is what we appear to have more of than any position on this team.
    As I look at a draft profile from 2006 on espn.com I am struck by how similar your complaints are to Brandon Marshalls conceived negatives coming out of college. Let me say that I dont expect to pettis to be Bradon marshall, but I do expect him to contribute and help this team.
    I watched plenty of Boise State football over the last 3 years and I have never been particularly impressed with him. He is no better than Brandon Gibson in my opinion, which is to say, that we are only tredding water and making absolutely no progress with today's picks.
    I disagree, first of all Gibson has below average hands while pettis is a true possesion receiver. Pettis also runs his routes in a much more crisp and precise manner then gibson. But I guess you already know all that since you watched boise state so closely the past 3 years.

Is our front office allergic to speed? We have to be one of the slowest teams in the NFL, and how Spags and company thinks they can transform a team with no speed into a consistent winner is beyond me.
    I agree, I say we just ask Al Davis to run our drafts for us from now on. I bet if we ask real nice he will even let us have Darius Heyward Bey. That enough speed for you?
    We absolutely must get faster to be a real contender in this league, IMO.
    Yes cause we all know that the receivers on Baltimore, New England, Green bay, and San Diego are all absolute burners.

Absolute F grade with today's picks.
    Your analysis of these picks is irrelevant, you have yet to see any of these players actually play the game so you cannot judge anything about them. No matter what you think you dont need elite physical atributes to succeed in the NFL.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

Posted by the Filipinostallion

"Back to the Whiners forums with you bub? The reason we picked these guys is because they're a perfect fit in McDaniels's system to create adequate mismatches. Hoomanawanui may have bright flashes but he's still very questionable with his injury history.

If you're really going to complain like this, then you can jump ship and swim your away to the Whiners ship if this is going to be a serious problem for you... "

3rdly--

Make a post like an intelligent rational human without challenging people to fights and referring to them as "Brah" and without giving several Rams players, many of whom were late round picks and undrafted players, and coaches really dumb non clever nicknames and maybe people will respond to your posts with respect and not call you a ***** fan.

This new front office has had to fix a decade of bad decisions and has made great improvements and given fans every reason to have faith in their decisions. Provide an actual argument showing why these were bad picks other than stating that these guys are simply terrible. The current Rams tight ends are all young late round picks or undrafted players who have had injury problems and getting players who can make plays in the middle of the field is not a mistake and its not showing a lack of faith in their current players. It is not dumb to try to upgrade at a positions like this that do not currently have any true reliable starter.

md8
    md8 is offline Registered User

I do this think will help us this year if we don't sign a big free agent. But this is why I hate the pick.

He's most likely not going to be a #1. Probably not even a #2. But lets say we get lucky and he happens to be better than everyone thinks and turns into a solid #2. We still need to go out and get a #1. So when we do get one. We already have a #2 WR in Clayton and Amendola is perfect for the slot. So I would see Pettis as our #4, at best. And we still have Alexander and Avery, who would be a pretty good 4 and 5 WRs themselves.

We might not get our WR this year, but we will eventually if we try hard enough. Then that will make this pick a waste. Just like the 2 TEs we drafted last year.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast