Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

For those saying that the Rams could have got Kendricks and Pettis in later rounds... Are you sure? Pettis might have had a fifth round grade from a scout but I'm pretty sure most scouts had Christian Ponder with a 2nd round grade, not a top 15 grade.

With the talk about Hankerson... I heard that the Rams staff didn't like him. I'm not sure why but they obviously have a reason.

Rammed is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

"NFL Draft day 2: Winners and Losers

Posterd by: Will Brinson

Winners:

Sam Bradford: The Rams went defense in the first round when Julio Jones and A.J. Green didn’t fall, but went out and got their franchise QB some nice weapons with great hands in TE Lance Kendricks and WR Austin Pettis. "

As I see it, we gave Bradford two reliable albeit non flashy solid targets.

Isn't that excately what we where lacking.

If you need refreshing of your memory the seasonfinale wasn't that long ago was it?
    Last edited by Rammed; -04-30-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Quote

BM_Face is offline Registered User

People giving Pettis pick an F!? Saying Boise St. only wins on blue turf!? Yeah, because the Blue Turf goes on road games to places like VT. Get out!! Absolute Bullcrap! There were exactly TWO #1 receivers in this draft, Green and Jones. So, tell me how we were EVER going to get either one of those guys? Since they were both gone, DeSpags found a good kid with unreal hands.

Pettis is a RED ZONE threat that this team needed badly. My favorite part of watching highlights of Pettis is seeing him catch the ball in every part of the endzone; over the cones, in the corner, going up on the backline. He can also haul them in over his shoulder.

How many times has one of our 'fast' "#1 receivers" dropped catchable balls? Pettis is Mr. Hands.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

BigGameTH is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BM_Face View Post
    Pettis is Mr. Hands.
    Exactly why I love this pick. If Bradford showed me one thing last year, it was that he can move the ball down field playing catch with a fat kid so long as that kid catches everything thrown to him. Specifically, I cannot get Fells' 3rd down drop in the red zone in the ***** loss out of my head. Where we struggled was the red zone, and both our 2nd and 3rd picks address that.

sjacksonrules is offline Registered User

Guys imagine if we had completed a few of those catchable balls. We would of been in the playoffs for sure. I hope this guy can catch. If he learns the playbook quicker than gilyard then mardy has some explaining to do.

Edit: I can't think of pettis without thinking he will be a sidney rice and vincent jackson type guy. Just catching touchdown after touchdown I think this guy will have double digit td's next year watch for it. Dreaming big but you have to when Sammy B is at Qb.
    Last edited by sjacksonrules; -04-30-2011 at 08:18 AM.

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

Looks to me like were going for someone who we can consistently rely on like a bigger Amendola in Pettis.
    We have definately helped our passing game drafting Kendricks and Pettis.
    Kendricks could be a sleeper pick, with Sam Bradford making him a stud.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    The bottom line here is that, in the absence of a deep crop of "No. 1 WRs," the Rams are finding pass cathers they believe will fit their system.
    Well said. After missing out on #1-type receivers in Green and Jones, the Rams went out and got someone whom they felt would improve their group as whole by being a reliable target with good hands. Those types of players are never bad to have, and certainly we can look back at any number of failed drives this season where we would have benefited from some more reliable weapons.

I'd like to imagine that, knowing they were likely going to miss out on the two top-tier receiving prospects, the Rams looked at the rest of the group, decided what they wanted in a receiver, and found the guy that best fit that description out of the remaining lot. Chances are he's not a #1, and I'm as disappointed as anyone that we're still waiting on that hole to be filled, but he's another weapon, a more reliable weapon, for this offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Still, an unsettling pick for me like everyone else. I wonder if they got pipped on some of those OGs and RBs that went just before they picked, a la Shonn Greene.
    I don't know about the Rams, but I was really disappointed when Will Rackley (OG, Lehigh) went two spots ahead of our pick. I liked him as a third round OL target for the hole at right guard.

Quote Originally Posted by punahou View Post
    exactly why we should mind--- this guy and our #2 pick could probably have been gotten in later rounds
    Maybe, maybe not. The beautiful thing about your criticism is that it can't be proven one way or the other. You're dealing in the hypothetical, which just isn't a particularly strong basis for complaint when it comes to the draft. For all we know, Washington could have taken Pettis right after us.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    With the talk about Hankerson... I heard that the Rams staff didn't like him. I'm not sure why but they obviously have a reason.
    What's arguably the biggest difference between Pettis and Hankerson? Hands.

The Rams ranked 8th in the league last year in passes dropped with 31. Hopefully Pettis helps bring that number down and puts this team near the bottom of that ranking.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Third round: Rams take Boise State WR Austin Pettis
    BY TOM TIMMERMANN | Posted: Friday, April 29, 2011 7:49 pm

The Rams chose Boise State receiver Austin Pettis with the 78th pick of the NFL draft.

Pettis is 6-3, 209 pounds and is Boise's all-time leading receiver in receptions and touchdown catches.

"He's a big receiver, a smart guy, who can play all three positions," Rams GM Billy Devaney said. "He gives us a lot of flexibility. He can play outside, play the slot. He has good hands."

"They used him a lot of different ways," said coach Steve Spagnuolo, who added that Pettis was very impressive when the team interviewed him. "Outside, inside, in three-wide receiver sets. He's tough in the red zone because he's a big target. Another thing that's attractive is that's a program where they know how to win. He was a two-year captain at a place like that, competing for national championships. We put some emphasis on that. He finds ways to get open and catch the football. He's real productive."

He had 72 catches for 951 yards as a senior. Devaney said Pettis could also be used on special teams; he blocked three punts in his career. He was the holder on the extra point and field goal units. He also completed five of his six pass attempts during his time at Boise. In his four years, he had 39 touchdown catches, something that Devaney said "caught their eye."

Pettis is the nephew of former major leaguer Gary Pettis.

"I'm glad it's over and I know where I'm going," Pettis said. "I know the Rams have a real good quarterback. I'm excited to try to catch passes from him."

He said that Boise State's complex offense will help him as he transitions to the NFL.

"Boise ran a pretty complicated offense, with a lot of different personnel," he said, "and going to the NFL, that's something a lot of players struggle with."

The draft resumes at 11 a.m. on Saturday morning. The Rams have the 15th pick in the fourth round, the 112th pick overall.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Pettis obviously has the ability to pick up an offense, something that a certain receiver we drafted last year struggled with. That may be an additional reason why he was selected over some other candidates

harrydog is offline Registered User

I'm not thrilled with the 2nd and 3rd round picks. It just seems to me that there were players of greater value on the board when these guys were selected. Obviously we need to improve at receiver but it almost seems as though we're reaching a bit with these picks just because it's an area of need. I'd be more okay with it if we had just gone for one or the other of these guys but to use both the 2nd and 3rd picks for them just doesn't seem wise to me.
    Having said that, I'm still very confident that we'll have an improved offense and I hope these two picks turn out to be Saffold-like.
    Last edited by harrydog; -04-30-2011 at 10:17 AM.

BM_Face is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    Pettis obviously has the ability to pick up an offense, something that a certain receiver we drafted last year struggled with. That may be an additional reason why he was selected over some other candidates
    Spags said that Pettis interviewed like a QB in respect to breaking down schemes. This is a smart kid with football in his blood; holder, backup punter, natural athlete. DeSpags also mentioned that Pettis had the highest grade on the Rams board at that time. Staying true to your board is a mantra for a reason. This year especially, a ton of hours (and $) went into setting up the board, so it would make even less sense than usual to go off the reservation.

I know eveyone is putting Pettis in the slot, but Spags went out of his way to mention that he can line up inside or outside in the three receiver set.
    A defeated look of consternation, dissappointment, or even pain. The name derives from the look one often gets when challenged by a large BM.

thatguy is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by md8 View Post
    We still need a #1 WR. Once we get one(by next year hopefully) this will turn into a wasted pick like Gilyard last year.
    Cause we all know it makes sense to call someone a wasted pick after one year...

bigtiger737 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by lordwhttgr View Post
    He plays against inferior teams as opposed to higher caliber teams like Oklahoma, Texas and Florida. In my opinion, Boise State relys on their blue turf to win most of their games. However, where there is room to improve, I see promise. Boise State has been staying in the lime light after their upset of Oklahoma and you don't do that without playing and teaching good football. This guy just might pan out. We will see.
    It sounds like you have a boise state bias .. lol they aern't the only team to do it.. and if st louis made there field blue and gold we would all be excited about it

jackson3909 is offline Registered User

I like this pick a lot. We get a taller, great hands, hard working receiver. Just because he wasn't a top 10 pick doesn't mean he won't be a # 1 receiver while it is less likely.. Greg Jennings wasn't a top 10 pick look at him now. Idk how so much hate can be on a kid who never stepped into rams park yet. While it looks we don't have a " true " # 1 receiver I expect denarino having a offseason to rehab his knees to come in compete for the #1 spot with Clayton who had one of the best starts for a rams receiver in the last 5 years. How many drops did we have last year? A pass catching is bradfords favorite target. So what if we took tight ends recently they were late round flyers.. Rams are having A- draft

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    As I look at a draft profile from 2006 on espn.com I am struck by how similar your complaints are to Brandon Marshalls conceived negatives coming out of college. Let me say that I dont expect to pettis to be Bradon marshall, but I do expect him to contribute and help this team. I disagree, first of all Gibson has below average hands while pettis is a true possesion receiver. Pettis also runs his routes in a much more crisp and precise manner then gibson. But I guess you already know all that since you watched boise state so closely the past 3 years.

I agree, I say we just ask Al Davis to run our drafts for us from now on. I bet if we ask real nice he will even let us have Darius Heyward Bey. That enough speed for you? Yes cause we all know that the receivers on Baltimore, New England, Green bay, and San Diego are all absolute burners.

Your analysis of these picks is irrelevant,
    Let me say that you are welcomed to your opinion, as am I. But let me remind you that your opinion isn't any more valuable than mine or anybody else's. So, with that said, let me reiterate my stance on our round 2 and 3 draft picks, I am flabbergasted. That's my opinion at this point, and no amount of sarcasm from you can change that.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -04-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast