throwback week

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise State

Ahmedrams81 is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

I don't like us addressing the Wr issue in the draft. We already have enough young talent, we need a veteran WR. Hate these last picks.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Re: With the 78th pick of the 2011 Draft, the Rams take Austin Pettis, WR, Boise Stat

I can't think of Pettis without thinking he will be a Sidney Rice and Vincent Jackson type guy. Just catching touchdown after touchdown. I think this guy will have double digit TD's next year; watch for it. Dreaming big but you have to when Sammy B is at QB.
    Good, optimistic view on our 3rd round pick, SJacksonrules. I share it even without knowing that much about this rookie (although that is great video material). I like this selection. Again, it brings my optimism up on the Rams offense plans with Bradford.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    You do realize that Kendricks is very fast for a TE, right?

As for speed at the WR position, assuming our current players (Avery, Alexander) are healthy, that's not really the problem.

I didn't think Pettis would be a third round choice, but then again, I've never been an NFL scout, GM or coach.

I guess you have.
    And I guess these people, by virtue of their positions are the only ones qualified to have an opinion on the subject? I don't think so.

I realize that Fendi Onobun is a very fast TE. So picking Kendricks in the 2nd round is still a questionable pick, so I am questioning it.

Same goes for Austin Pettis in the 3rd round and I am questioning his selection as well.

Is there a problem?

And since you asked, yes I have been a coach before, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on these picks.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-03-2011 at 02:51 AM.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fortuninerhater View Post
    And I guess these people, by virtue of their positions are the only ones qualified to have an opinion on the subject? I don't think so.
    No, it means that they are MORE qualified.

I realize that Fendi Onobun is a very fast TE. So picking Kendricks in the 2nd round is still a questionable pick, so I am questioning it.
    Fendi is pretty darn raw. Kendricks has a lot more experience.

Same goes for Austin Pettis in the 3rd round and I am questioning his selection as well.
    You can question all you want, but you might be better served to consider the reasoning behind the pick.

And since you asked, yes I have been a coach before, but that has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on these picks.
    You've been an NFL coach? I seriously doubt that (and, no, I'm not interested in whether you were the assistant defensive coordinator for some High School team).

[COLOR="red"]
    Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No, it means that they are MORE qualified[/COLOR].

[COLOR="red"]FORTUNINERHATER..........Still means squat to me. The best coaches, GMs and Scouts have made plenty of mistakes before, and that trend will continue as long as they are humans.
    [/COLOR]

Fendi is pretty darn raw. Kendricks has a lot more experience.

FORTUNINERHATER..............Kendricks hasn't played one down of NFL football in his life. Knows absolutely nothing about the Rams or how they go about their business. So I'll take Onobun's experience just for the simple fact that he's been around a year and has at least played in an NFL game.

You can question all you want, but you might be better served to consider the reasoning behind the pick.

FORTUNINERHATER..............I've considered the reasoning several times, but I still come to the same conclusion, questionable picks.

You've been an NFL coach? I seriously doubt that (and, no, I'm not interested in whether you were the assistant defensive coordinator for some High School team).
    Never said I was an NFL coach, nor was that your original question.

But regardless, as I stated before, my being a former coach on whatever level, has absolutely nothing to do with my opinion on these picks.
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-05-2011 at 02:06 AM. Reason: I have 3 responses that are inside Avenger's quotes

GROUND DOG 39 is offline Registered User

I think the Rams are making a point of drafting WR's that are smart, sure handed, productive college players. Opposed to faster players with a lot more question marks but higher upsides IF they pan out. I think they have played it safe considering the lockout and all. I think the recieving core had enough ??? as it was.
    The whole receiving core apart from the rookies just drafted have either mental issues regarding the playbook or are coming off major surgeries. These new players drafted may not have the huge No.1 upsides at WR but it doesnt mean to say they cant do a great job. Remember this McD offense doesnt need a true 1 or 2 receiver because the ball is spread about so much to keep the defense's guessing.

Quote Originally Posted by GROUND DOG 39 View Post
    I think the Rams are making a point of drafting WR's that are smart, sure handed, productive college players. Opposed to faster players with a lot more question marks but higher upsides IF they pan out. I think they have played it safe considering the lockout and all. I think the recieving core had enough ??? as it was.
    The whole receiving core apart from the rookies just drafted have either mental issues regarding the playbook or are coming off major surgeries. These new players drafted may not have the huge No.1 upsides at WR but it doesnt mean to say they cant do a great job. Remember this McD offense doesnt need a true 1 or 2 receiver because the ball is spread about so much to keep the defense's guessing.
    I understand all of what you're saying, but that is not why I'm questioning the picks. I am questioning them because in my eyes, we had (several) far greater needs to fill.

A better strategy in my opinion would have been to continue to develop current TEs, and sign, trade for, or draft a number one caliber WR. Since Jones and Green went early, my focus would've then shifted to signing a number one caliber receiver, or even one or two of those sure-handed, good route running receivers we supposedly got in Pettis and Salas, in free agency, whenever free agency happened.

Last resort would've been some sort of trade for a number one caliber WR if a golden opportunity presented itself, but honestly I think we would be better served to just stand pat with what we already have for one more year, and hope that all the injured WRs came back this year and made a huge impact if we can't sign a FA.

Had we had that mindset, perhaps we could've addressed what I believe to be far greater needs than a 2nd round TE.

We're still playing Russian-roulette at RB, with Jackson among the leaders in carries every year. The middle of the D-line is either old or simply in need of upgrading. Still need a starting OLB. Still need better interior linemen. All of these are far greater needs IMO, but what do I know?
    Last edited by Fortuninerhater; -05-07-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    RamDez likes this.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456