Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: With the 99th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnat

Quote Originally Posted by RockinRam View Post
    Can't complain with this pick.

I just don't know how he'll fit in here. Who would we kick out for a spot for him?
    The Rams probably don't carry more than six receivers, so he's probably competing with spot #4-6 with Burton, Foster, and Amendola. One of the four probably won't make it on the 2010 roster. My early bet would be Burton.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

rammiser is offline Registered User

Re: With the 99th pick in the NFL Draft, the Rams select Mardy Gilyard, WR, Cincinnat

Can't complain with this pick.

I just don't know how he'll fit in here. Who would we kick out for a spot for him?

He immediately replaces Amendola. I like Amendola but this guy will take all the return duties and that leaves Amendola odd man out.
    Just Fix It

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

Well....our offensive coaches have their work cut out for them. Same with Spagnuolo; his ability to train our existing defensive linemen this offseason is going to make or break his career this year.

itsguud is offline Registered User

I was bummed about us not getting a TE, but with so many picks in late rounds and a few TE's left I think we will be alright. This guy looks alright.

SavageRam is offline Registered User

His highlight film reminds me a little bit of Az Hakim - with his small size, quickness, and allusiveness. It's been a long time since the Rams have had a dangerous change-of-pace YAC weapon that can score from any place on the field.

RockinRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    Well....our offensive coaches have their work cut out for them. Same with Spagnuolo; his ability to train our existing defensive linemen this offseason is going to make or break his career this year.
    The thing is, when Spags was in NY, he had time to coach the defense because he was the coordinator.

Now, he is the head coach, and more than likely, he doesn't have time to coach much because of his duties as a head coach.

I think that is the case.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

I'm thrilled with this pick. This was easily my favorite player in the draft and for once the Rams drafted that guy. I'm a huge fan of Cincinnati football and watched him play for years. This is one of the hardest working guys in the draft. The guy went from sleeping in his car off campus to the best football player on a BSC bowl game school. Never mind they got killed in both their bowl games, that's not important....

Look up the video where he runs into the stands and the little kid starts crying. Mardy picks him up and hugs him. He does have some work do to on route running but I don't care. This pick made me love this draft. Thank you St. Louis

berg8309 is offline Registered User

A lot of people here talked about getting a route runner, and Gilyard looks like he's got that ability and then some. I know it's just sport science, but running the exact same route while blindfolded? down to the inch? Geez man, if he can do that in game situations, we may have just found our great route runner.

What I love about this draft so far is that we seem to have picked 4 guys who have a really good chance to be starters, and we've filled some big needs. Yea, we have other needs, but we couldn't fill every hole with every pick, and these guys look great.

I for one particularly love this pick.

Edit: I am also getting the sense from a couple of posters that yes the Rams filled some holes, but they filled the wrong holes. I think it is a case of not reaching for guys to try to fill holes, when there is a guy at the top of the board who fills a different hole.
    Last edited by berg8309; -04-24-2010 at 11:44 AM.

PeoriaRam is offline Registered User

The thing is, when Spags was in NY, he had time to coach the defense because he was the coordinator.

Now, he is the head coach, and more than likely, he doesn't have time to coach much because of his duties as a head coach.

I think that is the case.
    And that could be a problem, because we don't have a lot of natural talent out there.

Quote Originally Posted by berg8309 View Post
    A lot of people here talked about getting a route runner, and Gilyard looks like he's got that ability and then some. I know it's just sport science, but running the exact same route while blindfolded? down to the inch? Geez man, if he can do that in game situations, we may have just found our great route runner.

What I love about this draft so far is that we seem to have picked 4 guys who have a really good chance to be starters, and we've filled some big needs. Yea, we have other needs, but we couldn't fill every hole with every pick, and these guys look great.

I for one particularly love this pick.

Edit: I am also getting the sense from a couple of posters that yes the Rams filled some holes, but they filled the wrong holes. I think it is a case of not reaching for guys to try to fill holes, when there is a guy at the top of the board who fills a different hole.

Agreed. I think it's like "grabbing a valued player to fill a hole, instead of reaching slightly to grab a player to fill a bigger hole."

I can't complain with this pick.

Gilyard is a hard-working receiver, and has the skills to be a dynamic WR in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by PeoriaRam View Post
    And that could be a problem, because we don't have a lot of natural talent out there.
    Exactly.

A lot of people here talked about getting a route runner, and Gilyard looks like he's got that ability and then some.
    Uhh, Sports Science video aside, Gilyard is not considered a very good route runner. That's an area he's going to need some work in at the pro level.

What I love about this draft so far is that we seem to have picked 4 guys who have a really good chance to be starters
    Bradford, yes. Saffold, yes. Murphy, maybe. Gilyard, I doubt it. I like Mardy, I'm a Big East guy. But when I look ahead 2-3 seasons, I'd be surprised if he's in the starting line-up, unless you count as a return man.

That's a fair assessment. We have no idea how the Rams stacked their board. They're not going to fill a hole at TE or DE if the value isn't there for them.

berg8309 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Uhh, Sports Science video aside, Gilyard is not considered a very good route runner. That's an area he's going to need some work in at the pro level.
    Sports science video aside as well, I liked Gilyard going into the draft, and I thought his route running was fine. I will admit however that I didn't know as much about him as others, so I don't have a good opinion to base that on, but I never thought he was a poor route runner. Was just saying he looks like he has the potential to be one, but hey, what do I know. I still love the pick.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

He ran bubble screens and go routes at UC...not exactly the route tree.

Bernie on Rams' pick of Gilyard...

It was a heck of a pick; good value at the top of the 4th. And it also matched a need.

-B
    What I wrote today had NOTHING to do with this selection.

They made a couple of calls late in round 3, trying to move up to get Gilyard. If I had known that at the time, that certainly would have been reflected in my column.

He had the highest grade of the remaining players on their board. When they left the building last night they knew he'd be the guy.

I don't know how anyone could knock this pick considering it's a 4th rounder.

-B
    Notes on Gilyard Pick
    Posted: 24 Apr 2010 09:59 am
    * When the run on WRs started last night in the third round, the Rams made some calls and tried to move up to grab Gilyard; couldn't make it work.

* when they left the building last night they knew they'd be taking him.

* he had the highest grade ("substantially higher" according to Billy Devaney) among the players remaining on their board.

* they had him rated among their top five at the position.

* Spagnuolo told me that when he visited ND for the Clausen workout, he had a long talk with Brian Kelly about Gilyard and Kelly gave a big-time endorsement - raving about the kid's competitiveness and toughness.

* Rams figure to use him in the slot; Spags noted his ability to get yards inside after making the catch, which isn't easy to do. But at Cinn, Gilyard was a so-called "seam" receiver who did much of his best work inside, putting his elusiveness to work.

* His skill as a return man (mostly kickoffs) was appealing to the Rams.

* when the Rams called Gilyard, he was in his vehicle, on the way to go crabbing with his friends near his home in Florida (close to Jacksonville.) He seems to have a good personality; full of life. Told a funny story about how Nolan Cromwell called his house and spoke to his mother, but his Mom couldn't remember Cromwell's name and just knew he was with the Rams. So Gilyard was all out of sorts, not knowing why the Rams called or what he should do, who he should call back.

* the kid has overcome some tough things in his life but stuck with it. Flunked out of Cincinnati, lived out of his car for a while, and worked four jobs to survive until he could regain academic eligibility. That Gilyard persevered instead of quitting was a real plus in Spagnuolo's view; thinks it reflects well on the player's character.

* so why did he last until the 4th? Not tall, not needs to add some muscle/bulk, and isn't a blazer. But has what the scouts call "competitive speed." And he didn't have a great combine; maybe it was nerves but his hands betrayed him there.

Before the anti-Devaney people start foaming at the mouth, please keep in mind that I'm only relaying what was said out here at Rams Park; I am passing along their view of the pick.

-B
    So, you expected them to come up with a "No. 1" receiver in the fourth round?

Insanity.

There was probably only one true No.1 profile, skill wise, in this draft. Bryant.

The Ga Tech kid is close to it.

after that, they're pretty much clumped together in one group, all with various strengths and weaknesses. This was a good value pick for round 4, and it also makes their receiving group better until they can come up with a No. 1...

And as I wrote today -- that needs to be a priority.

But I can't slam this pick, because I like this kid and think he's a playmaker. To get him in the 4th is a positive.

-B

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast