Richbert88 is offline Registered User

Aaahhhh........effective Safety play.

Can someone enlighten me, I don't see as many RAM games as most. How have our Safety's looked compared to the one's I just saw in the SB? I know, Chavous blah blah blah....... Wilson was catching my eye, as was Rolle and Cromartie at CB.

Input?

Semper Fi!

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Re: Aaahhhh........effective Safety play.

Unfortunately one of the reasons our defense has been playing so poorly is because we don't have a safety like the two defenses in the Super Bowl had. Wilson and Polamalu have an amazing ability to be able to drop back in coverage and come up and lay the wood on a running back. I'm a huge advocate of bringing in an impact strong safety to pair with OJ. OJ has great ball skills that I like to compare to Baltimore's Ed Reed, but he isn't flawless, he struggles in run support, particularly tackling in the open field. He also tends to give up the big play way to frequently. I think OJ will strive if he had better players around him, ie a big middle linebacker and a fellow stud safety. I'm rooting for Taylor Mays out of USC, but he is staying in school for another year.

ManofGod is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by C-Mob 71 View Post
    Unfortunately one of the reasons our defense has been playing so poorly is because we don't have a safety like the two defenses in the Super Bowl had. Wilson and Polamalu have an amazing ability to be able to drop back in coverage and come up and lay the wood on a running back. I'm a huge advocate of bringing in an impact strong safety to pair with OJ. OJ has great ball skills that I like to compare to Baltimore's Ed Reed, but he isn't flawless, he struggles in run support, particularly tackling in the open field. He also tends to give up the big play way to frequently. I think OJ will strive if he had better players around him, ie a big middle linebacker and a fellow stud safety. I'm rooting for Taylor Mays out of USC, but he is staying in school for another year.
    Very well said, I can't agree more, I was heartbroke when I found out that Mays was staying in school, but there are a few prospects in the draft that are attractive.

Guam rammer is offline Registered User

Aaah, did you see Polumonu bite on those two open field shots he had on potential dead duck Arizona RB's? He really bit badly and kinda made everyone in the room laugh. Looked like he had some holes and flaws in his game too. Just goes goes ta show that nobody's perfect in this league.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

thing with safetys is that as they are the last line of defense, they get blamed a lot if something goes wrong

its often overlooked if a linebacker misses a tackle if the safety then misses a tackle after, as its the safties miss that led to the TD, even though the linebacker screwed up too

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Aaah, did you see Polumonu bite on those two open field shots he had on potential dead duck Arizona RB's? He really bit badly and kinda made everyone in the room laugh. Looked like he had some holes and flaws in his game too. Just goes goes ta show that nobody's perfect in this league.
    Nothing surprising here, as myself, and others, have stated this time and time again ...

Any defensive player in open field space one-on-one with a running back or wide receiver is at a severe disadvantage. It's a simple concept, just think about it ...

Ramblin` Ram is offline Registered User

I'm rooting for Taylor Mays out of USC, but he is staying in school for another year.
    so we get Curry this year and Mays next year..works out fine with me!:

C-Mob 71 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Guam rammer View Post
    Yeah he definitely did not have his best game Sunday, but then again I saw him covering Fitz an awful lot that first half. He really blew that Fitz touchdown, he was forty yards off the ball, you can't bite on Urban when Fitz is heading for the middle, inexcusable. If the Steelers would have lost everyone would be talking about that slip up for a long time. Very sub par game imho of the flying Hawaiian, but the Rams still don't have a strong safety that could play as well as Troy did.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

What I wouldn't give to see Nolan Cromwell and Johnnie Johnson roaming around out there again...

KoaKoi is offline Registered User

to me, the difference in strong safety looked night and day. unfortunately, i had to watch the game without tivo, so i wasn't able to drive my wife mad with watching assignments and such. so i don't really recall enough to comment on the FS work.

jmk321 is offline Registered User

We need a player like Troy Polamalu or Ray Lewis. They're not only great players but they play with such passion and intensity and set the tone for the team. If you have a player like that on your defense then it makes you want to be a better defender.