Thread: Aaron Walker

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Aaron Walker

As marginal as things have looked this preseason, Aaron Walker has been a rock solid performer who seems to be flying completely under the radar in the midst of mostly lackluster Ram performances.

He's come through in every opportunity, shown an innate ability to find the seams and get open, make the catches, then get upfield for big gains. In addition to his blocking skills as a TE, he looks like he could be a valuable weapon in Linehan's offense.

He'd be my number one TE come opening day.

Rams4life1 is offline Registered User

Re: Aaron Walker

I agree. And what about Collins? He and Walker are the only TE's to make any plays. I really don't see the Rams cutting Collins either. I believe they will carry 4 TE's.

stlramman is offline Registered User

I agree 100% Walker has been a pleasant surprise and would be my #1 TE also,do you think they will keep 4 TE? Klop & Byrd are assured a roster spot you would think with where they were drafted, so Collins may be the odd man out.

RealRam is offline Registered User

TEs Klop, Walker/Collins, Collins/Walker. Just wondering aloud. :r

I really like this setup, despite acknowledging that Klopfestein is not proven. Not sure how hard it is to have Byrd fly away?...

Quote Originally Posted by stlramman View Post
    I agree 100% Walker has been a pleasant surprise and would be my #1 TE also,do you think they will keep 4 TE? Klop & Byrd are assured a roster spot you would think with where they were drafted, so Collins may be the odd man out.
    If Linehan is going to use a lot of two TE sets and make them a key part of the offense, I don't think keeping four TE's is out of the realm of possibility. It will be interesting to see how the roster spots balance out with other positions, most notably running back still having the final number of slots in question.

general counsel is offline Registered User

i would rather keep two fullbacks than four tight ends. i dont see how we have the roster spots available to do both.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Quote Originally Posted by general counsel View Post
    i would rather keep two fullbacks than four tight ends. i dont see how we have the roster spots available to do both.

ramming speed to all

general counsel
    FB, RB, TE, Linehan and Co. have some tough decisions to make.

general counsel is offline Registered User

I agree mike, but to successfully run the ball, you need a fullback. I dont believe you can take a tight end and just stick him in the backfield and make him a fullback. Thus, i dont see how we can risk not carrying a second fullback, especially given that smith isnt 100% now.

Another interesting roster question is the 4th rb (ie russell) vs the second fb (hedgecock) which is complicated by the fact that madison is hurt.

If hedgecock is close to healthy, i dont see cutting him. He is young, makes no money and contributes on special teams. Had a good rookie year and will improve. I think he is a far better player than collins, and from a positional balance standpoint, i think the second fullback is worth more to the team than a 4th running back or 4th tight end.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

bigredman is offline Registered User

No way we keep 4 tight ends. Hopefully we can trade for some value a couple of these guys, unfortunately, teams are probably going to wait until we cut them and get them without compensating the Rams. To keep all of them on the roster after final cut to force a trade is risky business.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

If hedgecock is close to healthy, i dont see cutting him.
    And if he's not healthy, IR him. After watching Smith play with his eyes shut in KC, I'm not all that excited about cutting ties with the Hedge just yet.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

LMU93 is offline Registered User

I can see possibly carrying four TEs to start the year- at least until Hedgecock is back. Question for me is, how has Collins done on special teams? One TD catch on blown coverage doesn't earn him a roster spot. Camp reports haven't exactly glowed about him.

The question of 6 WRs vs. 4 TEs comes down to which final player would help the most on special teams.

Walker is the best blocking TE right now and has shown to be able to catch the ball well. Linehan is going to use 2-TEs a heck of a lot more than he'll use 4-WRs, so while it's unlikely 4 TEs is possible. At least during September while Hedgecock is still out.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

He'd be my number one TE come opening day.
    I have a feeling that the TE's will be rotated on a situational basis.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68 View Post
    I have a feeling that the TE's will be rotated on a situational basis.
    Considering Walker has shown to be the most proficient blocker with great hands and an ability to get downfield, he'd be heavy in my rotation. We'll see. I just love what the guy has shown so far.

FL4RAMS is offline Registered User

Walker (A-Walk) has been pretty impressive during camp and the pre-season, a couple of really nice catches down field. If given the chance he could be a big playmaker for us this year. :r