hawaiianpunch is offline Registered User

Action Jackson on the path?

Im making this thread because of some comments about Jackson I have seen on youtube, on some nfl blogs. Although it doesn't matter to me what they think, i think Steven Jackson has the running skill and quality, to be a pro bowler and possible a Hall of Famer.

But im a little concerned, is this going to a repeat story of Eric Dickerson. A pounding back with similar size, similar speed, similar running style who is not considered in some of the great running backs of all time. I consider him, but i think he is also under appreciated, just like Jackson.

When i look at Dickerson's running style, his story, i see Steven Jackson's story taking the same course that Dickerson's career took. And it kind of scares me cause Dickerson never got a ring.

Is Jackson headed down this same path? Or am i being over dramatic, just wanna know what you guys think?

I am optimistic of this season, and the next. And i think maybe these years will be the years, Jackson and the Ram Squad changes thier stars. I love this team and everything it is, as usual i always try to look for the best in my boys.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -08-31-2009 at 10:44 PM.

01d 0rd3r is offline Registered User

Re: Action Jackson on the path?

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiianpunch View Post
    Im making this thread because of some comments about Jackson I have seen on youtube,
    thats most likely not the best place to look for a logical argument against sjax

Azul e Oro is offline Registered User

Not that I really needed the confirmation but the first couple of top ten lists a search for the best NFL RBs turned up had ED on them. I'm sure there were more and some that didn't include him but I think he's pretty highly-regarded.

Rings obviously make a player's career stand out more but it isn't the only thing for which they are remembered.
    I'm sure SJ has PB talent but whether he makes it or not depends on the team and his health, doesn't it? Even then, it's not a given,considering how political the PB system is.

Double ditto for The HOF.

All I can say is that the likelihood that he is in the right place at the right time to achieve that level of recognition just got a lot greater.
    Last edited by Azul e Oro; -08-31-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Azul e Oro View Post
    Not that I really needed the confirmation but the first couple of top ten lists a search for the best NFL RBs turned up had ED on them. I'm sure there were more and some that didn't include him but I think he's pretty highly-regarded.
    I would tend to agree. If you were going to talk about the best backs in the modern history of the game, his name would usually at least come up in the conversation.

As for Jackson, I don't think it would take a ring for him to gain the recognition he deserves, but we haven't even had a winning season in the time he has been here. I think Jackson definitely has it in him to land a Pro Bowl spot this year, but we've got to at least start making some playoff appearances if he's going to develop the kind of reputation that gets a guy into the Hall of Fame.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Dickerson is always mentioned when the best RBs of all time are discussed.

I'm not sure who you've been listening to, but anybody who doesn't put ED in the top ten doesn't know jack about football.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    but we've got to at least start making some playoff appearances if he's going to develop the kind of reputation that gets a guy into the Hall of Fame.
    How about just getting through an entire season without missing time due to injury?

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

No offense, but what are you talking about?

Dickerson is in the Hall of Fame. He is routinely listed as one of the top pure runners the game has ever seen. He holds one of the most storied records in the NFL (yards rushing, season).

We can only hope that Steven Jackson follows a similar path. Jackson certainly has the tools to be an elite RB but, as many fans have noted, has only had one full season in which he's really showed what he is capable of doing.

oops i forgot to mention i was talking about repeating the trend of not getting a ring.
    Last edited by hawaiianpunch; -09-01-2009 at 11:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    No offense, but what are you talking about?
    First of all no offense taken.

I watched 7 different video's on youtube, this week about the top 10 running backs of all time. He wasn't on any of the video's i have been watching this week, and I just wondered why?

Maybe it was pure bad luck that I got these video's. But not once when i watched these Video's was he mentioned. I just calling it as I saw it. Maybe these highlight video's were made by kids maybe Im searching in all the wrong places.

Also i don't think i was clear enough when i was comparing it to Eric getting a ring. I should have been more frank about that. About Steven following that path that he had without a ring, and maybe bouncing to another team after a while.

Of course now that Georgia Frontere is gone, we might not have to worry about holding out on Steven Jackson like they did to Dickerson way back.

I do apologize for the question, i thought it would be a good topic. Next time ill be more careful when trying to post something.

Quote Originally Posted by 01d 0rd3r View Post
    thats most likely not the best place to look for a logical argument against sjax
    I also saw some rams fans talk crap about Jackson in Rams Gab, nfl.com, st.louisramsx.com over the years, saying he's not as good as Marshall faulk, and that he is full of himself. I personally don't think hes full of himself, Ochocincrap is full of himself.

Its just bad strokes of luck maybe ive been having, looking in all the wrong places. Why do you think i like bloggin here?

MauiRam is online now Pro Bowl Ram

Four "ifs"

1) If .. Steven can stay healthy for a full season ..

2) If .. our revamped O-line finally gells and can run block consistently ..

3) If .. our offense can generate a bonafide passing attack .. be it dink and dunk or whatever, just so long as it is effective enough to keep opposing Ds honest.

4) If .. our defense can keep us in games and prevent opponents from running up the score.

Then Jackson will have the opportunity to flourish and then some. In the 4th quarter with the game is close, when opposing defenses are tiring, Steven Jackson running with a full head of steam will be exactly what they don't want to see coming at them ..

It's a bit early to be comparing Steven J. to former greats and halll of famers, especially after the last 2 years. I am hoping for respectability first, then maybe a winning record next.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Steven Jackson has the ability to carry the team on his own.

I think that says alot....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!

RebelYell is offline Registered User

I think you need to rewrite your original premise. You talk about Dickerson not being ranked as a top 10 RB and then compare him to Jackson and how people rag on him and then it's about rings. I have no idea what this is about. I agree with Avenger, Dickerson is a top 10 RB but it seems like you don't care about that point anymore.

The Rams are in rebuilding mode and will be a completely different team in 2010. It's silly to project now how they will play then because we don't know who will be on the team around him.

Jackson is a premier running back right now. How he'll be in 8 games is a complete mystery let alone next season. I'm 100% confident he will give 100% of himself to the game. He's shown he's willing to do whatever it takes to be great.