RamWraith is offline Registered User

Adeyanju Adding Versatility

Wednesday, August 15, 2007

By Nick Wagoner
    Senior Writer

Even as a raw, fourth round project out of Indiana, Victor Adeyanju found himself as a starter at defensive end for the Rams just three games into his rookie season.

Adeyanju performed admirably for someone with no previous experience before an arm injury slowed his progress.

While Adeyanju showed an ability to excel against the run in defensive coordinator Jim Haslett’s defense, he struggled to find consistency as a pass rusher. With that in mind, the Rams went scouring the market in search of a bookend to Leonard Little capable of getting to the quarterback.

The Rams found that player in the form of James Hall, cutting a deal with Detroit on the day before free agency. Now, Adeyanju remains in the mix at end, but is working at defensive tackle in an effort to make himself more versatile.

“We are just adding some versatility to him,” coach Scott Linehan said. “He has the size to do it. I think it enhances his ability to rush the passer from inside versus outside. It gives him a chance to do something that, if we got into a situation where we needed him in there for some reason due to injury , we could find a place for him not just on first or second down, but even on third down.”

Adeyanju says he has never really played much at tackle, but is more than willing to learn the ins and outs of playing inside.

“It’s going relatively well,” Adeyanju said. “I have done maybe a little bit in college, but not very often. They feel I might have a better impact inside. I am definitely up for the challenge and we’ll just see what happens.”

Make no mistake, Adeyanju is still an end first and foremost, but the Rams likely will experiment with him at tackle in the preseason in hopes that he can be ready to contribute if called upon in the regular season.

Adeyanju isn’t used to being so close to the ball and having so many blockers on him, but he’s warming to the idea.

“It’s a little bit different atmosphere with guys all around you so you have to prepare to read the schemes a little quicker,” Adeyanju said. “That makes you a lot more valuable so playing two positions will help. I like the end, but inside is starting to cling to me a little bit.”

Meanwhile, Adeyanju is doing everything he can to refine his game at his true position, end. He has spent time working to become a better pass rusher. It remains to be seen if his work on some of the nuances of the position will pay off, but Adeyanju is going to factor into the defensive line rotation one way or another.

“It’s coming along well,” Adeyanju said. “I just have to read a couple of keys. The thing I did was I talked to my coach and tried to switch up my stance a little bit. I was obviously too tight on a lot of plays and I just try to react a little bit better.”

NO MORE TWOS: The official last day of training camp is Friday for the Rams, but Wednesday marked an important milestone for the players trying to fight through the grind of camp.

When the Wednesday evening workout ends, it will be the last two a day practice for the team in the 2007 training camp.

Linehan said he has been happy with how his players are responding to the heat and to camp in general.

“This is our last two-a-day during camp,” Linehan said. “So we are getting five practices in here during the last three days. Getting a lot of running in, working the heat. I think we have really worked that part of our camp. We are putting a lot less in right now, trying to work a lot more and work at a higher tempo so we can condition our bodies and get ourselves ready for game two of preseason and eventually game one of the regular season.”

RAM BITS: Defensive tackle La’Roi Glover returned to practice after taking an injection Wednesday morning…reports from San Diego indicate running back LaDainian Tomlinson and defensive tackle Jamal Williams will not play in Saturday evening’s preseason game…the Rams added receiver Rasheed Marshall to the roster Tuesday afternoon and released tight end Steve Buches…tackle Alex Barron is two practices away from making it through camp with nary a false start in a team drill…there are plenty of tickets remaining for the preseason game against San Diego. If the game does not sell out, it will be blacked out locally...Thursday's practice has been moved to 2:30 p.m. and will be open to the public.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Adeyanju Adding Versatility

Got to love the depth on the d-line.

The Chargers @ Rams game will be televised here in Massachusetts. 8pm est.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Re: Adeyanju Adding Versatility

If it helps Adeyanju read the defense quicker all the better, but I'd rather hear that he was really coming along with his pass rush moves than that he could possibly fill in as a DT.