r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Adeyanju Waits For His Chance

Adeyanju waits for his chance
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/18/2009

Perhaps the most surprising Rams personnel move in the season opener against Seattle was a player who didn't suit up. Victor Adeyanju, a fourth-year defensive end from Indiana, was among the team's seven pregame inactives.

Adeyanju was so thrown off by being de-activated, he said he couldn't sleep Sunday night after the team returned to St. Louis. So to say he was surprised by the move would be an understatement.

"Yeah," Adeyanju said, breaking into his trademark hearty laugh. "But you've got to believe in anything that's good for the team. If they felt that would help us win, so be it. ...You've got to believe in the coaches and trust them. If they need me out there, they'll have me out there."

Adeyanju is coming off a 2008 season in which he started nine games and led all Rams defensive linemen in tackles with 73. Not known for his pass-rushing skills, he recorded two sacks and eight quarterback pressures.

But Adeyanju seemed to have improved as a pass rusher this preseason, sharing the team lead with two sacks in exhibition play.

"I thought I was productive," Adeyanju said.

But with 10 defensive linemen on the active roster for the regular season, coach Steve Spagnuolo is swimming in options on that unit. He decided to dress Leonard Little, Chris Long, James Hall and C. J. Ah You at end against the Seattle. It was Ah You who was the 12th man on the field on the ill-fated blocked field-goal play.

Following Thursday's practice, Spagnuolo wouldn't commit to dressing Adeyanju this Sunday against Washington.

"We're still tossing that one around," Spagnuolo said. "I love Victor. He came up to me and said, 'Coach, what can I do? Do you need me to do anything?' He's a team player."

Spagnuolo indicated that Ah You's presence on the Seattle game day roster wasn't necessarily the reason for Adeyanju's presence on the inactive list.

"Special teams can play into that whole thing, and I know Victor understands that," Spagnuolo said. "We activated (linebacker) Larry Grant there at the last minute. We didn't think he was going to be able to go, and we just made a conscious decision to go that way."

Adeyanju added: "I know it's a tough decision; that's why I'm glad I don't have to make those types of decisions. I was ready to go, but it just didn't happen."

FOSTER CARE

Nearly a month removed from season-ending left ankle surgery, wide receiver Brooks Foster is doing treadmill work to stretch out the muscles around the injury. The fifth-round draft pick from North Carolina suffered the injury on the Rams' final offensive play in their preseason opener against the New York Jets.

"I was blocking," Foster recalled. "The running back (Chris Ogbonnaya) got tackled up on my ankle and rolled it up from behind. I had torn ligaments, and it needed some help to grow back faster, so they put a screw in it."

With plenty of openings at one point on the depth chart at wide receiver, Foster had high hopes entering training camp.

"Definitely I did," he said. "But I take it for what it is. I feel like things happen for a reason, so the best thing I can do is just have a positive attitude and try to get better."

RAM-BLINGS

DT Leger Douzable (pronounced Luh-JEY DOOZE-uh-bull), who spent Week 1 on the New York Giants' active roster, was signed to the Rams practice squad. LB K.C. Asiodu was released from the practice squad. ... Thursday's injury report included only G John Greco (wrist, did not participate) and S Craig Dahl (hamstring, limited participation).

Mooselini is offline Registered User

Re: Adeyanju Waits For His Chance

I really hope Adeyanju plays this weekend. I'm shocked Ah You made the team...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Devaney, if you care about this team... fire the offensive coordinator!!!!