RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Aeneas Williams weighing his options

A. Williams weighing his options
    By Jim Thomas
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    09/13/2005

Where's Aeneas: Never has a probable Hall of Famer left a team, and the game, as quietly as defensive back Aeneas Williams did after the 2004 Rams season. Williams, 37, was an unrestricted free agent following his injury-plagued campaign.

The Rams showed no interest in re-signing him. However, Williams has made no retirement announcement, and according to his agent, Eugene Parker, hasn't ruled out returning to the NFL.

"I think he's keeping his options open, maybe for the right situation," Parker said Tuesday.

And if the right situation came along?

"I think he would consider (playing)," Parker said. "He's in shape. He's just taking his time and keeping his options open. ... He's not quick to make decisions. He's pretty thoughtful."

Williams, an eight-time Pro Bowler, spent the past four seasons with the Rams after playing 10 years for the Arizona Cardinals.

RamsFan16

ZigZagRam is offline Registered User

Re: Aeneas Williams weighing his options

I can't think of a more perfect situation than to fill in at the starting FS position for the Rams.

How about on last hoorah where we only play him in passing situations. I've seen enough of Hawthorne.

This young secondary needs a leader.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Personally, I think we're past the point of adding players to be starters on our team.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Three
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RamsFan16 is offline Registered User

Weren't we close to getting Donovan Darious this offseason?
    RamsFan16

There was a rumor we were interested, but I don't know how much weight was behind it, or if we were even close or had discussions at all.

Personally, I think we're past the point of adding players to be starters on our team.
    Not sure why you'd think that. Adding Aeneas wouldn't be like adding a totally new free agent. He already knows the defense and is skilled enough mentally to be able to pick up any changes in a snap.

We were adding FS's through midseason last year. Kwamie Lassiter and Antuan Edwards all started games despite not being with the team the first 4 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by ZigZagRam
    Not sure why you'd think that. Adding Aeneas wouldn't be like adding a totally new free agent. He already knows the defense and is skilled enough mentally to be able to pick up any changes in a snap.
    Yet if I remember correctly, he showed a dropoff in play last season, and had some injury problems. I can't think of Aeneas Williams' 2004 campaign without thinking of that touchdown he gave up to the Saints. While he probably would be familiar with Marmie's general scheme, he hasn't worked with new secondary coach Kurt Schottenheimer. This may be an easier transition than other free agents, but I'm not convinced he could just come in this week and start for us. What skills he has mentally for the game would probably be hindered by his physical ability. I would imagine there's probably a reason that a number of teams have overlooked Williams during the entire offseason and haven't brought him in. His play in 2004 wasn't impressive, and now he's a year older and has been out of football for 6-7 months.

Besides, who do you cut to add yet another defensive back? If the Rams were interested in carrying an additional safety, I would think they would have found a way to keep Michael Stone.

We were adding FS's through midseason last year. Kwamie Lassiter and Antuan Edwards all started games despite not being with the team the first 4 weeks.
    And how did they work out for us? Not very well, I'd say.

Yet if I remember correctly, he showed a dropoff in play last season, and had some injury problems.
    He showed a dropoff in play because of the injury problems.

Besides, who do you cut to add yet another defensive back?
    Aveion Cason would be my choice. He's on this team to be a returner but with Chris Johnson and Terry Fair here, it seems like a waste of a roster spot. Terry Fair could be another option.

And how did they work out for us? Not very well, I'd say.
    And the current solution is looking peachy to you I suppose?
    Last edited by ZigZagRam; -09-14-2005 at 03:58 PM.

He showed a dropoff in play because of the injury problems.
    I don't believe you can conclusively say his dropoff was solely because of injury.

And the current solution is looking peachy to you I suppose?
    I think it's a bit of a snap judgement to conclude after one game that our current situation at FS is so poor that we're going to go out and sign a guy who hasn't officially made up his mind as to if he even wants to play at all this year. Signing FS options in the regular season hasn't worked in the past. Any problems with our current situation shouldn't change that to where somehow it's going to work now.

STLRAMSFAN Guest

I like some of our young DB's but I have to go with Zig I don’t see any loss in dropping Cason bringing in AW and seeing if he can play. If not we say thanks for the try I will see you later.