View Poll Results: Are the Rams better off than they were one year ago today?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, the Rams are better off.

76 83.52%
  • No, the Rams are worse off.

6 6.59%
  • No difference.

9 9.89%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: After 1 year of Spags/Devaney...

It depends how you rate this. Talent-wise i guess the team is worse than it was a year ago. But the team also has a much more promising future, so we are better off.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Because there is so much rebuilding going on for our RAMS I think you have to ignore the won/loss record for year one. Spags/Devaney had a good draft and have changed the attitude and environment of our team. The effort was there because the players bought into the direction Spags/Devaney have this franchise going.

Better days are coming!

Trevor is offline Registered User

No... We were better off with Linehan and co.............

FestusRam is offline Registered User

I answered that we are better off. It's obvious we don't have as many proven veterans but, with them comes less cap space. We have trimmed all the fat and now are in a position to rebuild.

Also, I believe last years draft was the most successful in the past few years and i'm looking forward to this upcoming one. I think Devaney and Spags got us going in the right direction.

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Purely in terms of wins vs losses, the answer is no. However, given the purging of the roster, the plethora of injuries, and steady infusion of street free agents on a seemingly weekly basis, winning alot of games was simply not possible. Spags had the team playing hard all the way to the wire - the team showed fight and spirit consistently even though they were overmatched talent wise. Can't say the same under Linny's watch. This year's free agency and draft will go a long way in establishing how much better off or not our team is.

Av - it would be interesting to ask this question again right before our first regular season game ..

GreatestShow99 is offline Registered User

No, the Rams are worse off. I haven't seen any improvement from them.

TheRammer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    No difference. Maybe worse. There is no talent on this team at the skill positions other than Jackson. Yesterday showed that a good offense will beat a good defense more than they will lose to one. It's the way of the new NFL. These guys better get some players at WR, QB, TE and RB (yes, it takes more than one in the NFL these days) or the Rams won't win more than 2 games next year. If that.

I agree with this but i'm not sure that our management is heading this way...think we will at best be like the Jets run their organization... hopefully spags and devaney will get some power FA and good draft picks in the next 2 years for the offense side of the ball and maintain our defense with a couple of aqusitions...

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

I say we are better off than we were a year ago at this time because I believe we've finally hit rock bottom. Once you reach the bottom, there's is no where to go but up.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

think we will at best be like the Jets run their organization
    I should certainly hope so......playing for the conference championship sounds pretty good right about now.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

There are a number of things that are better (attitude, overall effort, culture change, last year's top picks) and some things that still are major areas of concern (no playmakers, QB issues, questionable playcalling, won/loss record, continued injury issues, lack of talent and depth). It cannot be overstated regarding how critical this off-season is in terms of acquisitions and the draft. It will either put us on the fast track towards improvement or set us back considerably.

Year two is where a more accurate and honest assessment can be made of the job Spags and Devaney are doing- and of the direction our franchise is headed.

txramsfan is offline Registered User

I'm not sure we can say anything is better other than we have football people in place to make decisions.

However, we have a very inexperienced coaching staff.....1 talented player at the skill positions,......and a defense that can't still stop the run......an offense that can't score.......other than that....yea.

macrammer is offline Registered User

This past season, we avoided an 0-16 record due to a fake punt.

While it would appear the attitude is improved, we had a better draft, this team is sorely lacking in so many areas. I do not think Spags will ever be a dynamo on the offensive side of ball. The original question posed here, are we better off, is akin to "Is foreclosure better then a short sale?"

Spags is the captain of the titanic after it hit the iceberg. He is doing his best to try to keep organization from sinking but wow, what a mess. I do think we have hit rock bottom and hope for a few more wins next year. Let's see how the draft and FA go.

Committed ownership (sell the team Chip) will allow for even more flexibility and give the coach and GM the tools necessary to get this ship turned around.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan View Post
    I'm not sure we can say anything is better other than we have football people in place to make decisions.

However, we have a very inexperienced coaching staff.....1 talented player at the skill positions,......and a defense that can't still stop the run......an offense that can't score.......other than that....yea.
    That's all true, but 12 months ago, the Rams were cash-strapped and still needed, in addition to the current needs, to fill the key positions of LT and MLB.

There also, believe it or not, has been improvement in certain areas. For example, you mention the run defense. In fact, the Rams yards per carry allowed went DOWN by one-half yard from 2008 to 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    That's all true, but 12 months ago, the Rams were cash-strapped and still needed, in addition to the current needs, to fill the key positions of LT and MLB.
    As well as Center.

There also, believe it or not, has been improvement in certain areas. For example, you mention the run defense. In fact, the Rams yards per carry allowed went DOWN by one-half yard from 2008 to 2009.
    Hold the phone......did you just try to persuade tx with......(gasp)......stats?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

It's really pretty simple for me. The team 12 months ago only had a past. The team now only has a future.

I'll take future over the past.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast