RamWraith is offline Registered User

After dinner and a movie, Georgia had her new coach for the Rams

This almost made me puke. This was ran in a California Newspaper. Dispatch didn't touch it.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercu...s/13682561.htm

BY BERNIE MIKLASZ
    St. Louis Post-Dispatch

ST. LOUIS - It was `round midnight Wednesday when Scott Linehan entered Georgia Frontiere's office at her home in Sedona, Ariz.

As the Rams' search for a head coach intensified, team president John Shaw formally offered a pro-Linehan recommendation to Frontiere, but the Rams' owner had to approve.

Contrary to some Internet reports that surfaced Wednesday afternoon, no final decision had been made to hire Linehan. In fact, the Rams had Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera on standby, waiting in the wings. If Frontiere didn't like Linehan, then Rivera would travel to Sedona on Thursday to meet with the owner.

The evening got off to a pleasant start. Frontiere, Linehan, Shaw, director of football operations Jay Zygmunt and Frontiere's beau, Earle Weatherwax, dined on steak, salmon and pasta. Then the gang moved into Frontiere's home theater to watch the movie "Miracle," the story of the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team.

Interestingly, Linehan was carrying a DVD copy of the film and suggested a showing. After the movie, Frontiere and Linehan excused themselves and went to the second-floor home office for the key interview.

An hour later, the door to the small elevator opened on the first floor.

Frontiere, never lacking a sense of the dramatic, or the theatrical touch, stepped out first.

"Gentlemen," she said, looking at Shaw and the others, "I'd like you to meet our new head coach."

And with that, the smiling Linehan walked into the room.

What did Frontiere see in Linehan?

"It's like picking a star for a movie," Frontiere said, in a rare interview. "You want the right person. My first impression was that he was youthful and upbeat and had great energy. He's just a down-to-earth person, very genuine. He's warm and friendly, but not to the point where it makes you think he's selling something. He told me of his plans for the Rams, and it made me want to get the season started right away.

"Could we have picked a better young coach, someone with the promise that this man has? I don't believe so. He's very impressive. And we hit it off right away."

Frontiere has owned the Rams since 1979, and in her time as owner, the franchise has qualified for the playoffs 14 times, won 13 postseason games, and competed in three Super Bowls, winning one.

Frontiere was disheartened by the turmoil of the 6-10 season and the dissension between former coach Mike Martz and the team's executives. After health problems prompted Martz to take a leave of absence, putting his coaching future in doubt, he said Frontiere told him that he'd be her coach as long as she owned the Rams.

Frontiere said she merely told Martz that she hoped he'd always be her coach. "Because I've always been upbeat, and I want to believe in happy endings," she said. "I wanted Mike to make it."

Martz's Jan. 2 firing, "made me so sad," Frontiere said. "It was upsetting, because I liked him very much_and I still do. We had a great run with Mike, and I'm disappointed it didn't last. But that's life. You take the good with the bad, and you start all over again.

"We've been able to win for the fans in St. Louis, and I feel bad that we let them down this season. The fans believe in us. They count on us. And all of what happened brought them down. It brought us all down. It was a difficult experience.

"But now we have a new beginning, with a new coach. And we have to do everything we can to help him win."

But as she spoke about her hopes for the future, Frontiere paused to reflect on the death of Jack Snow, a former Rams wide receiver and team broadcaster. Snow died Jan. 9 from complications of a staph infection.

"I'm heartbroken," said Frontiere, who wrote a poem that was read to mourners at Snow's memorial service. "He was a true Ram, through and through, and a dear friend. I will always miss him."

Frontiere praised Shaw and Zygmunt for their recommendation of Linehan. Asked how she sees her role, Frontiere said: "I try to help John and Jay and others achieve success, and that's what makes me happy. I hope I've been a catalyst. I'm not looking for attention. I don't need to say, `I'm the boss.' No one can do it alone. We need teamwork."

Frontiere, 78, is in solid health after recovering from a nasty fall last year. I told her that Rams fans often wonder how long she'll keep the team, and if she plans to sell the Rams to ownership partner Stan Kroenke.

Frontiere said she has no plans to sell the Rams for two reasons. First, she still enjoys being the owner. And she also feels obligated to her late husband, Carroll Rosenbloom, who died in 1979, leaving control of the Rams to his widow.

"Carroll trusted me," she said. "He left me the team because he knew I'd never give up. And he told me to never give up. So I'm going to stick in there.

"It's been a nice trip, but it's never enough. You can't wait for the next day, the next adventure. I'm young enough in mind and spirit to realize that things change, and you have to evolve and change with it."

The Rams have changed again. They have a new, 42-year-old coach. But understand this: Linehan wasn't the coach until he passed the interview test with Frontiere. Linehan wasn't the coach until she stepped off the elevator and made the grand announcement.

"Whether he'll be successful, time will tell," Frontiere said. "But his optimism is wonderful. And I feel really good about the future."

UtterBlitz is offline Registered User

Re: After dinner and a movie, Georgia had her new coach for the Rams

Quote Originally Posted by Georgia
    "It's like picking a star for a movie," Frontiere said, in a rare interview. "You want the right person. My first impression was that he was youthful and upbeat and had great energy. He's just a down-to-earth person, very genuine. He's warm and friendly, but not to the point where it makes you think he's selling something. He told me of his plans for the Rams, and it made me want to get the season started right away.

"Could we have picked a better young coach, someone with the promise that this man has? I don't believe so. He's very impressive. And we hit it off right away."

"Whether he'll be successful, time will tell," Frontiere said. "But his optimism is wonderful. And I feel really good about the future."
    I am sorry but this is so lame. Georgia is making decisions for the Rams basing who will be the head coach on qualities like "youthful", "upbeat", "great energy" and "optimistic". Those are good qualities for a clown also.

Sorry Mike Martz.... you didn't turn out to be the happy ending that Georgia was hoping for.

Unbelievable.....:O
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

NY RAMFAN is offline Registered User

ya know, I don't like her, and I don't like the way she manages the organization, and the people she put is some positions (Ziggi) but there is something true in her, she got us the ring, and I can't be grateful enough.

I just whish for next season to have a "youthful", "upbeat", "great energy" and "optimistic" team, that let us enjoy football . . . . Psyche!!!
    I just want another RING!!!!

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

Here WE go again "AR" good stuff my friend ... Well I never cared georgia for alot of reasons ... She depeneds
    Shaw to run the team , If she was a good owner not even a great owner she would NEVER of let what happened this year happen thats the bottom line ... Dont think the Fords did not have something to do with Matt firing Tice ... I'm happy that she and Shaw are getting older ... Thats all I have to say on this ...

.ramfan. is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by UtterBlitz
    I am sorry but this is so lame. Georgia is making decisions for the Rams basing who will be the head coach on qualities like "youthful", "upbeat", "great energy" and "optimistic". Those are good qualities for a clown also.

Sorry Mike Martz.... you didn't turn out to be the happy ending that Georgia was hoping for.

Unbelievable.....:O
    lol LOL the line about the clown gave me a good chuckle.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

How touching...excuse me now while I go hurl...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

rampete is offline Registered User

talk about a freakin' creepy ordeal for linehan...he just sold his soul to georgia and her convenant...

CarolinaRam is offline Registered User

Georgia isn't a football person, so what does it matter what criteria she uses for choosing the coach? As long as she wasn't doing the preliminary search. Shaw was the one who chose Linehan, Georgia just had her own reasons for accepting Shaw's choice, though they had nothing to do with football.

Sounded like an uncomfortable evening for the new coach, though. I'm sure the paycheck will make up for it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Good point, Carolina. Probably the majority of the NFL owners know diddly about football (other than the shape of the ball) -- that's why they have directors of personnel, presidents, etc.x3.

Obviously, the owners understanding of the game itself is based on a more removed vision, sports wise. They're more business oriented.

I second NY Ramfan's comment on the fact that, ultimately, she -- Auntie Georgia -- got us a ring. She did in fact support Coach Martz, Kurt Warner, Coach Vermeil, and others whose professional productivity yielded the first Rams Super Bowl Ring.

Let's hope this new Rams leadership will decidedly take us in that direction again.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

"We've been able to win for the fans in St. Louis, and I feel bad that we let them down this season. The fans believe in us. They count on us. And all of what happened brought them down. It brought us all down. It was a difficult experience.
    Actually, no Georgia, we DON'T believe in you. You wouldn't know a half-back from a hunch-back. You only know what your personal accountant (no kidding) turned team President, John Shaw, tells you. And his record has been sketchy at best! He had the foresight to tell Vermeil things were going to change after '98 and brought in Martz to put together a championship. However, he stayed holed up in LA while Zygmunt and Martz spent the past 3 years in a school girl cat fight.

You wanna do the fans a favor? Sell the team!

And don't spout that "I'm keeping the team for CR" nonsense either. I'm quite sure nobody's buying those baked goods.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

live4ramin is offline Registered User

I'm not throwing dirt on the girl. She mentioned the St. Louis fans right out of the shute. She might present herself like she's protraying herself in a movie, but the girl shows some class in an evermore classless world.

She must have some nuts. Here's to you Ms. Georgia; but why did you have to show off that superbowl ring BEFORE we played the Pats?
    "The horror"

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Am I the only one who couldn't care less about what happened when Linehan met with Georgia?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam
    Am I the only one who couldn't care less about what happened when Linehan met with Georgia?
    The devil is in the details, AV. The meeting itself is not newsworthy, except for the results, which is Linehan is the new HC. However, some are going to find the account of it worth reading in a train-wreck kind of fashion.

Me personally, the chick makes me sick. I wish she would sell the team to somebody who actually knows football, not the overbearing Al Davis or Jerry Jones type, but a fan who can at least appreciate the game. But all that aside, some would find the oddity of the presentation and setting, attention grabbing.....to some degree anyway.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Just as long as I don't have to look at her until the Rams are accepting a Championship trophy, I don't really care about her. My impression is that she has little to do with what happens day-to-day with the Rams.