Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Afternoon Notes - Wagoner

Afternoon Session

-This team is definitely more serious about improving special teams. The afternoon session started with a fairly long (15-20 minute) special teams period that was nothing short of high energy.

-Speaking of high energy, new special teams coach Bob Ligashesky is as passionate a football coach as you will see. He runs around like a madman with instructions for everyone all the time. If his players put forth the kind of energy and enthusiasm of Ligashesky, chances are good that the special teams will drastically improve.

-Rookie punter Reggie Hodges is in a difficult situation as the team’s only punter, but he has the strong leg to do the job. His biggest question entering camp was his ability to kick directionally. He put in quite a bit of time in the afternoon working on his directional kicks and was hit or miss.

-The afternoon practices are more of a cool down practice compared to the more intense afternoon sessions. The players are in shells and there is no need for the gold jerseys on Steven Jackson or Marshall Faulk.

-The starting linebacker trio of Pisa Tinoisamoa, Dexter Coakley and Chris Claiborne has the chance to be excellent. They all have different strengths and weaknesses, but the strengths seem to complement each other well enough to cancel out any of the weaknesses.

-We all know that Kevin Curtis is fast, but it becomes easy to forget just how much speed Shaun McDonald has. In the afternoon workout, McDonald caught two or three bombs on plays where he ran right by members of the No. 1 defensive unit.

-Call it an early prediction and I don’t think it’s going out on a limb…if Marc Bulger stays healthy and has time to throw, he will become one of the league’s top five quarterbacks this year. His release is as good as ever and he was flinging the long ball as effortlessly as I have seen.

-The concerns about the backup quarterback spot are legitimate, but Jamie Martin looked solid in the afternoon workout. He doesn’t have much zip, but it is clear that he has the accuracy and timing that is more necessary than a cannon in this offense.

ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

evil disco man is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Re: Afternoon Notes - Wagoner

The players are in shells and there is no need for the gold jerseys on Steven Jackson or Marshall Faulk.
    What's with the gold jerseys? Similar to the red "no touchy" QB jersey? If so, then why is Steven Jackson reportedly laying out Anthony Hargrove when in full pads?

We all know that Kevin Curtis is fast, but it becomes easy to forget just how much speed Shaun McDonald has. In the afternoon workout, McDonald caught two or three bombs on plays where he ran right by members of the No. 1 defensive unit.

-Call it an early prediction and I don’t think it’s going out on a limb…if Marc Bulger stays healthy and has time to throw, he will become one of the league’s top five quarterbacks this year. His release is as good as ever and he was flinging the long ball as effortlessly as I have seen.
    I'm getting good vibes about my "unorthodox prediction."

The concerns about the backup quarterback spot are legitimate, but Jamie Martin looked solid in the afternoon workout. He doesn’t have much zip, but it is clear that he has the accuracy and timing that is more necessary than a cannon in this offense.
    I become concerned about Jeff Smoker's progress when the writers start dishing out compliments to Jamie freakin' Martin. :tut

sbramfan is offline Registered User

For a team putting extra emphasis on special teams, it might not be such a good idea to only have 1 unproven punter on the roster and who is "hit and miss" on his directional punting.

guess we'll just have to cross our fingers on that one.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Disco Man
    What's with the gold jerseys? Similar to the red "no touchy" QB jersey? If so, then why is Steven Jackson reportedly laying out Anthony Hargrove when in full pads?
    I believe I read somewhere that the gold jersey is the "do not jostle" jersey. Meaning you can have minimal contact, but don't be rough. I guess. :drunk:
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Two
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

ramstiles is offline Registered User

howard explained the gold jersey's quote

"*Running backs Steven Jackson and Marshall Faulk wearing gold jerseys.
    Said Martz, "Guys are flying around in practice and you don't want to take a chance. Players will just 'touch off' on those guys as opposed to 'tagging off' on the other runners. We know that they are. The contact will come in the preseason "