RamWraith is offline Registered User

Against tough Pats, defense will be the key

Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/25/2008

For the Rams to win at New England, it would be a plus to have Steven Jackson running the ball, crashing through the Patriots defense the way he did against Dallas last week.

But I really believe this game will come down to the play of the Rams defense. In the victories over Washington and Dallas, the Rams defense caused considerable chaos with its pass rush and ability to force turnovers.

In those last two games, the Rams bagged seven sacks and netted seven takeaways. Disrupting the Patriots and their largely untested quarterback, Matt Cassel, is an important key to this game.

In the Patriots' two losses this season, they allowed nine sacks and turned the ball over three times. In the two defeats, Cassel has a QB rating of 64.5. But the Patriots aren't easily rattled; they have one of the lowest overall turnover rates in the NFL. And Cassel's interception rate so far this season is lower than some big-name quarterbacks, including Peyton Manning, Brett Favre, Drew Brees, Tony Romo and Carson Palmer.

But to snatch a win in New England, I'm thinking the Rams defense will have to set up some easy scoring opportunities for the Rams offense. Jackson or no Jackson.

It will be fascinating to see if the Rams can continue their inspired, aggressive play under new head coach Jim Haslett. If they can somehow leave Gillette Stadium with a victory, it will set up an exciting showdown with Arizona at the Edward Jones Dome next Sunday.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Against tough Pats, defense will be the key

This Patriots team minus Tom Brady doesn't have that comeback ability.

If we can grab a lead then yes the defense will be able to tee off on Cassel.
    He hasn't shown that he responds well when the team is trailing.

eldfan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RamWraith View Post
    Bernie Miklasz

ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    10/25/2008

In those last two games, the Rams bagged seven sacks and netted seven takeaways. Disrupting the Patriots and their largely untested quarterback, Matt Cassel, is an important key to this game.

I agree I hope the defense continued to get those takeways.
    :ramlogo:

ramfan247 is offline Registered User

Agreed! Defense stepped it up big time two weeks ago but weren't at the calibur they should have been last week vs. the Cowboys. Although we won, I thought the defense gave up too many big third downs to the terrible cowboys that showed up.

Ram Dragoon is offline Registered User

Indeed, mostly because the Pats know their defense has to step up for their cause.

Fact is Cassel hasn't shown much of an ability to get the ball deep. So deny the Pats the deep pass or anything 10 or more yards out. Playing a short field zone scheme and going man-to-man on the deep routes gives another advantages, Blitzing and 8 in the box for the run.

If the Pats are going to beat the Rams, put the ball in his hands. Honestly I don't think he can do it.