Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age of starters

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Age of starters

I got curious about how "old" a team we are going to put on the field for opening day. I checked the roster with the pre-judicial thought that we were getting pretty old. However, we are younger than I first thought. Here's the age of the possible (and I stress, only possible) starters as of opening day.

Offense
    QB Marc Bulger 27
    RB Marshall Faulk 31
    LT Orlando Pace 28
    LG Andy McCollum 34
    C Dave Wolabaugh 32
    RG Adam Timmerman 33
    RT Kyle Turley 28
    TE B. Manumanuala 24
    WR Isaac Bruce 31
    WR Torry Holt 28
    WR Dane Looker 28

Defense
    DE Leonard Little 29
    DT D-Lew 26
    DT Ryan Pickett 24
    DE Tyoka Jackson 32
    OLB Tommy Polley 26
    MLB Robert Thomas 24
    OLB Pisa Tinoisamoa 23
    CB Travis Fisher 24
    CB Jer. Butler 25
    FS Aeneas Williams 36
    SS Adam Arch. 26

K Jeff Wilkins 32
    P Sean Landetta 42

Now, I think it would be fair to say that most, not all, players peak between 27-29 (and yes that is open to debate). So with that assumption in place, our offense has 1 player still developing, 5 in their prime, and 5 who are declining (although 3 of those 5 are O-lineman who tend to be more prolific than skill players). That's pretty good news for the current team, if you ask me.

What's even more exciting is the defense (Tx, you'll love this). On the defensive side of the ball, we have 1 player in his prime, 2 on the way down (although one is TJ who will be rotating at end), and 8 (how many?) I said 8 defensive starters who should be improving over the next couple of years.

Now I know, there are 25 year-olds who can't find it with both hands (Ryan Leaf) and there are 40 year-olds at the Pro Bowl (Bruce Matthews), but notwithstanding I think this should be a decent indicator of good things to come in the current and near future.

"Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

Re: Age of starters

I like how the Rams have been drafting, if the players we drafted pan out (i.e. Pickett, DLew, and Kennedy). Teams are cyclical in the salary cap era. When we were short defensively, we had the luxury of having a very potent offense. Now that the defense has technically been shored up, it's now time to concentrate on the offensive side of the ball for infusion.

Good post bison.

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    it's now time to concentrate on the offensive side of the ball
    Who are you, and what have you done with Tx?! :redface:
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Oh, don't worry. I'm not worried about the offense at all. It will take care of itself. Draftwise though, it is time to start replinishing the skill positions and we have started. To me, Curtis and McDonald aren't the answer at WR. They aren't the star quality this offense requires. For those of you who disagree, give me some reasons why.

1. Curtis played at Utah State. They aren't on CBS or ABC alot, so there is no way you know about this guy unless you watched the WAC or whatever conference they are in.
    2. McDonald was iffy at ASU. He did school Trufant in the one game I watched but that was just one game.

UnderdogRam is offline Registered User

tx is right. We have spent a lot of time re-building the defense over the last few years. It's time we start getting the replacments on O.

As long as we have Martz we will always be fine on that side of the ball.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I think the Rams took a big step towards replenishing the offense this year by drafting Steven Jackson.

If neither Curtis nor McDonald emerges this year as a potential future starter, I think the Rams should look at drafting a blue-chip (1st or 2nd round) WR next year and start grooming him to be Bruce's eventual replacement.

I'm not convinced that Curtis can't be that guy, though.

rampower is offline Registered User

By the same token I dont think we should call Curtis out just yet tx, he may come good, we shall see this season.

I agree, hope he is a diamond in the rough. However, if he dosen't pan out we shouldn't waste anymore time.

elAcky Guest

We still lack a fundamental element on defense i.e. a defensive leader.. without that we are unlikely to realise the potential!

I'll go with what I said a while back... I think that next year we will have a better chance of going all the way.. this year should be a bedding in year.. to go all the way I think we are going to have let Pace go though

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Thankfully, Bruce still has some years left in him. As he gets older and loses a step, he can still be effective as a possession receiver given his route running skills and hands. Can you imagine him lining up against nickel and dime CBs?

In last year's draft, Curtis was the 10th WR taken, but if I remember correctly, he had the 2nd fastest 40 time and the highest Wonderlic score of anyone in the draft. Again IIRC, didn't the Rams have Curtis 2nd (behind Andre Johnson) on their receiver ranking?

By the way, when I was checking ages I noticed that Curtis turns 26 in a couple of weeks. I didn't realize he was that old. He needs to get up to speed pretty quick.

If he can overcome that small school stigma, he could be the #2 receiver behind Holt after Bruce is done.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Cool Re: Age of starters

Goo job HUbison! When you were doing this did you happen to calculate the average age of the current roster or the average age of the projected starters?

Quote Originally Posted by txramsfan
    To me, Curtis and McDonald aren't the answer at WR. They aren't the star quality this offense requires. For those of you who disagree, give me some reasons why.

1. Curtis played at Utah State. They aren't on CBS or ABC alot, so there is no way you know about this guy unless you watched the WAC or whatever conference they are in.
    2. McDonald was iffy at ASU. He did school Trufant in the one game I watched but that was just one game.
    Interesting....Didn't you say the other day that if you could play in this league then they would find you? Maybe we should just chalk these guys up to more bad draft picks?

I am not sure what you base star quality on? It seems you are going by the college that these WRs attended? They have not done a lot on the field, Curtis has done next to nothing, but this does not mean they can't become stars or quality players for the Rams. Also, Bruce struggled for several years with chronic hamstring problems.

Just to note some of the schools past and present Rams receivers attended.

Bruce - Memphis
    Holt - NC State
    Ellard - Fresno State
    Hakim - San Diego state
    Proehl - Wake Forest

None of these are what I consider big time football schools with their games nationally televised on a weekly basis.

No, I agree with you ferter. I really wasn't basing their talent on the school they went to. It was more directed to the fan inside each of us. Don't just tell me Curtis is going to be good just because you saw his 40 speed or the Rams chose him. Tell me what YOU saw and let me know YOUR impression of what YOU saw.

When I say YOU, I'm not technically directing it towards ferter. It's to everyone. I know Curtis has been hurt, however does that make our situation more palatable due to the fact he was hurt? No. We still need a speed guy at 3.

Curly Horns is offline Registered User

Thanks for clearing that up tx!

I am not so sure McDonald makes this years squad, if I had to base it on last years performance.

I have nothing on Curtis, because I have not seen him play in college or during last years preseason.

I like Looker at the #3 spot, he isn't a real burner, but he caught 50 balls last year and he is adequate in the redzone. Also, he is a very good special teams player. I don't recall him bobbling one snap last year as the holder for kicks.

Furrey, Curtis, McDonald - maybe one of these guys is the odd man out?

Quote Originally Posted by Ferter
    Goo job HUbison! When you were doing this did you happen to calculate the average age of the current roster or the average age of the projected starters?

I did this from projected starters. Interesting point though, the only non-starters over the age of 30 are Chris Chandler (38) and Sean Moran (31). The bench is very young indeed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast