Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamWraith is offline Registered User

Agent fired Steven Jackson?

AGENT FIRES PLAYER?
    Posted by Mike Florio on June 16, 2008

Usually, it’s the NFL player who fires the NFL agent, sometimes at the behest of another NFL agent who discreetly induces the change without leaving sufficient fingerprints to get himself punished by the NFLPA (i.e., taking out a full-page ad in SportsBusiness Journal stating, “I just stole [insert player name] from [insert agent name], and I liked it”).

This time around, the agent reportedly initiated the move. According to Liz Mullen of the aforementioned SportsBusiness Journal (Emmitt says, “You actually only mentioned it one time, not four”), Gary Uberstine has parted ways with Rams running back Steven Jackson.

The move is unusual because Jackson is entering his contract year with the Rams. Because Uberstine wasn’t Jackson’s agent when his rookie contract was signed, Uberstine will in the end earn zero dollars, zero cents in football contract fees from Jackson. (Then again, Uberstine might have gotten a nice piece of the action for Jackson’s 2007 Nike commercial, which was one of the rare occasions last year when Jackson played football without getting injured.)

Uberstine wouldn’t disclose the reason for the split to Mullen, and there’s no word on who Jackson’s next agent will be.

“I assume there will be no shortage of interested agents,” Uberstine told Mullen. “He is a phenomenal ballplayer and should be the highest-paid running back in the league. I don’t have any bad feelings.”

This isn’t the first time that Jackson has been involved in an eyebrow-raising situation when it comes to his agent. Jackson’s first agent was Rocky Arceneaux, who also represented at the time Marshall Faulk, the incumbent starter when Jackson was picked by the Rams in round one of the 2004 draft. The conflict of interest was palpable, but Arceneaux continued to represent both men. He was criticized privately in league circles for the value of the initial contract that he negotiated for Jackson.

Jackson’s next contract should be worth considerably more. Regardless of who the agent is.

RamFan_Til_I_Die is online now Registered User

Re: Agent fired Steven Jackson?

Time for me to polish up my resume. But really that makes no sense.

maineram is offline Registered User

Great, please don't tell us it will be the Poston's..............

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

supachump is offline Registered User

I just want to say that "Uberstine" is one of the coolest names I've heard in a while.

general counsel is offline Registered User

Boy would i LOVE more detail on this story, although i strongly doubt we will ever get it.

Jackson is looking at a MASSIVE payday. I could understand why Jackson might change agents, but for the life of me i can not fathom the incentive any agent would have for voluntarily letting go of jackson as a client at this point.

While the Rams realize that the odds of Jackson hiring the Postons are very remote, I am sure that Ziggy and SHaw are both concerned that The BIg Boy might bring in Avenger who is known far and wide for negotiating the most favorable settlements known to man for his wide array of clients. Avenger has vanquished BIg Tobacco, how hard can it be for him to take ziggy to the cleaners with a guy as talented as The Big Boy.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I can understand what youre saying GC. I'm afraid of the money we're gonna give Jackson because he seems to be injury prone.

Keenum is offline Registered User

Very odd story indeed. There's gotta be more to it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

There's surely more to it as you said, Keenum. So far though, it looks like the agent simply dropped the ball!

rammiser is online now Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Mooselini View Post
    I can understand what youre saying GC. I'm afraid of the money we're gonna give Jackson because he seems to be injury prone.

I dont really understand this statement at all. Is injury prone only missing 5 games due to injury since 2004? Four of those games were last year. Jackson has suited up and played in 57 games and only missed 5, wow that is injury prone.
    Just Fix It

Rambos is online now Registered User

I have always said, signing SJ long term will cost the Rams a ton and it will not be easy. I hope we get it done soon.

Truth is offline Registered User

There are only a couple of reasons I can see an agent quiting in this kind of situation.

1) Personal or family health issue

2) Did not/could not see eye to eye with client on contract negotiations.

The second one is the one that scares me. The Rams have said that they had already been talking to Jackson's rep about a contract. Has Jackson turned down good offers? Is Jackson a difficult person to work with?
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Truth View Post
    2) Did not/could not see eye to eye with client on contract negotiations.

The second one is the one that scares me. The Rams have said that they had already been talking to Jackson's rep about a contract. Has Jackson turned down good offers? Is Jackson a difficult person to work with?
    But it could be the other end of the spectrum. What if the agent is pushing Jackson to hold out, and Jackson is refusing?

I admit the negative possibility is more likely, but the positive possibility is still, well..........a possibility.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    But it could be the other end of the spectrum. What if the agent is pushing Jackson to hold out, and Jackson is refusing?

I admit the negative possibility is more likely, but the positive possibility is still, well..........a possibility.
    Could you run that by me again?

The only thing I believe that is going on is that SJ is refusing to cut the Dreads!

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Could you run that by me again?
    I'm just sayin' it certainly could be Jackson who is pushing the contract envelope; but it very well could be the agent making contract demands that are in excess of what Jackson is wanting. I doubt it, but it's possible.

Here's the way it breaks down to me. IF we assume that the agent "fired" Jackson, we first have to ask why. The agent stands to make a ton of money when Jackson puts his sig on the line. The agent's concern should be one thing, and that is getting Jackson to sign. At that point, and that point alone does the agent get paid.

Knowing that Jackson will sign somewhere within the next year, why would the agent voluntarily miss that pay day? Maybe the agent feels that Jackson's demands are too low, and refuses to play hard(er) ball to get more money for both himself and (subsequently) the agent. Therefore, with less of a payday awaiting him, he decides the cost-benefit is not enough to spend his time on.

Like I said, I doubt it; but it's still a possibility.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Truth is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post

Yeah. I thought of that too. I just think if it was a problem like that, Jackson would've fired his agent, not the other way around.
    That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast