Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

Ahh, what do I know about coaches anyway?

I wanted a defensive minded Head Coach. Ron Rivera was my favorite of the candidates.

The Rams hired offensive minded Scott Linehan.

I wanted Jim Bates or Donnie Henderson as the Defensive Coordinator.

The Rams hired Jim Haslett, who has always rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm upset, right?

Not really.

After all, I really don't know that much about how to evaluate potential coaches. None of us do. Its fun to opine and speculate, but, in the end, we're all guessing.

Heck, I thought Dick Vermiel was a disasterous hiring, and look what he ended up doing.

All we can really do is look for logical points to hang on to.

Linenhan makes sense because he can offer some continuity with the offense. He seems to have a great reputation with those who have worked with him before. He's young and apparently hungry to lead and win. I'm behind him.

Haslett brings great experience and a reputation as a tough minded, fiery competitor. I'm behind him.

The Rams seem to have worked hard to find the right guys to fill their coaching vacancies. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.

majorram is offline Registered User

Re: Ahh, what do I know about coaches anyway?

for me we now have the coaching staff in place, now lets go out and get the players, thats what I'm looking forward to seeing, the new talent coming aboard!!!

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

tanus is offline Registered User

good stuff Avenger. i am also satisfied with the coaches we have brought on board as well.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Haslett brings great experience and a reputation as a tough minded, fiery competitor. I'm behind him.

The Rams seem to have worked hard to find the right guys to fill their coaching vacancies. I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.
    :up:

I'm a bit perplexed by the Haslett signing as well, but who knows. He did coach the Steelers D for three seasons and they always have a tough D.

If the RAMS D were half as tough as the Steelers or aints for that matter it would still be an upgrade.

:clanram:
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

If, as you evaluate the hiring of Jim Haslett, you find yourself questioning the wisdom of the move, remember this one, univerally accepted, calming thought:

HE'S NOT LARRY MARMIE

majorram is offline Registered User

Funny AV funny!!!LOL LOL LOL

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

HE'S NOT LARRY MARMIE
    LOL

Haslett is the second coming of Bud Carson compaired to Marmalade.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

bruce_wannabe Guest

any one is better than marmie put it that way

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quite the surprise to me. I never liked Haslett but I admit the reasoning was related to his coaching the Saints.

I heard JH this past season on a couple of post-game interviews and he sounded 'human enough' to gain my sympathy. I hope he really has the knack to be an effective DC.

Bottom line: 'Welcome to the Rams, Coach Haslett'. [Still sounds sort of strange!]

Another point that supports Haslett is that the Rams didn't choose Henderson, despite his history with Linehan. This indicates that the Rams may have learned from Martz's hiring of his buddy Marmie, and instead went with the guy they thought was best for the job.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Haslett could be the next Dick LeBeau or Marty Mornhinwig...........not so successful HC turned excellent coordinator.

FAIR WARNING: I will delete any reference to Martz with regards to the previous sentence.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

general counsel is offline Registered User

I always hated haslett and thought he was an awful head coach. i thought the saints had plenty of talent but always seemed to spit the bit and play undisciplined in the big games. However, we didnt hire him as a head coach and i agree with avenger 100%. What do we really know?

He is a proven guy with experience as a coordinator. The saints played very hard nosed defense for a long time and they certainly gave us a tough time over the years.

I am fully supportive and behind the squad 100%. Now we need an upgrade of the talent on the defensive side of the ball. Any chance that leroi glover is still available and in shape?

ramming speed to all

general counsel

AJD45 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Haslett could be the next Dick LeBeau or Marty Mornhinwig...........not so successful HC turned excellent coordinator.
    I agree with your point about Haslett being more suited as a coordinator and think this will the case with Haslett. (But as the resident wuss-coast offense hater, I can't agree with your choice of Mornhinwuss as an example of "excellence"!!)

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Didn't see this one coming. I always thought Haslett was a cry baby and whiner as well as an underachiever, but now that he's our DC, I'm behind him 100%. The bottom line is what he can do to improve what ails us. I do like his intense nature, which is exactly what I think our guys need.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by AJD45
    I agree with your point about Haslett being more suited as a coordinator and think this will the case with Haslett. (But as the resident wuss-coast offense hater, I can't agree with your choice of Mornhinwuss as an example of "excellence"!!)
    Yea, I suppose, nobody around here likes the WCO, but Mornhinwig actually has done a pretty good job with the Eagles offense, especially when considering the injuries and TO nonsense he's had to deal with.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast