Thread: Al Saunders???

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Al Saunders???

Linehan and even Haslett have been taking alot of heat on the Clan boards.

What about Saunders and his offensive genious???

2006 (Linehan and Olson)

First 2 games we scored 38 points.

2007 (Linehan and Olson)

First 2 games we scord 29 points.

2008 (Saunders)

First 2 games we scored 16 points.

SFCRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: Al Saunders???

I've been wondering if he has free reign to run and call the offense as he sees fit. That is something that has been bothering me. Then again, he can't really open up the playbook if we can't block well enough to run or pass block long enough for anything longer than a screen or short pass without getting the statuesque Bulger killed...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

SJax, a developing quarterbacks best friend...

RamFan_Til_I_Die is offline Registered User

That's what I don't understand. The only key piece we lost is from last year Bruce, and we're doing worse. Something very strange and wrong is going on within the Rams organization. I'm not quite yet ready to say we're tanking on purpose, but something just ain't right.

ScottD413 is offline Registered User

The first two posts had good points;

SFCRamFan - "Then again, he can't really open up the playbook if we can't block well enough to run or pass block long enough for anything longer than a screen or short pass without getting the statuesque Bulger killed... "

Absolutley right. I'm sure we would pass the ball downfield more if we could block, or even get the running game going a little.

RamFan Till I Die - "The only key piece we lost is from last year Bruce, and we're doing worse"

Without Bruce on the other side the D can just sit back and concentrate on Holt. They know that Looker and Hall aren't threats. We never should have let Ike leave. Never. That was a bigger mistake than most people realize

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    Linehan and even Haslett have been taking alot of heat on the Clan boards.

What about Saunders and his offensive genious???

2006 (Linehan and Olson)

First 2 games we scored 38 points.

2007 (Linehan and Olson)

First 2 games we scord 29 points.

2008 (Saunders)

First 2 games we scored 16 points.
    The one constant is Linehan and Bulger. I said in a post in the off-season that if the offense continues to suck (struggle to score yet again) this will be the 3rd (thrid) offensive cordinator who suddenly sucks when letting Bulger run his offense.

The offensive line is also a culprit, but not entirely,. I watch so many qb's without adequate protection make plays at the QB position and get the ball out faster and more accurately than Bulger ever would even with time. He also cannot throw the deep ball and does not have the vision to throw down the field.

I hope our new coach takes a look at the qb position.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

It all starts in the trenches. We have a bunch of Matadors for an O line, and the D line can't get constant pressure. I would like to see if Dustin Fry can block; he can't be any worse than Lechey. Has anyone seen Clifton Ryan? He played pretty well last year, why isn't he starting at NT?
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

Okay, just playing Devil's Advocate here:

1) We're putting very little speed on the field, which is keeping us from stretching the field. That's a personnel issue more than a coaching issue. When we aren't going deep, they keep the coverage underneath and break everything up. Not only is Bruce gone, but Bennett, Avery, and Burton (after injuring his knee) were all out of commission last game. Our only healthy receivers were Holt, Looker, and Hall. If Avery is not back for next game, our entire receiving corps for next game will be aged 29 and up. That's bad news.

2) Already the offensive line is down Setterstrom, Bell, and Romberg. Two out of three of those guys should have been starters on the interior, and that's where our line is having the most problems right now.

3) Any new system takes time to learn, but the length of Saunders' playbook is infamous. The fact that players can't stay healthy enough to get on the field has undoubtedly slowed the installation of the offense.

In my opinion, all of these are reasons to wait and see on Saunders. If the issue is adapting to the new system, that will improve over the course of the season. If the problem is injuries, everyone but Setterstrom should be back on the field within the next month. If the problem is just Saunders...well, that will be clearer down the stretch.

btimsah Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Goldenfleece View Post
    Okay, just playing Devil's Advocate here:

1) We're putting very little speed on the field, which is keeping us from stretching the field. That's a personnel issue more than a coaching issue. When we aren't going deep, they keep the coverage underneath and break everything up. Not only is Bruce gone, but Bennett, Avery, and Burton (after injuring his knee) were all out of commission last game. Our only healthy receivers were Holt, Looker, and Hall. If Avery is not back for next game, our entire receiving corps for next game will be aged 29 and up. That's bad news.

2) Already the offensive line is down Setterstrom, Bell, and Romberg. Two out of three of those guys should have been starters on the interior, and that's where our line is having the most problems right now.

3) Any new system takes time to learn, but the length of Saunders' playbook is infamous. The fact that players can't stay healthy enough to get on the field has undoubtedly slowed the installation of the offense.

In my opinion, all of these are reasons to wait and see on Saunders. If the issue is adapting to the new system, that will improve over the course of the season. If the problem is injuries, everyone but Setterstrom should be back on the field within the next month. If the problem is just Saunders...well, that will be clearer down the stretch.
    I am not about to sit her and now say Saunders sucks. Linehan, Olson and now Saunders? Bulger is a coordinator killer.

Although, Saunders might be the best bet for interim head coach. Not that we have a good choice....

eldfan is offline Registered User

"2) Already the offensive line is down Setterstrom, Bell, and Romberg. Two out of three of those guys should have been starters on the interior, and that's where our line is having the most problems right now."

Even with the line not playing good Bulger should be better. I agree about the speed of the wr's but Saunders should be able to cook something up with what he got to give us some more point. If he dose not have enough talent than you really can't blame him.
    :ramlogo:

eric2810 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by btimsah View Post
    He also cannot throw the deep ball and does not have the vision to throw down the field.
    I'm not to sure about that. This past week he Threw a 45 yard bomb to Holt. That was showing vision down field. However, that was argueably his only positive of the season for him so far.

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eric2810 View Post
    I'm not to sure about that. This past week he Threw a 45 yard bomb to Holt. That was showing vision down field. However, that was argueably his only positive of the season for him so far.
    Just a point though about that 45 yard bomb...

...it was terribly underthrown. The defender had a better shot at catching it than Holt. Holt was just fortunate enough to come up with it after the ball was bobbled. It was a bad throw.

I'm not blaming Bulger for the lack of deep throws though, it more of a lack of speed at WR. The Rams have become an old, slow looking offense. No time to throw + no speed = short, quick dump passes.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Personnel issues aside, Saunders needs to step it up because he's not fooling anyone with what he's running. Bland, predictable and unimaginative is just not going to get it done.

bruce4life is offline Registered User

The main point is that we can not run the ball to set up the pass right now. Leckey needs to be released and we should move Incognito over to center and let Greco start at RG. We can't do any worse anyhow. See what the kid has. Because honestly we're startiing a Cardinals castoff at center are you kidding me???

letsgoramz is offline Registered User

boy arent we missing martz now
    Torry Holt Dont play that