Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    eauclare is offline Registered User

Alan Faneca and Max Starks

Both are UFA's from the Steelers. I hope we make a serious run to land one of them. I doubt the Steelers would be able to resign both of them.

Go get a DE, MLB, SS, OL in the draft. IMO we need to sign a couple of proven OL in FA to add some leadership to the line. Note to the Rams FO: When I say proven OL, I don't mean guys a year or two past their prime.

RedArcher7 is offline Registered User

Re: Alan Faneca and Max Starks

Starks maybe, Fanece is overrated and will command too much money. You have a point about signing old players, the FO has this idea what this NFL plays like Madden. Chavous, Glover....and so on and so forth.

Varg6 is offline Registered User

I like Faneca, but thats just me. Either one of them I'd love to get in the offseason. I agree with everything you've said ea. Welcome to the board by the way, I read your other post(s) and you seem like you will be a great contributor to the clan! Once again, a warm welcome ^_^

Always and Forever a fan of the St. Louis Rams

DualHazzarD is offline Registered User

Faneca is a great player, I'd love to see the Rams pick him up. He'd be a good contribution to the team, and could make some holes for Jackson to run through, and we all know Jackson can make one hell of a show if hes got the holes to go through. I say knab Faneca.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I already knew about Faneca, but overlooked Starks. With the stink that Faneca made about not being paid by the Steelers, there's no way that he won't make it to FA. That said, he'll be looking for a payday and not much else, so we'll be overpaying for a lineman who's good, but isn't a spring chicken by any means. He could help anchor our line and teach some of our youngins?, though, so is it worth it?

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by TekeRam View Post
    That said, he'll be looking for a payday and not much else, so we'll be overpaying for a lineman who's good, but isn't a spring chicken by any means. He could help anchor our line and teach some of our youngins?, though, so is it worth it?
    I suppose that would depend on who we have left standing at the end of the year. One thing's for sure ... we could sure use him now. Either Starks or Faneca would improve our O-line, but I''m not worried about the Rams overpaying for a lineman, I'm more worried they won't be willing to pay enough for a good one that isn't over the hill...

blood85 is offline Registered User

I'd like to see them go Defense in the draft and pick up some solid offensive linemen, via, the free agency market.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by eauclare View Post
    Both are UFA's from the Steelers. I hope we make a serious run to land one of them. I doubt the Steelers would be able to resign both of them.

Go get a DE, MLB, SS, OL in the draft. IMO we need to sign a couple of proven OL in FA to add some leadership to the line. Note to the Rams FO: When I say proven OL, I don't mean guys a year or two past their prime.
    I think we need like 4 or 5 more TE's.

Seriously though, Faneca is not happy in Pittsburgh. It will be all about the greenbacks.

Goldenfleece is offline Registered User

When I say proven OL, I don't mean guys a year or two past their prime.
    While I do think it would be a good idea to look about both the players you mentioned, finding a good player who has proven his ability and is in his prime isn't that easy. Most years there are only a handful of free agents like that at any position.

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm all for bringing in both of them, but the truth is, they are probably the top two targeted linemen in next year's FA pool.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

eauclare is offline Registered User

Hubison, I agree that they probably are the two most targeted linemen.

Let's make a hard push for them. As I mentioned in my letter to Shaw, make some bold moves. If the Rams aren't willing to be competitive in FA, you end up with the middle of the road guys they have been settling on. I'm sick and tired of settling.

By the way, I just e-mailed my letter to Jeff Gordon of the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Now it's time to send one to Rams Park. If you guys still want to get the petition going, lets do it.

rams 24/7 is offline Registered User

If we don't sign one of them that means this organization really don't want to do right.

TekeRam is offline Registered User

I'd just like to caution you about Pittsburgh. They're very cautious about whom they resign, and there are good examples of them being too cautious and very much right. Plaxico Burress is obviously an oversight, but he wanted to be a No. 1 and that's what he is in NY. He was replaced by Randle El, and then Santonio Holmes. Randle El hasn't done much in Washington for all his millions. Also, Joey Porter hasn't done much of anything this year for the Dolphins(21 solo tackles, 1 sack, 1 Pass Defensed). If the Steelers don't want to resign someone, it's buyer beware.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

As I mentioned in my letter to Shaw, make some bold moves.
    Yet you also mentioned in your letter to Shaw that there should be no more getting free agents who are past their prime. Faneca will be 31-years-old when he hits the market, and will want the kind of money that Dielman, Dockery, and Steinbach got last year so you're basically talking about $25 million in the first three years of the deal. He's still playing at a high level I think, but how long will that last?

If we were going to spend big money on a free agent guard, I would have preferred it be Eric Steinbach last year to be honest. Paying that kind of money to someone of Faneca's age doesn't strike me as wise, and my impression is that those are the kind of figures Faneca is looking for.

Bar-bq is offline Pro Bowl Ram

My question is this: If we don't go after Faneca, who else is there?

Do we really need another right tackle? Are we convinced that Barron is a failure? Is he moving to the left side? What's happening with Pace?

Look, when all's said and done, yes, we need improvements made to our OL, especially at guard and potentially at tackle. Who else is out there if we don't throw money at Faneca?

That's not to say that I endorse his signing-- age and cap restraints have to come into the picture, but if he is the best bet to improve our interior line, then go the hell for it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast