Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    viper is offline Registered User

Alas..the sky is falling once again

It never ceases to amaze me, how quickly my fellow Ram's fans will turn on thier team, their players and their coach. The clouds of "doom and gloom" lye low above the legion once again. Again the naysayers have their day, to lay their spew upon the feet of the horns.

Ohhhh no, we've lost to the lowly dirty birds, Ohhh no, we've lost 6 out of the last 7 games, Ohh no, our captain has spoke out to the media about a few of his undisciplined guardians, possibly upsetting a few teammates, Oh no, our coach won't take responsibility and demand accountability from his youthful squires on the front lines, let alone the team as a whole.

Granted, the legion has seen better days. But, why is it that the masses choose to dwell on the "darker side" of things rather the hope of a brighter day to come. Is there not a chance, a hope that a brighter day shall dawn as a result of the upcoming offseason. This season is lost, no doubt. Who can say that this was not a distinct possibility, considering that we would be brandishing a new head coach, a new defensive coordinator, new offensive and defensive schemes, new free agents, untested rookies and a decimated offensive line. Add to that a previously dysfunctional run defense, pass defense and special teams for the last several years and what do you get? The "2006 St. Louis Rams!" Hooray! We got exactly what we "should have" expected. Or at least considered the possibility that it could be a tough year. Well guess what, it has turned out to be a "tough year." A downright bleak season.

But, ya know what, believe it or not, there has been improvement over last year. Our special teams have improved significantly in punting, coverage and returns. Our defense, is doing better in the turnover battle, our pass defense is improved and as hard as it may be to believe we do seem to be better at keeping opponents from scoring on us as much.

Its easy to throw fuel on the fire proclaiming how terrible things are when the going gets tough. The question is where are you when your team needs your support? Anybody can belittle a losing team...and their is no question we are losing right now. But, in doing so, are you any better than the opposing team's fans that come to diss on your team. I haven't seen too many "positive" threads lately about our team that make me feel like this is the Rams home.

I, personally, have unwavering faith in the positve attributes of the Rams! I choose not to wallow in the ever increasing muck and mire that seems to be prevalent around here lately. I agree that we are not where we want to be...far from it. But, I'm not going to participate in any "hanging" or "slop" parties or anything of the like.

Why can't we focus on the good things about our team or future prospects. Maybe that means a higher draft pick next year or a few well scouted free agents. Maybe its a few of our players responding to the call from their QB, stepping up and saying with their game, hey, that won't be me, I care! Maybe its about stealing a win or two of the remaining games that we have left.

Its easy to be a sad sack these days in light of recent events. Its harder to be a dedicated warrior in the face of adversity. I guarantee its much easier to accept where your team is this year if you acknowledge the shortcomings of this season and shrug it off rather than lambasting anything and everything that has occurred this year.

There are still a few games to be played ths year and I for one am going to search every shred of positive that can be taken from each game to get us better prepared for next season. Whether its Steven Jackson going over 2,000 all purpose yards this season or Torry Holt getting his "Big Game" back. Maybe its Klopfenstein getting his due, Chillar proving everyone wrong or Hill getting his mojo going in the NFL.

There is still alot to be hopeful for this year. Enjoy the good things that are left to come my friends. Next year will be better I can assure you!

Go Rams!!! :l

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Alas..the sky is falling once again

im very much hopeful of the young guys getting some time. I want to see guys like Alston get some playing time, and further playing time for guys like Hill

we arent going to win anything, so why not bench some of the older players who arent really pulling their weight in favour of getting invaluable match time to young players? Of course guys like Jackson, Bulger Holt and Bruce will stay in the team. But problems areas like the OL and defense need some change. So why not look to next year?

Also, it may be time for Pisa to sit so he can heal up properly. We just signed him to a new contract, and we want him to be healthy next year. He is really banged up right now so maybe its time to give him a rest. Move Spoon outside so he can adapt to that position and play Brooks in the middle maybe.

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I can only speak for myself, but I can assure you that I have not "turned on the team."

Rather, I am merely among a minority of fans who believe that the fastest route from where we are now (rock bottom, I hope) and where we want to be (See 1999-2001) is to cut our losses now and hire someone who is ready for the role of Head Coach.

I just feel like, with Linehan at the helm, to paraphrase U2, we're not likely to get ourselves together, but rather we are stuck in a moment, and we can't get out of it.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

You won't find a more RAMS dedicated warrior than myself. That will never change. Through thick or thin the RAMS have always been my team and I've never swayed.

I find it actually very interesting here at the Clan bouncing different ideas and opinions around. There's nothing wrong with a good debate or thoughts on how someone else would run the team.

You're 100% accurate, we are stuck with the results of this team. I am always looking forward to the next game and the opportunity to see the Rams win.

However as far as the Head Coach goes. As I've stated in other threads I'm on the fence and remain there until someone talks me off of it one side or the other.

GO RAMS

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

I think this is a terrific article and have repped accordingly. I actually think that part of the problem may well be the fact that we went from worst to first in one season and that it has governed our expectations ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I think this is a terrific article and have repped accordingly. I actually think that part of the problem may well be the fact that we went from worst to first in one season and that it has governed our expectations ever since.
    Speak for yourself. I've been a Rams fan since the 1970s, so my expectations are certainly not governed by the 1998 to 1999 ascension. Rather, my expectations are governed by my assessment of the team's overall talent level relative to that of their competition.

supachump is offline Registered User

Maybe part of the discension is that we were 4 and 1, and now we have lost so many of the games after that point. We have gotten worse as the year has gone on. Not better. This is not a good sign to me.

Even with this, I'm not doom and gloom. I have hope that next year will be better. But unless the Rams start showing some improvement THIS YEAR. I am skeptical. Going backwards is not positive.

rammiser is offline Registered User

I definately have NOT turned on the team. I hurt when the team loses. My wife knows there is a 30 minute no talk period after a loss so I can cool down. Maybe that's a little psycho but that is how I am. I have lived with this team for most of my life. While I may think we will get crushed by Chicago I will be there rooting for our Rams to some how pull off the upset. I live and die with this team and I always will. They moved from L.A. to St. Louis and my heart went with them. This is our team and while we may whine and complain and get a bit gloomy we are still die hard RAMS FANS and we always will be.
    Just Fix It

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by AvengerRam View Post
    I can only speak for myself, but I can assure you that I have not "turned on the team."

Rather, I am merely among a minority of fans who believe that the fastest route from where we are now (rock bottom, I hope) and where we want to be (See 1999-2001) is to cut our losses now and hire someone who is ready for the role of Head Coach.

I just feel like, with Linehan at the helm, to paraphrase U2, we're not likely to get ourselves together, but rather we are stuck in a moment, and we can't get out of it.
    When Linehan was hired I was less than thrilled. Apparently he said all the right things and had a plan (on paper) to turn the franchise around. Shaw was purportedly blown away with his preparedness, his "plan". The reason I wasn't sold on the hire was: It seemed that Shaw was giving in to the temptation to hire a yes man, someone who wouldn't rock the boat after all the drama with Martz. That was just a gut feeling, however, I am only a fan, not an insider. After he was hired I tried to focus on the positive and must admit I was thrilled with the hiring of Haslett. Am I now?? Oh well, nevermind.

I don't see Shaw and company "cutting our losses" after one season. Sure Shaw and ownership want to win -- if you lose all the time no butts in the seats. Does current management want to win regardless of what it takes? I think not. The old saying: "a leopard can't change it's spots" still holds true. The Rams are still owned and managed by the same group. I hope that group proves me wrong ...

RAMFANRAIDERHATER is offline Registered User

I too, have been a Ram fan since before any of the current players were born. I too live and die with them after each victory and each defeat.

But I also reserve the right to be critical of MY Rams when I think there' not giving 100% effort to win. If I'm not critical of them, then who? I follow them, I know them. I buy their stuff, I wear their colors. I have every right, no, I have a responsibility to criticize them when they play the way they've been playing. Sure, there are some positive things to focus on, but in any walk of life, in sports, or in business, you must identify your weaknesses and correct them. That's what we do, as fans. We see problems, and we want them fixed. Unfortunately, some people want immediate gratification, which is probably a by-product of our society, like fast-food. We want it, and we want it NOW!!

But that ain't the way it happens folks. Some things take time. Which is why I'm not critical of Haslett and Linehan, ...Yet. But believe me, I expect these guys to give it 100% everytime they step on that field, and I'm not seeing that from some of them. Problems that are easily corrected are not being corrected! Problems like lack of talent are much more difficult to address, and it will take 2-3 years to get this ship righted so I give them slack on that. But the nonsense I watch week-after-week, is our DB's inability to read and cover receivers, our LB's constantly running themselves out of a play (Pisa and Spoon included) a particular OT false starting game after game. Another O lineman taking stupid, untimely personal foul penalties. THAT, is what bothers me, and what I voice my opinion on. THAT is what I'm critical of. THAT is what I will continue to debate and scream about. As a Ram fan, it is my DUTY to tell it like it is, and not sugar-coat the turd.
    Faithful Rams fan since 1968

viper is offline Registered User

Most of us wouldn't be here in this place known as the Clanram if we weren't true and devoted fans. I am not questioning anyone's loyalty to the Rams.

My intention is merely to have everyone just take a step back and take a look at the general direction of the clan's discussions over the last several months. I too am frustrated with the state of our team right now and agree some frank discussion and critique are a healthy outlet. But, with the exception of a few, that seems to be all that anyone is talking about. It's getting depressing.

I'd just like to get some conversations going in a more positive direction at the same time. I mentioned a few positive things to watch for in my original post. Do you see ANY glimmer of hope to look forward to, whether it's this season or next? Are there any players that you'd like to see get some playing time, etc? Personally, I'd like to see Bartell on the field more and Jon Alston as well. I was pretty excited about picking him up during the draft. What happened there?

If you have any interest in discussions moving in this direction feel free to add your own thoughts here or start some of your own. The glass doesn't always have to be half empty...mine is half full!

Go Rams!!! :l
    Last edited by viper; -12-06-2006 at 06:42 PM.

Speak for yourself. I've been a Rams fan since the 1970s, so my expectations are certainly not governed by the 1998 to 1999 ascension. Rather, my expectations are governed by my assessment of the team's overall talent level relative to that of their competition.
    Doesn't apply to me certainly and if that comment is read correctly it wouldn't I think you'd see that it's not applying the dreaded term 'bandwagoner', which one of the less thoughtful posts saw fit to bandy about some time ago.

It's also not written to encourage lightweight comaprisons of how long anyone has been a fam of the Rams, which in of and as of itself, lends no weight to the veracity of anyone's comment.

I disagree wholeheartedly with posts that simplistically ascribe the failings of this team to one person.

I disagree with those who seem to think that we have the divine right to win irrespective of the lack talent on the roster.

I disagree with those who seem to discount the talent prevalent on other team's rosters or the effort the opposition might be making in trying to win the games themselves.

And finally I disagree with anyone who claims that a team that went 6-10 the season before should necessarily, given a new coaching staff, free agents and draftees, be expected to go 10-6.

But hey, that's just me....................

Quote Originally Posted by Fat Pang View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly with posts that simplistically ascribe the failings of this team to one person.
    Assuming you mean me, if you've actually read my posts, I do not blame Linehan alone for the Rams' failings. I can point to several problems (poor O line play, weak pass rush, lack of true run-stuffers) that are significant reasons for the Rams' problems.

I disagree with those who seem to think that we have the divine right to win irrespective of the lack talent on the roster.
    Not sure who thinks that way. Certainly, I don't.

I disagree with those who seem to discount the talent prevalent on other team's rosters or the effort the opposition might be making in trying to win the games themselves.
    Again, not sure who does that. I certainly do not. However, if the Rams play on their home field against a team that, objectively viewed, has comparble talent, I expect the Rams to win more often than not.

And finally I disagree with anyone who claims that a team that went 6-10 the season before should necessarily, given a new coaching staff, free agents and draftees, be expected to go 10-6.
    The word "necessarily" does not fit here, but I did think the Rams could (not "would," but "could") go 10-6 this year. Last year, the Rams had injuries to Bulger, Bruce, Jackson, Little and Pisa and lost their Head Coach in the middle of the season. The absence of those factors alone were reasonable grounds to believe that the team would improve.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Most of us wouldn't be here in this place known as the Clanram if we weren't true and devoted fans. I am not questioning anyone's loyalty to the Rams. --Viper
    Well said, Viper. And I hear your sadness about it all too.

Yes, in effect, many of us have seen it all (a Rams fan of over 40 yrs here) and yet, it just hurts, precisely because of our zeal and devotion to our RAMS.

The current situation is far from causing any joy, of course. To some it makes them mad.

To me it's just a state of feeling sad. But I totally agree with your statement in the opening post, about the team being better next year! I hope we start by making the best out of these last few games...

GO RAMS... :\

Assuming you mean me, if you've actually read my posts, I do not blame Linehan alone for the Rams' failings. I can point to several problems (poor O line play, weak pass rush, lack of true run-stuffers) that are significant reasons for the Rams' problems.

Not sure who thinks that way. Certainly, I don't.

Again, not sure who does that. I certainly do not. However, if the Rams play on their home field against a team that, objectively viewed, has comparble talent, I expect the Rams to win more often than not.

The word "necessarily" does not fit here, but I did think the Rams could (not "would," but "could") go 10-6 this year. Last year, the Rams had injuries to Bulger, Bruce, Jackson, Little and Pisa and lost their Head Coach in the middle of the season. The absence of those factors alone were reasonable grounds to believe that the team would improve.
    To be honest AV, I didn't have you specifically in mind when I wrote any of my submissions to the thread. Granted, you are one of the more visible and outspoken of those who feel that Linehan isn't doing the kind of job you'd want him to be doing, but there are a lot more folks out there who've posted similar sentiments. Some of them none too constructively in my opinion.

My opinion is just one of those out there however.

I just think that in recognising the comprehensive nature of the challenges that this team faces, (you have in listing them) you must also recognise that it is unlikely that one man alone can be held responsible for either the challenges themselves or fixing them himself. Furthermore, we can't expect him to be able to do so in 12 games.

All we can ask for is for him to be able to assemble and lead a coaching staff which will put this team in the best opportunity to win in the medium to long term. That to me means more than a single season and probably more than two. It's at that stage that we'll be able to form a much better judgement of the man and his method.

This team has issues that go way beyond an injury list. Marc may have highlighted the real issues, in which case we're going to have a good opportunity to judge Linehan over the next 18 months.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast