Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Rambos

Thread: Alec Ogletree Putting Finishing Touches On Standout Rookie Season

Rambos is offline Registered User

Alec Ogletree Putting Finishing Touches On Standout Rookie Season

Jonathan Webb

For the last four years, even the most casual of Rams followers could likely identify the team’s leading tackler. Since his rookie season in 2009, James Laurinaitis has held a stranglehold on that statistic, and in typical seasons, no one has even threatened that mantle.

With the emergence of rookie LB Alec Ogletree, that has changed.

Buoyed by his 12-tackle performance last Sunday in Arizona, Ogletree is on the verge of surpassing Laurinaitis is a pair of categories.

His 121 tackles on the year gave him the season lead over veteran middle linebacker James Laurinaitis, who trails closely with 120. Laurinaitis has led the Rams in total tackles in each of his first four NFL seasons, and also owns the team’s rookie record of 144 stops 2009. Ogletree appears poised to overtake both of those distinctions.

“Each week he does something that surprises you,” Fisher said. “You say, ‘Wow’ on a positive side. He’s tackled very well, got off blocks, ran much better this week in his pass coverage and things than he was last week.

Ogletree has established himself as a unique talent who has avoided the ‘rookie’ wall that often affects first-year players unaccustomed to the rigors of a 16-game season. Instead of seeing his level of play wane in the final month of the season, Ogletree’s production has surged over the past three weeks. His tackle totals in the last three weeks have been 15, 12 and 12, respectively.

“I definitely am in a different place,” Ogletree said. “From week to week, I just try to get better and from the first week, I feel a lot more comfortable with our schemes.

The first-round draft choice out of Georgia wasted no time in being a major factor in the Rams’ defensive unit. In addition to being a sturdy tackler from the outside linebacker position, Ogletree has shown a nose for the football this year. His four forced fumbles are the most by a Rams linebacker since Pisa Tinoisamoa in 2003. He also has one interception, which was returned 98 yards for a touchdown in Week 6 in Houston.

Ogletree’s place in Rams history has not been lost on the first-year linebacker. Since learning of Laurinaitis’ 144 tackles as a rookie in 2009, Ogletree has been in hot pursuit.

“I’m trying to break his (rookie) record that he set,” Ogletree said. “I can definitely say that.” Love that and I bet he tells JL that every day!

His work in defending the passing game may receive its most significant test this week, when he may be tasked with defending New Orleans tight end Jimmy Graham. While Ogletree faced off against Dallas’ Jason Witten and Atlanta’s Tony Gonzalez, in addition to the *****’ Vernon Davis, Graham represents a player at the peak of his career in the midst of what is arguably the league’s most dangerous passing offense.

“It’s definitely a big challenge to have one of the best quarterbacks in the league and putting the ball in the right spot,” Ogletree said. “We’ll have to come up and make a few plays this week. We may have to double-team him, but when the time comes, we’ll figure it out.”

Based on his production through 13 weeks as a professional, there has been little Ogletree hasn’t figured out so far.
    Randart likes this.

citr92 is offline Registered User

Re: Alec Ogletree Putting Finishing Touches On Standout Rookie Season

good to see ogletree getting that many tackles, just wish a better season went along with it, didn't know he had THAT many tackles, phew!

lookout laurinaitis! lol

Trevor is offline Registered User

According to NFL.com and ESPN, JL has 96 combined tackles and Alec Ogletree has 94 tackles. Am I missing something?

Rambos is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    According to NFL.com and ESPN, JL has 96 combined tackles and Alec Ogletree has 94 tackles. Am I missing something?
    The only thing I can think of is Jonathan Webb who writes for the Rams is using the coaches stats kept by the Rams coaches.

Fortuninerhater is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    Yes, that would be 27 tackles for Ogletree, and 24 for Laurinaitas.

NJ Ramsfan1 is offline Registered User

Great job drafting this guy. They certainly hit the nail on the head.

vanillasue is offline Registered User

Lot's of folks on this board wanted the Rams to draft Ogletree and that pick was never controversial - Looks like this one is going to be solid for years. Great job this year for Alec.