Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

Alex Barron -a bust?

As I was browsing before becoming a member, I saw that somebody had posted that they thought a college player may become a bust like Alex Barron. Is that how you all feel or does he just need to iron out the false starts?

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Alex Barron -a bust?

Quote Originally Posted by SWFCRAM View Post
    As I was browsing before becoming a member, I saw that somebody had posted that they thought a college player may become a bust like Alex Barron. Is that how you all feel or does he just need to iron out the false starts?
    That was one fans opinion. I don't happen to share it, but if that is what that fan thinks, so be it. Does Barron need to be a little more mentally "in the game"? His dizzying number of false starts would say YES. However, he is far from a bust, if you ask me.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

txramsfan is offline Registered User

first off, welcome to the clan. Second, I wouldn't call him a bust but I do wish he'd learn to count.

SWFCRAM is offline Registered User

He looks promising on the games I've seen on cable TV over here. My worry is that he was one of the players that Bulger was probably referring to in his outburst at the end of last season.

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

He looks promising on the games I've seen on cable TV over here. My worry is that he was one of the players that Bulger was probably referring to in his outburst at the end of last season.
    I think you are right in that assumption, but he is a good player who has the potential to become a Pro Bowler.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

Barron claimed he was not one of the players Bulger was referring too, but that obviously has to be taken with a grain of salt. The guy drives me nuts because he's shown flashes of brilliance at times, only to revert to poor play and a lack of concentration. He has the physical tools and the ability to be a solid anchor on the line, but he has got to get his head on straight, THIS YEAR or he just may become a bust.

1st & Goal is offline Registered User

At some point he will need to put up or shut up. A player in the NFL does not last long when they do not reach the expectation placed on them. the word potential is a killer, when you do not seem to reach the level expected. barron has the size, speed, and has shown the demeanor to be an above average RT. As with most borderline players it comes down to the mental side of the game. Nothing is worst than a drive killing penalty. Barron had his share last year, and should be put on a short leash during training camp.
    "I was the originator of smack. Some guys rattle with smack; with other guys it rolls right off their shoulders like nothing. "
    -Deacon Jones

maineram is offline Registered User

I think he is intimidatated by some of the talent during some games. There are times that you'll never hear his name called, other times he is just intimidated by the opposing player and feels he needs that first jump. He just doesn't have, or didn't have, the mental discipline at times. The guy is a huge beast, at some point in the near future (GULP) he will be dictating the contact not reacting to it.

If he was a bust his name would be Jimmy Kennedy and would have one good play out of ten.

Maineram -
    and out of the ashes rise ...The Breakfast Club !

chipperjones is offline Registered User

He's done great blocking the likes of Strahan, Gabaja Biamilia , and others. His only problem, as previously stated, is learning the count. So no, he isn't a bust.

RealRam is offline Registered User

He has the physical tools and the ability to be a solid anchor on the line, but he has got to get his head on straight, THIS YEAR or he just may become a bust. --R8rh8rmike
    That pretty much dictates the fair ultimatum for Alex. Hopefully this could be his year though, "The Year of the Barron" where he may reduce the false starts by at least 66% and do what he ought to do well: concentrate, protect his QB, and be a solid T rather than a bust.

Welcome to the Clan, SWFCRAM! :l

smizzhfx is offline Registered User

hopefully the introduction of our new quality control coach, keith murphy, will work with alex to cut down on the false starts.

Country is offline Registered User

This thread is verging on ridiculous.

Can anyone name me a better RT in the NFC or the NFL?

Alex Barron takes to many 5 yard penalties, but rarely gives up a sack and blocked for Steven Jackson's monster year.

keith m. klink Guest

Maybe he had too many false starts, and maybe killed a drive or two. but i think, maybe if we look at 14 false starts (i think thats what he had) is 70 yards, in 16 games. but how many big pass interferance , or unsportsman like penalties that really helped other teams win games were made. and i'm not taking anything away from these mistakes , but they are just that. and the presure to be the savior at RT was a little nerve wracking i'm sure. the constant thinking of trying not to make a mistake causes you to overthink what you have been taught , to go on instinct. and barron just got caught up in his own head. don't be surprised to see him in the pro-bowl this year or next. and i think COUNTRY said it all .

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by keith m. klink View Post
    Maybe he had too many false starts, and maybe killed a drive or two. but i think, maybe if we look at 14 false starts (i think thats what he had) is 70 yards, in 16 games. but how many big pass interferance , or unsportsman like penalties that really helped other teams win games were made. and i'm not taking anything away from these mistakes , but they are just that. and the presure to be the savior at RT was a little nerve wracking i'm sure. the constant thinking of trying not to make a mistake causes you to overthink what you have been taught , to go on instinct. and barron just got caught up in his own head. don't be surprised to see him in the pro-bowl this year or next. and i think COUNTRY said it all .
    Although 14 false starts is alot for any one player it goes deeper than that.
    What were the situations when the false starts were called?

Last drive of the game needing a score to win? Down and distance? etc....

Don't take me wrong, in no way do I think Barron is a bust. However he needs to improve in the false start area for sure.

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by Country View Post
    This thread is verging on ridiculous.

Can anyone name me a better RT in the NFC or the NFL?
    Jordan Gross? Jon Jansen? Jon Runyan? Kareem McKenzie? Todd Weiner? That's not including the number in the AFC I'd rate over Barron as well.

His penalties are DESTRUCTIVE and his blocking isn't as good as some believer. Let's not forget he gave up nearly nine sacks last season, and the right side of the line was clearing not as strong blocking for Jackson as the interior or left side.

Behind the right side of the line, Jackson ran 86 times for 296 yards and a 3.4 ypc average. Compare that to the 4.4 and 5.5 ypc averages he had on the left side and up the middle, respectively.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -03-29-2008, 10:12 PM