Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    39thebeast is offline Registered User

Alex Barron, is he as bad as some say?

If you look past the 3million penalties he commits a year you see he has only given up 3.5 sacks, which is less than many tackles on the pro-bowl roster. He was the only started who didn't get hurt and he did an admirable job at LT if you consider the fact he is a better RT and probably will play better there. I still have faith in this guy.

HUbison is online now Superbowl MVP

Re: Alex Barron, is he as bad as some say?

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If you look past the 3million penalties he commits a year you see he has only given up 3.5 sacks, which is less than many tackles on the pro-bowl roster. He was the only started who didn't get hurt and he did an admirable job at LT if you consider the fact he is a better RT and probably will play better there. I still have faith in this guy.
    Apparently you have forgotten the 11th Commandment.....Thou shalt blast Alex Barron and turn a blind eye towardth his post snap performance.

Too many penalties? You bet! That big ape better start learning the snap count. However, he actually has done a pretty good job of........blocking. Everybody remembers blocking, right? You know, that thing that most of our linemen don't do, but all of them get paid to do?
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Keenum is offline Registered User

He is a very good player, but he just has a lack of disipline when it comes to the offensive calls.
    If he doesn't get all those false starts, he would be talked about as being one of the top tackles.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

2 grades

Snap count awareness = F

Physical abilities = B

Ramer is offline Registered User

I think he is a good player, just needs to be patient with the snap count. Hopefully being a year older he will be a little more disciplined.

Nick is online now Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by 39thebeast View Post
    If you look past the 3million penalties he commits a year you see he has only given up 3.5 sacks
    Where did you find this information? According to Scouts Inc, he's gave up over 14 sacks in two seasons prior to '07.

I think Barron is generally overrated by Rams fans. He's a decent but hardly great right tackle, a pretty inconsistent player, and I don't think he has the self-motivation and work ethic to ever take his game to the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    I think Barron is generally overrated by Rams fans.
    Overrated?!?! You would think this guy farted in church the way most fans hack on him.

It's times like this that I wish we had access to coaches' game grades for the lineman.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison View Post
    Overrated?!?! You would think this guy farted in church the way most fans hack on him.
    You think fans give him a hard time? I'm not so sure. I've been involved in many Barron discussions and my impression is that the general Rams fan consensus seems to be that, yes, the false starts are devastating, but many fans think if Barron found a way to cut those out of his game, he'd be an excellent tackle. I'm really not so sure I see that.

I've not been incredibly impressed with what I've seen from him as a former first round pick tackle, and he continues to be described by people-in-the-know as immature and someone who doesn't like to lift weights even though he'd benefit from some bulk. It seems as if fans have forgotten that this is the same guy widely recognized as one of the players Bulger called out in 2006.

Mooselini is offline Registered User

I think he can be better next season. Just let him learn and he'll do great

eldfan is offline Registered User

I think he is a solid RT. He was ask to play out of position last season. This team OL was a mess Alex was not the weak link of a weak OL.
    :ramlogo:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    You think fans give him a hard time? I'm not so sure. I've been involved in many Barron discussions and my impression is that the general Rams fan consensus seems to be that, yes, the false starts are devastating, but many fans think if Barron found a way to cut those out of his game, he'd be an excellent tackle. I'm really not so sure I see that.

I've not been incredibly impressed with what I've seen from him as a former first round pick tackle, and he continues to be described by people-in-the-know as immature and someone who doesn't like to lift weights even though he'd benefit from some bulk. It seems as if fans have forgotten that this is the same guy widely recognized as one of the players Bulger called out in 2006.
    Well, Nick my friend, there's no way to quantify it, so I'll guess we'll just have to see it differently. However, I'd say Barron has taken and continues to take a beating from Rams fans. Maybe even deservedly so........I mean he leads the planet in false starts.

And disregarding the false starts (as the original poster intended), Barron has been a decent RT. Jamaal Brown is better. Several other RTs around the league are better as well. However, this is the Rams we're talking about........there's not a strong recent history of RT play. Without the false starts, he is at the very least an upgrade from where we've been.

Having said all that....I too am bothered by the reports that question his work ethic. Wasted potential is a frustrating concept for fans and coaches alike. And, IMO, Jake Long could either 1) supplant, or 2) light a fire under Barron by the end of the training camp. Either way, that move would create a situation where a 1st round OT is on the bench, BUT our RT would be improved.

Chris58 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by eldfan View Post
    I think he is a solid RT. He was ask to play out of position last season. This team OL was a mess Alex was not the weak link of a weak OL.
    As I recall, his natural position in college was LT and because Pace was there already, there was a question of whether he would make the change to RT okay. He has shown he an play both with some semblance of competence.

He just doesn't show any consistent fire on game day. Maybe this is a reflection of his lack of intensity that others point to with regards to his work ethic in the gym and on the field.

I'm not sure the Rams have a quick fix here. He's been in the NFL long enough to "get it" but he just doesn't seem to take the next step. Yet who de we have that can step in to replace him?

RealRam is offline Registered User

You're right Chris. Barron accepted moving to RT and was very willing to help there, but ... just hasn't been able to shake that false start monkey off his back.

I am one of those that, as Nick pointed, was a believer in The Barron as excellent (in due time). Now, I can only hope he improves on that obvious weakness and that he thus becomes an average, reliable Tackle.

Come on Alex! You can do it! :bash:

bigredman is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I think Barron is generally overrated by Rams fans. He's a decent but hardly great right tackle, a pretty inconsistent player, and I don't think he has the self-motivation and work ethic to ever take his game to the next level.
    First, I definitely disagree that Ram fans overrate Barron. My review of opinion shows most Ram fans view Barron as a marginal offensive lineman. Nothing special.

I will defend him insofar that in today's NFL, playing the line, especially tackle, is probably one of the most difficult positions to learn (blind side tackle being first, center second).

I think he did an admirable job in replacing a pro-bowl tackle in Pace last year (big shoes for anyone to fill), and I believe he can take that experience back to the right side and improve. What is missing for Barron is a mentor. Someone to grab his attention and spark his ambition. He has the physical tools to be one of the greats.

Linemen who continually false start, in my experience, lack self confidence and doubt their ability to contain the opponent on the other side of the line of scrimmage. They try to gain an advantage by getting off as quickly as possible to get that extra step.

I believe our biggest problem has been that the Rams need to get an offensive line coach that can communicate and inspire today's young lineman. Next, we need some luck to keep a crew together for an entire season. The patch work, leap frog, survival mode we went through last year with our offensive line would tax any team.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

However, I'd say Barron has taken and continues to take a beating from Rams fans.
    Yes, he takes heat, but the vast majority of criticisms are about penalties. My point is that he's overrated by fans when it comes to actually blocking on the field. Probably should have made that more clear.

And disregarding the false starts (as the original poster intended), Barron has been a decent RT.
    ...which I said in my first response ("He's a decent but hardly great right tackle").

However, this is the Rams we're talking about........there's not a strong recent history of RT play. Without the false starts, he is at the very least an upgrade from where we've been.
    Agreed. But can we both agree that he's not lived up to expectations thus far in his career? You don't spend first round picks on "decent" players, and frankly, that's all Barron has been thus far. Though he's been an upgrade over the likes of John St. Clair and Grant Williams, he certainly hasn't been the upgrade we expected him to be, and IMO, he's not been so substantial of an upgrade to actually lock that job down.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    First, I definitely disagree that Ram fans overrate Barron. My review of opinion shows most Ram fans view Barron as a marginal offensive lineman. Nothing special.
    Well, we can agree to disagree about this then. Just in this thread we've had someone say that, if he fixed the false starts, he'd be mentioned in conversations as one of the league's top tackles. I've had similar discussions with Rams fans on other boards. Frankly, even ignoring the penalties, I don't think he's at that caliber yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bigredman View Post
    I will defend him insofar that in today's NFL, playing the line, especially tackle, is probably one of the most difficult positions to learn (blind side tackle being first, center second).
    So that makes it, what, the third hardest position out of five possibilities on the O-line?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. -02-22-2008, 12:05 AM