Leics_Ram is offline Registered User

Alex Barron and the penalties

Ok, so he might have potential at RT, but how long can we allow him to keep giving away such soft penalties?

It's really starting to hurt us. We got away with it against Jax, but not yesterday. He just seems so nervous he's unable to keep calm at the line of scrimmage.

I can see he has talent, but what's the solution in the short-term?

RamWraith is offline Registered User

Re: Alex Barron and the penalties

We have to give the kid some time to settle in. The line isn't something you learn over night. Half our problem is as a team we put so much pressure on these kids that they never have any success with us and move on to anther team and play pretty darn well.

Give the kid a break this year.

dgr828 is offline Registered User

It's Something About The Right Tackle Position.
    Rex Tucker Was Having The Same Problems.
    Also Blaine Saipaia Has Had His Problems While He Was In.
    Even Orlando Pace Has Made His Share Of Penalties.
    For A Rookie, Alex Barron Is Doing A Fine Job!
    He'll Hear Plenty Enough About His Mistakes This Week At Practice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

HUbison is offline Superbowl MVP

Ok, so he might have potential at RT, but how long can we allow him to keep giving away such soft penalties?
    And what would the alternative be? Tucker, Saipaia? Barron is the ONLY answer right now, so patience while he figures it out is pretty much all the Rams can do at this point.
    "Before the gates of excellence the high gods have placed sweat; long is the road thereto and rough and steep at first; but when the heights are reached, then there is ease, though grievously hard in the winning." --- Hesiod

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

The difference is, while Barron has had mort than his share of problems with penalties, he isn't getting beat.

The others (Tucker, Sapaia, G.Williams, St. Clair, Tercero) frequently got beat, leading to big hits on Bulger.

rammiser is offline Registered User

Avenger I agree 100%. Barron is making mental mistakes on the penalties but the alternative to him is Bulger getting leveled and not having time to throw. Barron didnt kill the Rams yesterday the offenses inability to get in the endzone killed them. If leic_ram wants Barron out maybe he should go back to last years film of Bulger getting hammered and pressured from that side. He's a rookie he will be fine.
    Just Fix It

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Barron is doing a fine job, Unfortunately I doubt he'll see his first Playoff game his rookie year!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

adarian_too is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by HUbison
    Barron is the ONLY answer right now, so patience while he figures it out is pretty much all the Rams can do at this point.
    This is like dancing with the devil you know rather than the devil you don't. Or damned if you do and damned if you dont. Or it's a no win situation. Or, oh forget the cliches.

He has blocked better than the rest. But he is also playing thicker than the rest. Is this 3 games in a row with at least 3 penalties in each?

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. Oh yeah, I said I'd stop with the cliches. He needs to be held accountable. He needs his feet held to the fire. He needs to concentrate more. He needs to focus. He needs patien ... [CRACK. Thud.] {That'll learn him to keep flappin' 'is gums.}

AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

I agree he needs to learn to play with more discipline. But that can be taught and improved.

Talent you either have or you don't.

Tailgage-Mayor is offline Registered User

Barron is fine; he’ll learn to count by his second year. We have more serious issues, still can’t stop the rush, and still can’t score in the red zone.

It seems there is this weird paradox where the closer we are to the goal line, the more difficulty we have scoring! Not sure if it’s statistically true, but it certainly seems to be the case.

Many folks attribute this difficulty to a wide open offense having trouble working with a compressed field, but Jackson and a rushing attack was supposed to change this.

Thoughts?