Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alex Be Quick

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

Alex Be Quick

I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but Alex Barron has been amazingly quick off the snap in the last several games, so much so that I often expect a false start penalty that never comes. His progression has been exponential this year and his concentration level has enabled him to be a step ahead of everyone else on the field and virtually eliminate his past penalty problems.

At a time when the Rams desperately needed Barron to solidify his position, he has more than held up his end of the bargain.

laram0 is offline Superbowl MVP

Re: Alex Be Quick

I haven't heard Barrons name mentioned much this season. Obviously that's a good thing. Way to go Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by laram0 View Post
    I haven't heard Barrons name mentioned much this season.
    Me neither. In fact, I've re-watched several of this years games the past week and besides being awed by Barrons ability to fire off the snap, I don't remember seeing him called for any penalties or many breakdowns in protection.

MASSIVE Guest

Alex sure has improved but with his physical attributes he should still be alot better, but I think in time he and Cog are going to dominate. I hate to ask but what is up with the rest of the O-Line?:\

ImJohnWayne is offline Awaiting Email Conformation

so is Cog our Center of the future or is he moving back to gaurd at the end of the season?

MASSIVE Guest

Quote Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne View Post
    so is Cog our Center of the future or is he moving back to gaurd at the end of the season?
    Don't get me wrong I love Andy but I think Cog should stay at center.

Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    I hate to ask but what is up with the rest of the O-Line?:\
    For one thing, Pace still does not look right.

bigredman Guest

Very good post my friend. Barron has been very good at his position. While Pace has struggled due to his concussion, the "outside boys" on the offensive line have done pretty well. We need to address the interior line next year.

general counsel is offline Registered User

we need a stud guard. setterstrom may or may not be one guy. same with terrell. but steussie wont be a starter and my gut tells me this is the last year that timmerman is a starter even if he doesnt retire. I think we will be looking in free agency to spend money on a guard.

ramming speed to all

general counsel

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

I'm not sure Barron is playing exponentially better than he did last season. He's cut his false start number (only two through six games), but I believe he's on pace to allow the same number of sacks as he did as a rookie. Of course, that's not to say he's playing poorly. He should only get better and has definitely plugged a big hole at the right tackle position despite his limited pro experience.

That being said, I think he needs to improve as a run blocker because I don't think he regularly gets much push on that side of the line. Just going back and watching the first two drives of the Seattle game, I'm underwhelmed by what Barron did in the running game. He still in some respects looks like a left tackle trying to play on the right side, IMO.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    I'm not sure Barron is playing exponentially better than he did last season. He's cut his false start number (only two through six games), but I believe he's on pace to allow the same number of sacks as he did as a rookie. Of course, that's not to say he's playing poorly. He should only get better and has definitely plugged a big hole at the right tackle position despite his limited pro experience.

That being said, I think he needs to improve as a run blocker because I don't think he regularly gets much push on that side of the line. Just going back and watching the first two drives of the Seattle game, I'm underwhelmed by what Barron did in the running game. He still in some respects looks like a left tackle trying to play on the right side, IMO.
    While I think Barron looks much stronger in his discipline and pass protection from last year, I agree his run blocking still has a ways to go. In all fairness to Barron though, no one on the line is exactly lighting it up in the run blocking department.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

but didnt Barron only play about 12 games as a rookie?
    or did you factor that into your calculations Nick?

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but Alex Barron has been amazingly quick off the snap in the last several games, so much so that I often expect a false start penalty that never comes. His progression has been exponential this year and his concentration level has enabled him to be a step ahead of everyone else on the field and virtually eliminate his past penalty problems.

At a time when the Rams desperately needed Barron to solidify his position, he has more than held up his end of the bargain.
    I agree, now if the rest of the line can follow behind we will be ok.
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Nick is offline Superbowl MVP

Quote Originally Posted by r8rh8rmike View Post
    While I think Barron looks much stronger in his discipline and pass protection from last year, I agree his run blocking still has a ways to go. In all fairness to Barron though, no one on the line is exactly lighting it up in the run blocking department.
    Agreed, it's an issue the entire line has to work on, including Alex.

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    but didnt Barron only play about 12 games as a rookie?
    or did you factor that into your calculations Nick?
    That's a good point that I missed. While Barron is on pace to allow the same number of sacks as he did his rookie year, he's projected to do it over 16 games this season whereas he did it over 12 last year. Nice job catching that.
    ClanRam ModCast: Episode Four
    Rams Discussion Right at Your Fingertips!

RealRam is offline Registered User

Originally Posted by ImJohnWayne
    -- IJWayne
    Quote Originally Posted by MASSIVE View Post
    Don't get me wrong I love Andy but I think Cog should stay at center.
    This is (was) probably McCollum's last year as a starter and Incognito seems to be doing fine at center, especially since he was thrown into the heat of battle with very limited playing time at that position and very limited practice there.

Agreed, Alex has been playing 'The Quiet Barron' for most of this season; he's just doing his job as a pass protector / body guard. That's one less concern as opposed to last year's penalty problem at RT.

Now if Pace could just hang in there, do his best and Steussie & Timmerman play strong at guard, perhaps we can salvage the season in this department.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast