MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Alexander makes his case ..

BY JIM THOMAS
    Friday, September 2, 2011 12:30 am

JACKSONVILLE, FLA. • For Danario Alexander, it has never been a question of whether he can play at this level. He can play - and he can make plays. The issue has always been whether his left knee can hold up after five surgeries.

But just before the Rams' coaching staff started the tough process of whittling down the wide receiver corps to six - maybe seven - on the 53-man roster, Alexander left a reminder of what he can do on a football field.

With the Rams nursing a four-point lead early in the fourth quarter Thursday, he got behind the Jacksonville secondary on a deep route down the left sideline. The result was a 43-yard reception on third-and-5, carrying the Rams to the Jaguars 6. Two plays later, rookie running back Chase Reynolds scored on a 1-yard touchdown run, giving the Rams a 21-10 lead in a game they eventually won 24-17.

"It felt good to try to stretch the defense a little bit, get over the top and get a deep ball," Alexander said. " I wish I could've got that first one back, but you know, you just try to make up for it."

In the second quarter, Alexander couldn't quite hang onto an A.J. Feeley toss on a fade pattern. He had some other near misses over the course of the preseason, including a touchdown against Indianapolis that was overturned on a replay booth review.

Which prompted the question, has Alexander been pressing just a bit this preseason?

"I'm not really sure," he said. "But I have battled through with this knee, through my first camp. I'm glad I made it out, and I look forward to seeing what's going to happen the next few days."

The Rams must cut the roster from 80 players to 53 by Saturday afternoon.

"I'm not worried about it all," he said. "Whatever happens, happens. I'll be willing to just keep pushing forward. As long as I got my wheels and can outrun the defense, I'll be out there."

Gabbert's day

Alexander spoke with his former quarterback at the University of Missouri, Blaine Gabbert, both before and after Thursday's game.

"He looked good," Alexander said.

Entering the game midway through the third quarter for Jacksonville, Gabbert completed nine of 18 passes for 132 yards, leading the Jaguars to a field goal and a touchdown in four series. Gabbert threw twice into the end zone at the end of the game for a potential game-tying TD. But both passes fell incomplete - the last coming as time expired.

"There were definitely ups and downs," Gabbert said, when asked about his preseason as a whole. "Like I said all along, we're going to make mistakes. As a whole, I have to look at it as a success, coming in at the time I did, having no offseason, having no rookie minicamps. And being able to learn the playbook and getting a bunch of meaningful snaps in all of our preseason games, it's got to be a success."

Injury update

Defensive end James Hall tweaked his lower back on a first-quarter hit of Jaguars quarterback David Garrard. Although the injury wasn't serious, Hall was done for the night.

Laurinaitis sits

The Rams decided to play it safe with middle linebacker James Laurinaitis and his strained pectoral muscle. He was on the pregame inactive list, although he warmed up with the team during pregame. Also scratched were: TE Michael Hoomanawanui (calf), DT Fred Robbins (back), and center/guard Drew Miller (ankle). In addition, DT Justin Bannan didn't make the trip; his wife is about to have a baby. Newly signed WR Mark Clayton (knee) was placed on the physically unable to perform/active list, meaning he wasn't eligible to play Thursday.

tomahawk247 is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander makes his case ..

I have to say, while Alexander does make the big play every now and then, he isn't very consistent...

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by tomahawk247 View Post
    I have to say, while Alexander does make the big play every now and then, he isn't very consistent...
    At least he is making some big plays.

r8rh8rmike is offline Superbowl MVP

DX is a home run hitter, and teams covet home run hitters. His fate will come down to the Rams confidence in the knee.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by R8rh8rmike View Post
    DX is a home run hitter, and teams covet home run hitters. His fate will come down to the Rams confidence in the knee.
    The knee, the knee. Danario 'Dah'nee' Alexander.

Here's hoping his knee won't be an issue anymore. Tall, fragile order at 6-5".

Rambos is offline Registered User

I got to say he made my final roster last night when he flat out blew by the DB that was covering him twice. Made one catch and dropped the second. But he shown he has the burst to get behind the DB. I hope he makes it!

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

Here's my take on it: Look at the games last year where we really got him involved in our offense. Forget stats for a minute, and try to think of the impact he had on our offense. There was always the threat of him breaking a long ball, or taking a short ball and turning it into something big. I know opposing defenses had to have planning around that. If we cut him, we may lose that part of our offense.