Rambos is offline Registered User

Alexander shines in his return

BY BILL COATS
    • Hardly a patient bystander, Rams wide receiver Danario Alexander was itching to suit up a week ago against Atlanta just three weeks after the fifth operation on his left knee.

"I've been just sitting back waiting," said Alexander, the former Mizzou record-setter. "I wanted to play last week real bad, but I think it was good, giving my knee a little more time to heal."

Whether the extra rest made the difference, the Rams pushed the Alexander button at the right time. Inserted into the lineup Sunday for the first time since having surgery Oct. 29 to repair cartilage damage, Alexander torched Denver for 95 yards on four catches in a 36-33 Rams victory.

"When I see the ball going up to him, I'm extremely excited," guard Jacob Bell said. "It doesn't seem like he catches anything under 20 yards. That's nice to have."

The Rams were trailing 13-7 early in the second quarter when Alexander got involved and the offense, not coincidentally, began to click.

His first catch went for 12 yards and a first down at the Denver 19. His second, three snaps later, covered 14 yards to the 1. The Rams then took their first lead on a 2-yard toss from Sam Bradford to tight end Billy Bajema.

It marked the first NFL touchdown for Bajema, a six-year veteran. "It's been a long time coming," he said. But Bajema wasn't done yet, thanks again in large part to Alexander.

After a Denver three-and-out, Bradford found Alexander streaking down the left sideline for a 45-yard gain. Two plays later, Bradford and Bajema hooked up again, this time for a 26-yard score.

"He's a tough nut, Billy," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "I'm sure he feels bad about the drop, but it was nice to see him bounce back."

Bajema had botched a short toss from Bradford earlier in the drive that resulted in his first TD. Alexander picked him up with his 12-yard, third-down grab on the next play to keep the march going.

"Any time you have a play you'd like to have back it's good when you can go on and kind of redeem yourself," Bajema said. "So I was real happy they went back to me and I was able to make a couple of plays."

Rookie tight end Michael Hoomanawanui also had a TD, on a 36-yard pass play in the first quarter, before leaving with an ankle injury. Bajema, Hoomanawanui and fellow tight end Daniel Fells combined for six catches and 101 yards.

Alexander's fourth catch came early in the fourth quarter. It covered 24 yards and took the Rams to the Denver 10. That possession ended with a 26-yard Josh Brown field goal and a 36-20 advantage.

It tightened up after that, but this time the Rams held on. "We had to fight to the end, and that's what we did," Alexander said.

Alexander had his fourth operation after getting hurt in practice for the Senior Bowl in February. He wasn't drafted, and the Rams didn't sign him to a free-agent deal until Aug. 22. While he worked to strengthen his leg, Alexander spent the first five weeks of the season on the practice squad.

He finally was deemed ready Oct. 17 vs. San Diego, and he enjoyed a scintillating debut. Alexander had four receptions for 72 yards, including a diving 38-yard TD grab, in a 20-17 Rams victory. He added one catch for 6 yards the next Sunday at Tampa Bay.

During practice the following Friday, he tweaked his knee and had surgery that afternoon. Then came more waiting, until the Rams turned him loose vs. the Broncos.

"I've been through a lot, a lot of adversity, and for me to still be here and be able to produce, it's tremendous," Alexander said. "The coaches had a great game plan for me, and I tried to make every play that they called for me."

Alexander now has nine receptions for 173 yards and a team-high 19.2 yards per catch.

The 6-foot-5, 215-pound rookie "adds a little more size to our usual receiving corps," Bradford said. "And then he's got some speed that allows us to do some things down the field."

On Sunday, those things turned into points for the Rams.

"The kid's making plays every time he's on the field; he's obviously pretty special," Bell said. "We're happy to have him, we need to keep him healthy ... and let's get that kid the ball."

Rambos is offline Registered User

Re: Alexander shines in his return

Another play that will not get mentioned was the pass interference called, he was being held. If the DB does not grab him it might have been six. I'm really excited about this guy, he is something special. I don’t know how it will all work out in the end but I for one will enjoy every catch he makes as a Ram and I hope it’s a lot. He has all the tools to be great, speed, size, strength and hands. He's just a play maker and a nightmare for a DB. Stay healthy!!!
    Last edited by Rambos; -11-29-2010 at 07:38 PM.

r8rh8rmike is online now Superbowl MVP

"The kid's making plays every time he's on the field; he's obviously pretty special," Bell said. "We're happy to have him, we need to keep him healthy ... and let's get that kid the ball."
    I was thinking along the same lines that DX makes more out of his time on the field than any player I've seen in a long time.

He just impresses the hell out of me with his tough mental attitude and desire to succeed, which he has obviously done in his limited time. I would agree that he is special.

"We need to keep him healthy" is right, because the offense is an entirely different animal when he's in there.

MACD is offline Registered User

The thought of him AND Clayton healthy and on the field together is exciting...No wonder our tight ends were catching so many passes. DX changes the whole dynamics of our passing game.

supachump is offline Registered User

Man, I hope he can stay healthy. He has so much potential.

Sammy Ocho Bradford is offline Registered User

Has his knee problems been a series of fluke injuries or does he has some sort of degenerative problem?

Ramendola16 is offline Registered User

This kid is just awesome. I literally squealed a little when I saw him convert that 3rd & 9 on what was really a 5 yard slant. You could see the desire emanating from him as he pushed through TWO Broncos on his way to the conversion. He's special. Now, to keep him healthy...

Trevor is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy Ocho Bradford View Post
    Has his knee problems been a series of fluke injuries or does he has some sort of degenerative problem?
    I would say fluke, its not like he has some disease that wears out his knees.

mcpeepants232003 is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    I would say fluke, its not like he has some disease that wears out his knees.
    It's clearly not a fluke. It's pretty obvious that Alexander is prone to knee injuries. You don't have 5 fluke knee injuries.

RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

The cartilidge injury and meniscus injury are common football injuries ...

He tore his ACL, that was the first major injury. The cadaver ACL he had transplanted then failed. That was a fluke, but it is known to happen.

RealRam is offline Registered User

No doubt the potential is there with DX.

Now to see whether that knee holds up and gets stronger as he continues to play* or, if it colapses his career.

*. Or as he continues to practice. I sure hope he does not have a glass knee!

bruce4life is offline Registered User

Just stay healthy !!!!