AvengerRam is offline Moderator Emeritus

Alexander will get his yards; Its when he gets them that matters.

Look at Shaun Alexander's stats from the first two meetings with the Rams:

Game 1: 23 carries, 150 yards
    Game 2: 22 carries, 176 yards

You would think that, given these stats, the Hawks had won both games. Typically, success on the ground translates to wins. But, as we all know, this was not the case.

I think the key is when Alexander got his yards.

In the first game, Alexander had great success early. Then, as the Rams began their comeback, Holmgren inexplicably decided not to pound him and eat the clock, but rather to try to keep scoring by passing the ball. This gave the Rams sufficient time for their comeback.

In the second game, Alexander had 148 of his 176 yards after the Rams had taken a 17-0 lead. While he was very successful in moving the ball, the Rams were able to keep the Hawks out of the end zone, and Alexander ultimately had a key fumble on his longest run of the day.

The lesson learned is that the Rams can absorb big rushing totals by Alexander, as long as he is not able to dominate during key points of the game. In both games, when the Rams had their big scoring runs, Alexander was not able (or not given the opportunity) to stop them by controlling the ball and getting scores for the Hawks.

sbramfan Guest

Re: Alexander will get his yards; Its when he gets them that matters.

In the first game, Alexander had great success early. Then, as the Rams began their comeback, Holmgren inexplicably decided not to pound him and eat the clock, but rather to try to keep scoring by passing the ball. This gave the Rams sufficient time for their comeback.
    sufficient time for their comeback?

Alexander pounded away the game leaving only about 5:30 left, up by 17. 9 times out of 10, the fat lady was already singing...

Keep him to around 100 yards, and we're in good shape.

Shale Guest

Re: Alexander will get his yards; Its when he gets them that matters.

Yeah, I am not very big on "keys to the game." Every situation is different and if you look closely at what is going on you can usually see reasons for big numbers.

I am never going to be the guy that stands by a stat and says "hold so-and-so lower than x yards and we win the game," football simply isn't that cut and dry. I am a straight up "score more points than the other guy and you win" kind of fan.

That being said, I would prefer to see Alexander held to as few yards as possible. The weather is going to be nasty and catching the ball is going to be both painful and difficult (on both sides of the ball). Stop Alexander from pounding the ball on us and our chances increase tremendously.

Did I just spend the last minute stating the obvious?