Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tony Soprano is offline Registered User

AlL Hail the Haslett !! (Background)

Jim Haslett was a really good hire, IMO.
    The Rams looked into Tampa and Philly's DEF coord, and Washington's - they were locked up. So, in this thining field, they did an excellent job by picking up Haslett.

Haslett was the DEF COORD of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 97, 98, and 99.

In 97, The Steelers were #11 in Points allowed and #1 in Rushing yards allowed (a miniscule 3.0 ypc).

In 98, His Defense was #7 in points allowed.

In 99, He D was #12 and #3 in passing yards.

He had some really good talent, however, they had a turtle offense (the actual nickname) that didn't score many points and constantly relied on the Defense to keep them in the game. As opposed to a Colts D, that's gets to play with a nice lead and tee off with the Offense in predictable situations.

Haslett's Head Coaching experience is huge. IMO, it will make him a better coach. His 3 years in the battle scarred AFC Central as a DC and then his HC experience in New Orleans certainly has made him a valued assistant.

I can see Jimmy Kennedy being a stout Nose tackle at some point in the new future.

I don't think we could've done any better under the circumstances.

-T-

RamJackson39 is offline Registered User

Re: AlL Hail the Haslett !! (Background)

Nice to see you thinking positive. I'm excited about this hire, I really am. Scott Linehan and John Shaw have really impressed me here. I think the Rams will be serious contenders next season.
    The Roman and The Prince. Playmakers until the end.

Fat Pang is offline Registered User

Me too 39, I'm happy with the hire and confident he'll do a great job. He might be a limited by available talent but he'll get more out of them than the last incumbent.

We'll be competitive I think.

psycho9985 is offline Registered User

If you guys remember.In the Dallas Game the Rams D was smokin during the whole game,I think they told Marmie to stuff it on the last game of the season (maybe it was Vitt telling Marmie).Lets play the way we know how,because they didnt resemble anything they did all year.
    I thinking here that we have the guys,and now we have the DC.

My heart beats crazy and my blood runs wild

sbramfan is offline Registered User

Wow....

This is excellent. I've always liked Haslett, but I did not want him as our head coach because he just seemed to be a guy that couldn't win at the head coaching level. But everything I liked about him makes him perfect for being a defensive coordinator.

I think he will be challenged to succeed with the level of talent on this defense, but like Lovie did, as long as you have a scheme and you get everyone to buy in and throw their bodies in to make a tackle, vs. waiting for someone else to make the tackle, the defense can be decent. Having Jerametrius Butler back will be big, and perhaps they take one more chance on a Free Agent Linebacker.

Wow....this is such an excellent twist. I never really knew enough about Bates to get that excited about it, but I think this could be better. Haslett also brings Head Coaching experience that could be beneficial to Linehan, and if you look at defenses, I think it's safe to say that the Stealers and Saints, if they've had one thing working, it's been their defense. This guy knows smash mouth defense.

chiguy is offline Registered User

Why would you assume that Jimmy Kennedy would suddenly become an NFL caliber nose tackle? I hope so, but I've seen nothing to suggest its going to happen. He's had just a handful of even decent games and lost his starting job which, to be honest, seemed impossible given his backups.

RealRam is offline Registered User

You got it, Tony! :up: Very good and encouraging comments here on our new DC.

majorram is offline Registered User

like this thread, I confident that our New D will be in good hands, love Haslett demeanor, the fire, there won't be anymore missed tackles or I wouldn't want to be walking over to the side line...... man can this guy get in your face....

I for one was so peed off when martz was fired, but as the new Staff have been assembled I have been suprized:up: thumbs up to shaw

steve:clanram:
    "The breakfast Club"

OldRamsfan is offline Registered User

I'm feel povitive about the hire , I believe he will do well and he's better i my opinion than what we have been dealing with up to this point

Bourbon Finest is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Soprano
    Jim Haslett was a really good hire, IMO.
    The Rams looked into Tampa and Philly's DEF coord, and Washington's - they were locked up. So, in this thining field, they did an excellent job by picking up Haslett.

Haslett was the DEF COORD of the Pittsburgh Steelers in 97, 98, and 99.

In 97, The Steelers were #11 in Points allowed and #1 in Rushing yards allowed (a miniscule 3.0 ypc).

In 98, His Defense was #7 in points allowed.

In 99, He D was #12 and #3 in passing yards.

He had some really good talent, however, they had a turtle offense (the actual nickname) that didn't score many points and constantly relied on the Defense to keep them in the game. As opposed to a Colts D, that's gets to play with a nice lead and tee off with the Offense in predictable situations.

Haslett's Head Coaching experience is huge. IMO, it will make him a better coach. His 3 years in the battle scarred AFC Central as a DC and then his HC experience in New Orleans certainly has made him a valued assistant.

I can see Jimmy Kennedy being a stout Nose tackle at some point in the new future.

I don't think we could've done any better under the circumstances.

-T-

LOL@ That Homerism to the Finest..

Check at haslett def since 2001 and the rams got Venturi ALSO hhahahahahah..

Thanks rams your defense going to get worse ( if thats more possible)

BTW: Haslett sucks in short terms

RAMMAN68 is offline Registered User

@ That Homerism to the Finest..

Check at haslett def since 2001 and the rams got Venturi ALSO hhahahahahah..

Thanks rams your defense going to get worse ( if thats more possible)

BTW: Haslett sucks in short terms
    Ya, and the San Antonio, Los Angeles, New Orleans anits will win the Super Bowl in our life time. LOL
    JUST WIN ONE FOR THE FANS

"HIT HARD, HIT FAST, AND HIT OFTEN"
    Adm. William "Bull" Halsey

Speck Killer is offline Registered User

I can tell you one thing truthfully. Haslett will not get in a players face for doing bad. If there is one thing that was Haslett's demise, it was his lack of discipline. The team had no discipline or respect for Jim Haslett. Now, that is not to say that at the coordinator level things won't be different, but if you ask anyone what his main problem was, they will tell you discipline. It is so hard to believe because the man comes accross as being so fiery and hardnosed but it was the complete opposite. I will give you one other example of the no discipline. The Saints consistently lead the league in pre-snap penalties and turnovers. These are stats that scream undisciplined play. I wish you the best and wish we were still in the same division because things were just heating up good when the pulled the plug. Just wanted to give you an honest opinion of what you are getting with him. Luckily he is not your head coach so if Haslett is messing up, Linehan can do something about it.

RealRam is offline Registered User

Thanks, Speck. As you said, one would think that discipline would not be a coaching issue on the part of J. Haslett (especially as indicated by his image), but results with the Saints might just prove the contrary.

Your honesty and good wishes are appreciated, for sure. Welcome to ClanRam!

theodus69 is offline Registered User

Seemed to me in the years when the Rams and the aints were battling , that Hasslet was in everybodies face ,even opposing players. :clanram: I think this guy wil be good for this team,not only as a DC, but also as a consultant to the new King. Also Hasslet can step in as a coach down the line if Linehan can't cut the mustard!
    I stopped going to the dentist.......I got tired of the cavity searches!

Bourbon Finest is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by RAMMAN68
    Ya, and the San Antonio, Los Angeles, New Orleans anits will win the Super Bowl in our life time. LOL
    Actually we playin in New Orleans all next yr so get ur facts straight child.

If the rams of all team can win a SB and the seahawks can make it to one. The saints surely have a chance in the future.

I'm really soo happy alot of fans are happy to the siging of Haslett b.c like i said earlier, Your def WILL get worse (scary huh)

Come to saintsreport.com we are having a party of the signing of Venturi to the Rams. He may be the worst coord. of all time
    Last edited by Bourbon Finest; -01-25-2006 at 05:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast