Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RamsInfiniti is offline Registered User

For all the Haslett Haters ...

Keep on going. Really, we had to let Linehan go, and what was the alternative at this point? Well, you could have promoted Saunders, who hasn't had any head coaching experience in the last 25 years or so. Yes, he is quite the motivator, but I don't know if he the true fire to pull this team up by it's boot straps like Haslett might be able to do. Then, of course, you could go outside the orginization, but who are you going to get to come in here that won't want to install new assistants and systems? That would totally destory any chance to see fun football again this year, and would alienate the fans, as it would almost certainly yield a 1-15 or 2-14. Promote Ellard? That could go so badly that he may not even be welcome here anymore after this debacle was over. So, who was the only obvious choice? Haslett ...

Sure, go ahead, blast Haslett's defense. He is certainly at this stage not the best X's and O's guy. But look what else he brings to the table. The players like him, they like his attitude, they like his "general-like" persona. They seem to have quickly forgotten about Linehan and are working hard to prepare for the upcoming game against the Redskins. This guy has gotten Bulger back in the saddle, and is committed to see if he can truly be the guy or not. He has most certainly given Saunders 100% complete control over the offense, something we are not sure he had when Linehan was here. Haslett is a defensive guy, so he will likely keep his paws out the offensive cookie jar. He has already had a profound effect on Bulger's attitude, who recently came out and said enough of the crap, lets take some chances, and start fligging it around no matter the consequences.

Haslett has opened the practices to the media and the fans, and is making a conscience effort to get the city of St. Louis interested in the team again. He is willing to play the younger players, and to take chances, and made it very clear that he wants to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers, meaning Holt, Jackson, and Avery. He seems committed to analyzing this team from the bottom up, and deciding who can play and who cannot. He is looking for ways to utilize the veterans, like Glover and Little, by playing to their strengths by using them in passing downs, while letting the younger, more active, guys have a strong role in playing the run. It seems he is going to get Manning more involved, who seems to be an absolute psycho when it comes to playing the ball. He is actively trying to bring back Fakhir, who was our best corner, and can lend a touch of experience to the younger guys ...

I really don't see what the problem is here? So, he wsa struggling managing the defense from an X's and O's standpoint. Sure, Venturi has the same defensive philosophies as Haslett does, but maybe he is just a little better at dialing in the right calls at the right times. We'll just have to wait and see ...

For those that despise this move, please take the time and make the effort to explain what a better alternative might have been. I see alot of bashing of Haslett, but no real evidence as to why everyone thinks he will fail ...

It's his second chance. Alot of high profile coaches needed a second chance to suceed. He has started off making all the right moves. We know he cannot be worse than Linehan ....

So the question is? Why not give him a chance?

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Re: For all the Haslett Haters ...

Thank you so much for saying this. I completely agree, and to be honest, everyone can sit at their desk and bash all they want, but the simple fact remains; he has his chance, now we get to see what he can make out of it.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

I am skeptical but withholding judgment until I see at least a couple of games with him at the head.

rampower is offline Registered User

I agree. 4 weeks in this is the most feasable answer. Lets see what the man can do.

The question I want to ask is this;

If we hired the 'perfect' coach, how do we think our team would finish out the year.

We would all love 12-0 but I dont think that will happen whomever the coach. when thinking of what record you think haslett should achieve to stay on, just think of what he is working with, the fact he is head coach and not what he did as a D co-ordinator or a saint.

I guess I am quite fortunate in the fact I am quite good at eliminating emotion when I analise the situation. I did hate haslett when he was a saint. I did cringe whenwe hired him. But I will give him the benefit of the doubt for the rest of this season, there really isn't much else to choose from in my mind. Not till the off-season anyways.

I just hope if he cant do a good job we dont drag our heels at the seasons end.
    The Breakfast Club. You want cheese with that?

LA Rammer is offline Registered User

Haslett definitely deserves a chance! In that 2001 season, he beat the Rams although they were up 24-6 at half time. That team gave us some problems and probably gave belicheat a recipe to beat us along with the Bucs that year. Downside his team finished 7-9. He took the Aints to the playoffs and beat us in 2000. He is no Bill Cowher or Marty Schottenheimer, but until we can make that change lets support him for now.
    LA RAMMER

It's Jim not Chris
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HNgqQVHI_8

MauiRam is offline Pro Bowl Ram

Quote Originally Posted by RamsInfiniti View Post
    He has most certainly given Saunders 100% complete control over the offense, something we are not sure he had when Linehan was here. Haslett is a defensive guy, so he will likely keep his paws out the offensive cookie jar.
    I was wondering about this particular issue .. How were you made aware that Jim has turned the O over completely to Al? This was one of the questions I asked Gordo last Monday, but he didn't specifically answer the question. I am curious as to Jim and Al's relationship now that Jim is the boss .. I hope you are 100% correct about this!

Quote Originally Posted by MauiRam View Post
    I was wondering about this particular issue .. How were you made aware that Jim has turned the O over completely to Al? This was one of the questions I asked Gordo last Monday, but he didn't specifically answer the question. I am curious as to Jim and Al's relationship now that Jim is the boss .. I hope you are 100% correct about this!
    Just a guess on my part, but I cannot understand why a defensive minded coach such as Haslett would want to interject into an offensive genius' gameplan, especially when he has alot to lose.

Every indication seems to be that Has is going to do what a head coach is supposed to do, manage the team and personnel, and motivate. He'll let Venturi and Saunders handle the X's and O's ....
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-02-2008 at 01:09 PM.

rams2061 Guest

Our defense is one of the worst in the NFL and it has been since Haslett became the DC. I don't think Haslett is going to make a difference. He, along with Saunders, should have been fire when Linhan was fired.

Quote Originally Posted by rams2061 View Post
    Our defense is one of the worst in the NFL and it has been since Haslett became the DC. I don't think Haslett is going to make a difference. He, along with Saunders, should have been fire when Linhan was fired.
    Again, let's see a real argument ...
    Last edited by RamsInfiniti; -10-02-2008 at 02:13 PM.

BrokenWing is online now Registered User

Ok, now that you have fired every major coach on the team in the middle of the season, what do you do?

Other than have a huge mess on your hands and assistant coachs suddenly doing jobs they aren't ready for.

Rampingitup is offline Registered User

Actually I think this is one of the most positive things he has said to date.

"I promise they will play hard," Haslett said. "They will play hard or they’re not going to be here."

If he can actually get some effort out of some of these guys I will not have a problem with him staying. Losing isn't the only issue with me. It is how they lose. If they are playing hard and keeping the game competitive and losing, then I can live with it better than I can seeing a lot of people going through the motions and getting blown out game after game.

OldSchoolRamFan is offline Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenWing View Post
    Ok, now that you have fired every major coach on the team in the middle of the season, what do you do?

Other than have a huge mess on your hands and assistant coachs suddenly doing jobs they aren't ready for.
    Which is exactly why you do NOT fire the head coach and both coordinators after the fourth game of the season and create MORE of a mess.
    Steve

What you see is what you get, but what you see depends on where you stand.

AvengerRam is online now Moderator Emeritus

I'm happy to give him a chance. However, I think the starting presumption is that the Rams should and will bring a new coaching staff in this offseason (along with a new Front Office). If Haslett can overcome this presumption by turning this team around this year, all the better.

moloch41 is offline Registered User

Here's to hoping he's a better head coach then a defensive coordinator. I really think the fact that he wasn't "An X's an O's guy" is why we would always collapse in the 2nd half of games on defense. He just didn't know how to make an adjustment when OC's would make changes at the half. I really hope Venturi is more adapt to making in game adjustments than Jim was. And really- what I want to see from Haslett is accountablity from his players and staff. If someone sux (i.e. Hill)- he shouldn't get get the starting nod. I'm just a little worried that since Glover and Chavous are "His Guys", that he doesn't sit the young guys like Ryan again.

Quote Originally Posted by moloch41 View Post
    Here's to hoping he's a better head coach then a defensive coordinator. I really think the fact that he wasn't "An X's an O's guy" is why we would always collapse in the 2nd half of games on defense. He just didn't know how to make an adjustment when OC's would make changes at the half. I really hope Venturi is more adapt to making in game adjustments than Jim was. And really- what I want to see from Haslett is accountablity from his players and staff. If someone sux (i.e. Hill)- he shouldn't get get the starting nod. I'm just a little worried that since Glover and Chavous are "His Guys", that he doesn't sit the young guys like Ryan again.

I like this response. Rep to you mighty Moloch. If you can be this optimistic, anybody can ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast